grinding calipers

Tobers

so after extensive research and looking at the dana website and asking several different peoples' opinions i'm pretty sure I have the right calipers for my dana 30 but for some reason they rub a little bit even though the old ones didn't. I've heard some people take a grinder to them to take a few tenths of an inch off so the wheels don't rub. Is that ok or not such a good idea?

Like everything else, it depends :) You can grind the calipers. I have done it on several rigs. Can you grind off too much and ruin the caliper? Yes Can you grind off enough to make it fit and still be functional? Yes I paint the caliper with a spray can. Put the wheel on. Spin to see where the rubbing is. Grind off a small amount. Redo. Here is a pic of an F-250 dual piston caliper I did on an old rig. You can see in the upper portion I took about a 1/4" off. Depends on the caliper as to how much you can take and where on the caliper it needs to be ground. The current Dana 60 GM calipers I have on my rig now have been ground and have held up fine for 4 years. It can be done, if take care and take your time.

Back