Gooseneck trailer?

tech701

I'm looking at a gooseneck trailer. If I get it I'll need to get a hitch for the truck (03 f250). I know nothing about through the bed style hitches. Can someone educate me on this? I know they can get expensive and I don't have to have one that folds out of the way. What should I expect to spend to get set up with just a ball sticking up in the middle of the bed?

Una Goose

Rob has one in his truck, haven't heard anything bad from him about it (other than a little whining about install :flipoff2: )

One 4" hole thru the bed, the rest is bolt in. can be a little testy to get lined up, but is stout when it is fully installed.

I've install MANY of the drill and bolt in Una Goose hitches in Fords, Chevys and Dodge, only had one failure, and that was due to a rear end accident that also folded the neck of the trailer, and also did frame damage to the truck.

last I heard they were running about $650

If ya need/want help, holler

I love it, the only pain about installing was my exhaust was in the way, and the rear shocks. But no drilling into the frame, I do check the bolts before towing, to ensure they are still tight. But I've towed to Paragon, and DC with it, no issues.

I have a uni goose in my truck and love it.

However, do not let the prices scare you away from going with a gooseneck trailer. You can go to Tractor Supply or Agri-Supply and buy a plate to go in the bed for about $100. This plate has the ball welded to it. Four bolts through the bed and chasis and you are ready to go. These are not as fancy, or removable, but will do the job. Also, there are other companies that will sell and install this for you.

If you are not familiar with towing have the place install you brake box also.

NOt my place to tell anyone what to do, but GO WITH THE GOOSENECK. They tow so much better and turn better than a tag along ever could

TURN OVER

If you install a fixed ball, you will live to regret it. There will be a time when you need a flat bed to haul an item. The turn over or fold down balls can be found for around $250.

NOt my place to tell anyone what to do, but GO WITH THE GOOSENECK. They tow so much better and turn better than a tag along ever could

I'll agree that they tow better and are the SHIT for maneuvering in tight places, but IME, turning a corner where there isn't a bunch of room, the bumper pull follows the truck better, but that's the ONLY time I prefer a bumper pull.

And yeah, what Larry Smith said. my truck came with a fixed goose ball and the fawkin thing drives me nuts. It would just be a TON of work to remove this one. (Lots of weld to grind)

I pull a 16' dovetail now. I would like to be able to pull two rigs at once so I figured I'd go with a goose neck about 24' long. I already have a brake controller. You think 24' is long enough for two well built sammy's.

I pull a 16' dovetail now. I would like to be able to pull two rigs at once so I figured I'd go with a goose neck about 24' long. I already have a brake controller. You think 24' is long enough for two well built sammy's.

A stock Sami is about 11.25 feet long, and yours may be a little longer with bumper/winch/tire carrier/whatever. I think a 24-foot trailer would be the absolute minumum you would want to try. Remember that the rig can't hang over the front of the trailer with a gooseneck. But you can let the rear hang off the back if that helps - the rear tires just need to be on the trailer with enough room to strap it down. 24-feet may work, but you'd have to measure to be sure, and you may want a couple extra feet just to make it less of a hassle.

Got maybe $50 in my gooseneck hitch all together. 1" plate 32" wide welded onto 2 pieces of angle on each end bolted to my frame w/ ball mounted in center. Rob did my plate and delivered on his way through for less than $40.
Can be a PITA when a flat bed is needed. I usually throw down a couple thick ruff cut 2x4's and a piece of plywood and pretend the ball is not there.
My plastic bed liner helps tremendously when loading odd stuff.
Only time I REALLY hate the fixed ball is when someone is loading a pallet onto the bed with a fork lift. Had to hand load a pallet of cement once cause of the ball. Forgot my 2x4's that day though. Would probably have worked like a charm with the boards?

I've got about 60K of towing with a B&W, nice setup, no issues. Easy install. Remember, measure twice, drill once.

I would just be DAMN'd if I would put a fixed ball in my truck after having a B&W turn-over ball. IMO there is no other goosneck hitch !!!!!! 24 foot is going to be tight for 2 Sammi's. Just remember you might want to tow something bigger. I have a 36 footer and want more room

You guys really think it'll be tight putting 2 sami's on a 24' trailer. My tape measure is sure telling other wise. Ya'll got me worried now.

fit

I have a 24 ft goose neck. I have a 8 1/2 ft slide-in camper on the front and I haul my bobed Toyota p/u behind it. I had to tilt the ramps back about foot to clear the back of the truck. If a Samari is under 11 ft in length, you might be ok.

Gotta remember that if you have a spare on the back and a winch on the front that in it self is a couple of feet and you want to leave a little room in front and back of front Sammi. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT JMO

length

But, I do agree with going with a longer trailer, you will not get two bobed Toyotas on a 24 ft, much less anything else.

Back