harnesses

bigwaylon

3-point? 4-point? 5-point? just add a lap belt?

getting ready to cage the TJ...and trying to figure out what to do...didn't find much of anything when searching for "harness" on here, as most was electrical stuff...

who's running harnesses? brands? opinions?

stock seats? aftermarket?

what would you do different?

do they make some that you can just wear as a 3 point harness when scootin' around town, and hook the rest up on the trail?

Greg

Greg I am using a 4 pt harness in my heep. I was running racing seats but now I have some Honda seats I had recovered with marine grade material. I just use the lap belt part until on the hard stuff. Mine have a regular seatbelt type fastener. I like it better than the combination type buckle. Got them off of Ebay for like $50.

Using RCI 4-pts. in my FJ. You can get them from race guys who have to replace them because they are too old, but they work fine for us...

If it was a DD, I'd leave the factory system in place, and add the harnesses on. That way you can have an easy to use belt with a reel for day-to-day use.

EDIT: a 3-point and a 4-point are almost the same.. the 3-point just has a 'Y' in the shoulder harness.. it's still the same as a 4-point at the buckle, if you're talking "race style" harnesses. The 5th point, the crotch or anti-submarine belt, is overkill IMO for what we do, but that's just my opinion.

looking at some 4-point belts on Ebay (there's a pair of brand new RCI ones sitting at $20 right now)...

I see some brands are an "H" setup, and some are a "Y"...although some of the "Y" harness are described as 3-point instead of 4-point, but they all look the same...

can both of these styles be used with stock seats?

or will I need new seats for either option? if so, a 3" lap belt may be my choice...

Greg

gonna revive an old thread of mine for some more input...

I'm "almost" positive I just want to add some 3" lap belts for the trail...

I know Brandon runs them, but who else?

I see ones from RJS on Ebay in the $30-$40 range like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RJS-50502-Harne...oryZ6779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/RJS-505027-Harn...oryZ6779QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

then, I go to Summit and find other 2-point lap belts that are over $100...

seems to be latch type are cheaper, cam-lock gets real pricey...

will the ~$35 3" belts handle what I need? simple as bolting both ends through the tub?

Thanks.
Greg

I have 4 point in buggy, only put on shoulder belts twice, pita to drive, see with them. I've rolled twice with only lap belt, no proplem for me or GF. Thad's rolled with only lap belt too. It's not hard to hook regular(cheap) ones if you only use lap belt-kinda hard to hook all 4 with them.

I'm going the route of the simple "latch style" 3" belt. From one brand to the next I'm not sure if I can really tell a difference. Do they come with the eyelets to mount them to the floor with?

-Staton

I've got the RCI 5 points up front. Wife likes to strap all 5 on them on, but I can't stand wearing more than just the 3 Inch lap belt. The lap belt can be tight and you can still move the upper body easy, but you can feel that if you rolled the 3" belt is plenty to hold you to the seat.

I have stock seats right now....find for the lap belt, but with the H style shoulders its a pita to find the top belts. I may get some inserts put in the wifes seats to hold hers.

I have the lever style belt and with the lap its easy, now with the 5 points it as well is a pita getting them all together.

I just picked up a set of corbeau 3 points (Y style) for the kids. They have the standard one click buckle and are 2". If I did it again I would get the one click buckle's with a 3" lap and only 2" shoulder in either Y or H for me and the wife, but for now....just gonna laugh at the wife and only wear the lap belt myself.

ProjekTJ said:
I'm going the route of the simple "latch style" 3" belt. From one brand to the next I'm not sure if I can really tell a difference. Do they come with the eyelets to mount them to the floor with?
-Staton

I'm going to get some probably this Saturday, or one day next week...maybe we could run up there together...

Andy pointed me to a shop in Huntersville that sells "used" lap belts (they buy them from race teams)...basically they just have expired dates on them...

I called them today, and they said they had several in stock...and it would run me about $40/pair...

they have the eyelets on each end that you just have to run a bolt through the floor...

Greg

bigwaylon said:
I'm going to get some probably this Saturday, or one day next week...maybe we could run up there together...
Andy pointed me to a shop in Huntersville that sells "used" lap belts (they buy them from race teams)...basically they just have expired dates on them...
I called them today, and they said they had several in stock...and it would run me about $40/pair...
they have the eyelets on each end that you just have to run a bolt through the floor...
Greg
Most of those eyelets screw into your factory seatbelt holes in the floor.

try to find some with the camlock instead of the lever style. the camlock is much easier to fasten.

I'd like to run to that place in Huntersville sometime. PM me with some more info on it...or post it wherever. I'll be around this weekend.

dont have any tech really, just wanted to brag that my oh-so-hot girlfriend got me JRS 3", 5-pt harnesses for valentines

:flipoff2:

I have 5 point Simpson harnesses in my YJ. Got them from BSR Products, about a mile north of Lowes Motor speedway. Don't remember the price, but they were cheaper than the Simpson store in front of the speedway.

I got some 5 point harnesses off ebay, they were the cheapest thing on there, ended up being $108 shipped for both harnesses.

They are not name brand, but are SFI 16.1 approved, as well as being brand new. A friend bought some used Simpson belts that were dated like 1997 and 1999 for $60, I compared them, they look EXACTLY the same except they don't say SIMPSON.

yeah...I shoulda posted...

I went one day last week and it was a complete waste of time...

might just get some from the shop right down from CRS....

Greg

Back