Headliner using flannel material

cody cherry

Thinking about replacing my old and worn out headliner with flannel material in my Cherokee. Anyone ever done it before and if so do y’all have any pics or good pointers to do so? Thanks!

@CasterTroy is the flannel king I do believe! But I’ve not seen any flannel rock rings on his rig to date, mostly bc I’m not on the trails at this point in my life! Lol I’ve never seen what your wanting done but I’d imagine it would be simple enough as using same techniques as any other fabric for headliner! Except way more kickass! Pics please when you do this!

This is pretty useless without pics to steal ideas from

#flannelman

Screenshot_20190106-212542_Chrome~2.jpg

I'm also looking for headliner ideas for the van overhead in the rv.
I’d do some kind of night time star light pattern in the RV! Would be even cooler if they were glow in the dark... since you’ll be sleeping in luxury you could at least have some constellations to look at!

The only worry I have is that the flannel material wouldn’t be as think as your traditional headliner material so the adhesive would bleed through and make it look crap.

I’d do some kind of night time star light pattern in the RV! Would be even cooler if they were glow in the dark... since you’ll be sleeping in luxury you could at least have some constellations to look at!
Lol. Yeah.

Wait..I'm talking about the little bit of headliner just above the driving compartment. Hope not to be sleeping in drivers seat:D

Lol. Yeah.

Wait..I'm talking about the little bit of headliner just above the driving compartment. Hope not to be sleeping in drivers seat:D
Ha oh I thought ya meant the whole thing!! In that case make it shag in ya fav color and let everyone be jealous! Hahaha

The only worry I have is that the flannel material wouldn’t be as think as your traditional headliner material so the adhesive would bleed through and make it look crap.
That’s a good point I’m sure there’s flannel pattern headliner somewhere online! I mean I’ve seen low riders with naked chicks as headliner patterns...

If the material doesn't have a foam backing on it, it's going to be a pain in the ass to deal with. You'd also be money ahead to get a cheap paint gun to spray the adhesive with. I just had mine done a few weeks ago and after seeing how they do it, I'd never attempt it with spray cans again.

That's down to the type of adhesive and how it's applied. The proper adhesive shouldn't bleed unless it's been overapplied, as it's just a spray contact adhesive that should stay on the surface. It's "webby" when it's sprayed if it's setup properly.

Did some more research and Im gonna go to the local Hobby Lobby to pick up some
fliece material. I’ve herd the 3M Supper 77 adhesive is the best to use for headliners expesially if you want it to last over time. Gonna buy the materials today hopefully and complete the project tomorrow. If I do so I’ll attract pictures in here!

Did some more research and Im gonna go to the local Hobby Lobby to pick up some
fliece material. I’ve herd the 3M Supper 77 adhesive is the best to use for headliners expesially if you want it to last over time. Gonna buy the materials today hopefully and complete the project tomorrow. If I do so I’ll attract pictures in here!
Spray with wide overlapping patterns from at least 12 to 14 inches away. Two coats per piece. Both backing and cloth should be sprayed.
Take care to place once....like a sticker for no bubbles. Over working it causes loss in contact. Roll it on to itself if you will. Let it stand as directed before putting together. It has very specific working Windows. Letting it set makes it bond much better.
Don't apply in temperature extremes either way of possible.

Have some help or a well laid plan.

3M makes a spray can headliner adhesive, 38808. Permatex also makes one. The best you can do is landau top adhesive (green snot) and a spray gun, but I'd use either the 3M or Permatex headliner adhesive before Super 77.
Super 77 works okay, and it's easy to find, which is why it's popular. There are better products out there.

Last edited:
If you want to see how well the Super 77 (does n't) work, I can post a picture of the regular cab headliner I did with it. I'd definitely use something better.

Of course everything takes longer then anticipated but it’s finally done and I couldn’t be happier with it. Some people are gonna like it and others will hate it, either way I could care less. I like different and this is certainly out of the ordinary.

Back