help me on batteries....

Clubbs

I want to get my son a rc truck for his 6 year old birthday. I'm looking at the traxxas summit mostly because I can set it in crawl mode for a while until he gets used to it and the top speed is only abotu 20-25 so its not crazy fast and too far out of his league. But I haven't been into RC's since I was a kid and I always had nitros because I hated waiting around to charge batteries. I had a 15 minute charger for my few electrics back then and that was ok but battery technology has certainly advanced.

My goal for his truck is pretty much nonstop running and only having to buy 6 batteries. Since the Summit takes 2 packs to run that would give me 3 complete sets. here's my questions:

what are the different types of batteries... lippos etc??

how long does it take to charge each different type of battery?

there must be compromises to make if you want a quick charge battery right? what are these compromises? are they weaker, don't last as long, fewer charge cycles?

a general list of what is the most expensive down to the least expensive would be helpful.

Any other battery and charger advise would also be appreciated.

Dave

I just upgraded to LIPO in my Wraith, I have about a hour and a half on the first charge and it's still going. I RC crawl with Navacayne76 on here, we run basically the same set up and he is getting 3-4 hours on a charge. We both have 4000 mih Sky lipos. Not to mention, with the LIPO I probably have twice the power, higher burst and I get more wheel spin.

IMO, Lipos are the way to go. They nay be more expensive but youneed fewer batteries for the same run time. Pluss they don't have acquire a memory like the old NICAD packs.

I don't know all the technical crap that goes along with them, but I do know I will never go back to NICAD.

You can get a charger that will charge everything fairly cheap these days. Charging times will still vary depending on the battery type and size. Lipos are nice and you can get long run times but, you must take extra care when it comes to charging, carrying around and storage. With that in mind and since it will be a starter RC for a young son, I'd say go with nimh batteries. They are inexpensive, easy to maintain and with a high enough mah would do just as good in a summit as a lipo would.

I just upgraded to LIPO in my Wraith, I have about a hour and a half on the first charge and it's still going. I RC crawl with Navacayne76 on here, we run basically the same set up and he is getting 3-4 hours on a charge. We both have 4000 mih Sky lipos. Not to mention, with the LIPO I probably have twice the power, higher burst and I get more wheel spin.

IMO, Lipos are the way to go. They nay be more expensive but youneed fewer batteries for the same run time. Pluss they don't have acquire a memory like the old NICAD packs.

I don't know all the technical crap that goes along with them, but I do know I will never go back to NICAD.
You charging at 5 amps if not it will take longer

My son has a older 3rd. Traxxus pickup. It gets used sporadically. Is it best to store the batteries depleted or fully charged. His sat and two packs was bad and the motor was suggested to be replaced. He's been learnin on it and how to better maintain. Any thoughts on this??

Back