good shocks for a stiff arse spring rate?

05Coly

I need some shocks that can handle a 605 spring rate and a warn 8274-50 winch on the front. The last hydro shocks I had allowed it to bounce too much on the big bumps, trying to eliminate that if possible with these crazy stiff springs.

monotube gas shocks are probably your best starting point. Is this a driver? trail rig? You really left out just about every bit of pertinant info.

Rich said:
monotube gas shocks are probably your best starting point. Is this a driver? trail rig? You really left out just about every bit of pertinant info.

Whoops, sorry about that, it is NOT a daily driver, its really more of a poser truck which sees some off-roading some time to time, it spends more time pounding the pavement than it does off-road though.

They sell kits to install dual shocks up front, would that be something to look into, or do you think it would just kill the ride?

You could try gas coilovers in the front first and then if it's still to bouncy go for the double. What kind of vehicle are we talking about?

Sorry, I just looked on your profile. I think on that front axle a dual shock kit (you can make it for next to nothing) consist of spacers, 2 longer bolts and a support that comes of the frame and supports the outer shock :) .

SSWaters said:
You could try gas coilovers in the front first and then if it's still to bouncy go for the double. What kind of vehicle are we talking about?

Sorry, I just looked on your profile. I think on that front axle a dual shock kit (you can make it for next to nothing) consist of spacers, 2 longer bolts and a support that comes of the frame and supports the outer shock :) .

Yep, you can get the dual shock kit for 55 bucks to do the whole front. I'm thinking about doing that.

Its for a 1985 Chevy K10 with a small block v8 and warn 8274-50 winch on the front.

It's your rig, but here's how I see it -

Dual shocks kit - $55
4x cheapy shocks - $160
Total - $215 + shipping

Or, you buy a PAIR of Bilstein 5150's in the stiff 255/70 valving for $200 shipped, and have the axle control you want, without the shitty ride.

My Bilstein copies (KYB Monomax) do a great job of controlling the 4600 lbs on the front end of my DD... think yours weighs more than that?

Rich said:
It's your rig, but here's how I see it -

Dual shocks kit - $55
4x cheapy shocks - $160
Total - $215 + shipping

Or, you buy a PAIR of Bilstein 5150's in the stiff 255/70 valving for $200 shipped, and have the axle control you want, without the shitty ride.

My Bilstein copies (KYB Monomax) do a great job of controlling the 4600 lbs on the front end of my DD... think yours weighs more than that?

Nope it doesn't weigh that much, the whole rig weighs about that much haha. Its weighs 4660 with only 9 gallons fuel, no spare, no tools/equipment.

I would rather have a better ride with the GOOD single shocks than dual crappy shocks. So i'll check into those bilsteins and save some money to pay for them lol, sounds like their worth the money.

Everyone I've spoken with says they are worth every penny..on and off road.. I've saving my pennies for a set (for the cruiser) too.

05Coly said:
Nope it doesn't weigh that much, the whole rig weighs about that much haha. Its weighs 4660 with only 9 gallons fuel, no spare, no tools/equipment.

I would rather have a better ride with the GOOD single shocks than dual crappy shocks. So i'll check into those bilsteins and save some money to pay for them lol, sounds like their worth the money.

PM Zubz, he might be able to give you a good price on those shocks. I haven't asked him about shocks yet, but what i have gotten quotes for he has given me really good prices. :)

Wolfpack OffRoad said:
PM Zubz, he might be able to give you a good price on those shocks. I haven't asked him about shocks yet, but what i have gotten quotes for he has given me really good prices. :)

Alright will do, thanks!

I'm gonna have to save some dough for these, especially since I haven't made the first payment on my new truck yet :p

Back