Grocery Shopping

thats wasn't serious. Just a crack at how expensive (good) booze has gotten.
<shrug> Like everything else, I buy on sale and nothing crappy but 2022 dollhairs.

So, Saturday, we made our 2nd trip to Aldi for this weeks groceries and we walked out with a total spent of $149 compared to last weeks total of $180 at the same place. So far, I am digging Aldi, although I hate how small/crowded it is.

Quick update from our end. Aldis/instacart has jacked up their fees and we are seriously looking at dropping that. It was an additional $20 to get it delivered.

So, Saturday, we made our 2nd trip to Aldi for this weeks groceries and we walked out with a total spent of $149 compared to last weeks total of $180 at the same place. So far, I am digging Aldi, although I hate how small/crowded it is.
So how did you do, consuming the $180 groceries?

Haven’t fact checked…but pretty cool if they are…

306504A0-981F-43AB-89A4-C533AA51B97C.jpeg

Haven’t fact checked…but pretty cool if they are…

View attachment 384804
Overheard 2 weeks ago, inside the Aldi board meeting: "Hey guys, we still haven't used up the glut of leftover cranberry sauce from 2020, and it expires at the end of the year, and we're gonna lose our asses on it. Anybody got any ideas?"

Overheard 2 weeks ago, inside the Aldi board meeting: "Hey guys, we still haven't used up the glut of leftover cranberry sauce from 2020, and it expires at the end of the year, and we're gonna lose our asses on it. Anybody got any ideas?"

Quick google check says they are actually doing it...can't find a list of what's included or what the 30% relates to (their own price vs competitors or their Oct price vs their Nov price)...so maybe it is just a charitable expiration dump.

We didn't actually make our weekly grocery run last week. It'd been late in the week, the week before, so I did some bulk meat prep on Monday and we ate from that and the pantry. The girls and I did take a quick trip to the nearest Food Lion last Friday to pick some things for a quick trip out of town and spent $60 on (from memory) 2 gal whole milk (more expensive than HT), a loaf of bread (more expensive than HT), a pound of deli ham, a case of bottled water, a bag of frozen french fries, 3# apples, 2# bananas, blueberries, 4 bags of salad mix, a bag of crab chips (FL is the only place that carries those), a bag of the good tortilla chips, and 2# of butter (bc Thanksgiving)...

Why do people buy cases of bottled water? Why not invest in a 5 gallon water dispenser for the house and have hot and cold at your disposal to put in your own coat and not waste plastic? Not trying to start shit but legitimately asking because it’s worked for us for a lot of years 5 gallon bottle exchange at Lowe’s is like five bucks.

Why do people buy cases of bottled water? Why not invest in a 5 gallon water dispenser for the house and have hot and cold at your disposal to put in your own coat and not waste plastic? Not trying to start shit but legitimately asking because it’s worked for us for a lot of years 5 gallon bottle exchange at Lowe’s is like five bucks.
Convenience, ignorance, and laziness. Same reason Jeff Bezos is a billionaire.

Because most of the bottled water I drink is on the go and at work. Its WAY cleaner than one of those orange water coolers that has to be cleaned all the time, the nozzle gets cruddy on the work truck and its a pain in the ass.

Because most of the bottled water I drink is on the go and at work. Its WAY cleaner than one of those orange water coolers that has to be cleaned all the time, the nozzle gets cruddy on the work truck and its a pain in the ass.
A couple large Nalgene type bottles will last the day and can be washed weekly. Problem solved. A large jug to me is a waste as I view hydration to be an individual requirement. (Unless you’re actually consuming that volume of water a day??).

So we needed some things this week that Aldi doesn't carry. (Dairy Free stuff for the wife) So we ended up at Walmart... Aldi is def. the better option here, we spend less and get more food. So I think we are going to just have to make multiple trips sometimes, but Aldi seems to be the best option for us.

It's a rare thing for us to buy bottled water but it's a 'nice to have' for 'hospitality' reasons... we have plenty of reusable bottles and bladders for hiking and mountain biking, but it's nice to have a couple of spare 'disposable' bottles packed in a cooler or just in the door of the truck if you run into someone without or... whatever. We probably buy a case every 4-6 months.

$100 YoY increase

Back