Grand Wagoneer 4L60E

What engine ?

If you have an AMC engine I'm not sure what OD trans is available that will bolt in. You'll need an adapter of sorts. And if you're adapting to a GM bellhousing pattern I'd suggest looking into a 4l80e vs the shitty 4l60e.

No matter what you'll need a TCU for these gearboxes.

One option is an EFI system and a separate standalone TCU. Holley Sniper comes to mind for a simple, high quality, fairly priced EFI conversion system. As far as TCU goes, Fast, MSD Atomic, and plenty of other companies make various systems.
Another option (maybe a lil more expensive but definitely more integrated and offering more control options) would be a Holley Terminator (NOT TerminatorX, they are different) which is a complete EFI conversion with integrated TCU. Great great option, just not cheap.

Plenty of other solutions are possible, generaly the cheaper the harder to install / less reliable but it really depends where your comfort level with electronics stands. I'm a firm Holley believer as I fell like they offer the best bang for your buck and some of the easiest to install and troubleshoot products out there.

If you need a more indepth rundown on their stuff, let me know.

Looking through parts pile the transfer case from the 4L60e is also electronically controlled. So I am assuming another adaptor for Jeep transfer case to 4L60e. Apparently another shop has put this trans in some of his other vehicles and he was happy. 4L60e made me cringe also. Thanks

Fast EZ-TCU is your answer.

The Sniper kit with intank pump will work with any tank provided that you buy/build the correct mount for it.

360 engine. Customer wants the 4L60e. He also wanted a sniper kit. The one with an in tank fuel pump. I called Holley and they couldn’t tell me if pump would work with plastic tank.
As @Bebop mentioned, he'll be much money/time ahead and you'll be headaches/greyhair ahead going with a Terminator... more robust ECU & more features than Sniper
PLUS, 1 neck to choke when you need assistance (rather than the finger pointing that WILL ensue between Holley/FAST) 😉

why not just swap that 360 for a LS? 4l60 will bolt right up and could be controlled by a stock GM computer

So my random thought is: didn’t some of the early GC have a TH400 trans? (GM trans)? How hard is it to put in a 6L/8L and adapt it with a trans controller to the “stock” tcase??

Drive shafts, yes but massive work, 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yea some of the Waggys did get a TH400.

So my random thought is: didn’t some of the early GC have a TH400 trans? (GM trans)? How hard is it to put in a 6L/8L and adapt it with a trans controller to the “stock” tcase??

Drive shafts, yes but massive work, 🤷🏼‍♂️
Those TH400 were special units with a BOPC bell-housing pattern which doesn't exist in a 6L/8L.

Also, no simple/easy to program aftermarket controller exists for the 6L/8L. Plenty of ways to drive a 6L externally, but you better know what your doing, they won't last long if the programming is less than stellar.

I stand by my message from above.

Samuel McIntyre makes bolt in engine mounts for and LS....

Also, and AW4 out of a 4.0 cherokee will bolt to a AMC v8. They also have factory TCM's that are pretty easy to integrate.

As long as you keep a good trans cooler on them they take a serious beating!! I lost a cooler one time and smoked the pump and front seals. They put a new pump and sealed the trans up and I beat the snot out of my wonton XJ for several more years.
Definitely.
You'd probably need a custom TC or flywheel to mate the AMC engine to AW4 TC. Or do they bolt up ?

As long as you keep a good trans cooler on them they take a serious beating!! I lost a cooler one time and smoked the pump and front seals. They put a new pump and sealed the trans up and I beat the snot out of my wonton XJ for several more years.
A bud has a legit 450+HP stroker in an XJ (or what's left of it) and beats on it like a Jersey loan-shark... he says the AW4 and 8.8 are the only things gone undamaged
Definitely.
You'd probably need a custom TC or flywheel to mate the AMC engine to AW4 TC. Or do they bolt up ?
Since the AMC V8s are *externally* balanced and the 4.0L *internally* balanced, at the least pulling the single counterweight off a donor 360 flexplate and afixing onto the AW4 flexplate (have done this with TH-400 flexplates for non-factory combos)? Or maybe it ain't far enough off to matter?

Regardless, it's been done repeatedly LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

A bud has a legit 450+HP stroker in an XJ (or what's left of it) and beats on it like a Jersey loan-shark... he says the AW4 and 8.8 are the only things gone undamaged

Since the AMC V8s are *externally* balanced and the 4.0L *internally* balanced, at the least pulling the single counterweight off a donor 360 flexplate and afixing onto the AW4 flexplate (have done this with TH-400 flexplates for non-factory combos)? Or maybe it ain't far enough off to matter?

Regardless, it's been done repeatedly LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You
Couldn't you just redrill the 360 flexplate for the AW4 converter in this case? That way the rotaing mass stays the same as the AW4 TC doesn't have counterweights.
I'm 99% sure the converter bolt pattern is the same. Seems all AMC has the same pattern.
This is good conversation for an OD AMC hot rod project!

Back