Grave digger sparks

rokntoy

FUCKIN SLAYER!!!
What is causing what looks like a brake problem on grave digger? There glowing to the point there almost liquid metal and there are a massive amount of sparks coming from them. Are they supposed to do that I have seen others do it also.

That is pretty normal. Very harsh pads, huge x huge calipers, lots of rotaing mass, equals friction, equals heat... And lots of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvglKKdQHI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This vid is from charlotte Friday night. You can see the glowing rotors BTW it was a gift from my wife and she didn't realize how small it was going to be. The boys and I have been joking about it for a month cause we knew what it would be like. The bad part is I got in trouble after the show because I didn't tell her how crappy it would be.

I saw that as soon as he pulled out tonight and thought damn his pinion brakes are locked up. Then a few minutes later the sparks came. Pretty damn cool if it was on purpose. And yeah, what a waste of money...the show was literally 90 minutes of advertisements, 10 minutes of shitty quads and 10 minutes of trucks.

The brakes were glowing in Greensboro last week, no sparks though.
Man that Charlotte layout sucked ass! Greensboro is even smaller, but they had a huge jump to generate some decent air. I knew it would suck (because I went in 1994), but brought the kids this time, they loved it, my 6 yr old was even throwing up the :Rockon:
We didnt get any shitty quads, they had crazy MX bikes hitting the big jump and did some kickass stunts, also with a BMX ramp underneath that. That was actually kind of cool
shitty video I shot, kids fingerprints on the lens...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjgWCIdi9i0

In the smaller "venues" they go to they actually have the brakes set up to drag. Guess it helps slow them down in a tiny area. Went a few years ago to Charlotte and they did the same thing.

Thats one of the drawbacks of pinion brakes. Normal brakes turn the same speed as the wheel and hub their mounted to. Pinion brakes turn the same speed as the driveshaft. In a rockwell rig with 6.72 gearing that means that the rotor is turning 6.72 times as fast as the wheels. Those monster trucks I believe run an even lower ratio in the axles so you can only imagine how fast that is. At 30 mph the brakes are actually moving like they're going 200 mph.

I think they run the reg 6.72 plus whatever plantetaries are. That was def one of the better runs I've seen.

They run planetary axles with gearing twice as deep as a rockwell. I've never seen a zf or other planetary with pinion brakes so I'm sure it was just for show. He was doing freestyle without using the brakes at all while they were heating up.

I was up in GSO with the kids last weekend.
I knew how small it was gonna be but remember, to the kids it is soooo Big = not for us.
I'm hoping to go in August at LMS where it is wide open and more like TV.

Got to go to one of the events held in a stadium. They run wide open and get crazy.

My 4yo doesn't care...he just loves to see the trucks. It's all about the kids anyhow :cool:

Sent via smoke signal

I was going to take the family yesterday but after reading some of these reviews I'm glad I didn't. $96 for 2 adults and 2 kids in the nose bleed section seemed crazy to me but oh well. I may have to look into the LMS thing in August since my oldest turns 5 that month. Lorenzo if you decide to do this keep me in mind and we'll sit together if you want.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 --Back-to-School Monster Truck Bash, The Dirt Track at Charlotte
got it marked on my calendar, we'll se if I can fit it in.

For me and the 3 kids, it cost $73.50 at the greensboro coliseum. That was 3x $5 kid tix (plus 4.20 convenience charge each) and my $20 ticket (plus 7.65 conv. charge, and I couldnt use the $5 off coupon from taco bell in conjunction with $5 kids tix), then a 2.50 TicketFast delivery fee (link emailed to me, I printed them out:shaking:) and a $5.75 ticketmaster order processing fee, then $10 to park.
I was glad to see them enjoy themselves, and they really liked it, so I guess it worth it

Here's a few things that had me a lil P O'd before I even got in:
Car lots were full because there was an aquatic center events (bad planning Gso officials... really)
Traffic sucked just as equally because they shut down lanes around the damn coliseum.
$9 beers (22 oz tallboys) got one and couldn't stomach another.
Small stadium, I know I know... this is my 3rd.
  • Cricket arena (Charlotte Bojangles)
  • Bobcat Arena (Time warner downtown Charlotte)
  • And now the Greensboro Coliseum.
I don't think I'll be doing another indoor monster Jam.
I do have a line on some good deal seats and tix for August already. Nothing more than that right now.
Hope to hear something in the summer and I'll def let you know Ken

another thing that sucked was being in winter, we couldnt sport our 4x4 T-shirts. It was cold inside, I think they had the doors open the entire time.

We went to MJ the first time they came to the new bobcats arena. Th old Charlotte col. was bigger and at least tolerable. Lane was I guess 7 when at the Bobcats deal, afre the first round he said, "Dad this is lame."
I have taken him to Atlanta twice. It is obviously a much longer drive (3.5 hours each way for us) but since the stadium holds like 85k the tickets were like $15-20/each and since it is a football stadium they actually have room.

Definitely recommend it for anyone with kids.

BTW the back to school deal is always cool. We should get a crew together and hang out.

Back