Help me outfit my fishing gear for Ocracoke in April

thecarman

My wife and I are going to Ocracoke over Easter weekend and plan to fish a lot. Surf fishing only. We thought about chartering a boat, but we'll have the dog with us, and she flips out and breaks stuff if we leave her locked up in a crate. :shaking:

For experienced OBX fishermen - what kind of tackle should I take with me?

I've surf-fished a lot, but just use the two-hook leader with pyramid weight to fish on the bottom. I'd like a little more variety, maybe catch something bigger. What are some baits, lures, and different setups I should try? Flounder rig?

I've got 2 surf rods plus some lighter rods.

I don't want to wait until I get down there and then buy some random stuff like I usually do. Want to try to plan ahead this time.

We'll be in my Suburban, so will be able to travel the island to find where they are biting.

Thanks!
Richard

I can't really suggest much on the gear really cause it seems like you have been using the same setup as I have always used when my family went down. Infact I don't know much about fishing Ocracoke either. But since you are able to travel I suggest taking the ferry over to Cape Hatteras and going out on the point. Pulled in some nice fish there the last time I was down which was nearly 3 yrs ago. Ended up pulling in 3 sharks that year so you may want a gaff hook just in case. As far as bait we either used our bait net to catch some of the smaller fish swimming closer to shore or went and bought some frozen baits(usualy fish or some squid) I'm hoping I'll get to go back down this year with my uncle we usualy go between June and Sept. Experiment with your weights a bit some are too light and will let it drift out or in farther and some are too heavy so that you bury the bait in sand and nothing really goes for it. Also watch for those friggin seagulls I hooked one once as it dove for my bait.

Edit: We mainly fished the point at night so if you do the same make sure you run ONLY PARKING LIGHTS when you head out. One guy didn't and was promptly chased away by several angry fishermen.

It all depends what you want to catch. For a good all-around setup for catching dinner I would take two 12ft surf rods, a couple 10 footers and a bass rod if you want to catch some flounder. As far as terminal tackle goes, the bottom rigs with two hooks you are talking about work good for mullet, spot, flounder and other bottom fish in the surf. For these fish you should use some small hooks and fresh shrimp. Also try those rigs with cut squid and see how that work. I would use these rigs on the 10 ft rods and cast them out around the sandbars and in the breakers. For those big 12 footers I like to use blue rigs which are similar to the bottom rigs but they have bigber floats. These rigs with some medium sized hooks are lethal to bluefish and drum. But if you are fishing in a strong current keep in mind these rigs will get taken down the beach witht he current. If the current is strong you might want to try some rigs without any floats. Take a variety of different weights. Id buy pyramid sinkers from 1 ounce all the way up to 5. You can always mix em up and use a 5 with a 2 if you want more weight. If you are going to cast heavy baits with heavy sinkers be sure to tie on a shock leader. Tie some 60lb monofilament onto your main line so there is enough to have about 5 wraps of it around your spool when your ready to cast. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen 5 bucks in leaders, rigs, hooks and weights fly 100 yards into the oceanw hen my 17lb line broke trying to cast. Now youve got a couple rods out as far as you can cast for big fish, some in the breakers for bottom fish and now your ready to relax. Also be sure to use the pvc rod holders that are about 3 ft long, not the little cheap ones that get pulled in the water when a 5lb fish tugs on the line. Make a check list before you leave with an assorment of hooks, weights, leaders, rigs, fillet knife, pliars, swivels, beads and enough line to spool up a reel. Bait is all personal preference but I dont like anything better than some cut mullet and shrimp. And if you want to try for something big like a red drum or shark, throw out a live pinfish or whiting. Have fun and dont forget a first aid kid. If you have half as many accidents as me in remote fishing locations you will be glad you have clean gauze pads and band aids. I usually start making my list a couple months ahead and add on as I remember things. You are doing good planning ahead this much.

What they said.. All I've ever used is a heavy duty ocean rod with an ocean rig (leader)- squid/shrimp from the shore. Socialize to see what everyone else is having luck on when you get there. LONG NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS....... Not yelling speaking from expirience

Also you may want to check out the forum at ncfisherman.com for good reports. Im not sure that the big blues school around Ocracoke but I could be wrong. Another thing is take a book that has all the fish species of the Atlantic Ocean in it to ID fish. Be careful about how you handle certain species. I made a stupid mistake last april at CL Island by sticking my hand inside the gills of a red drum to handle it. My thumb and 3 fingers got smashed real bad from the crunchers they use to crush shellfish with. I also got impaled this winter in the leg by a spiny dogfish that I did not know was equiped with barbs. A gaff is also a great idea in case you hook something big and dont want to handle it ( like a 50 lb skate).
One of the funnest parts about surf fishing is you get to build a custom rod holder for your truck! Mabye you already have one I dont know. But I had a ball building a rack for the front of my truck that holds 8 rods. I also built 6 rod holders on a rack that attaches to the trailer hitch reciever on the back of my truck. I always went surf fishing with 9+ rods. If you do drive with rods on the front of your rig cover them with plastic grocery bags or reel covers. Dirt and bugs love to screw up reels. Im gona try to get some pics of my setup.

10,11,12Ft Ticas or Tsunamis put a Diawa SLSH30 on them. Will cost you about $200 a piece. Put the heavy brakes on them to start and learn.
Hit Hatteras Jacks or RDT for bait. 15-20lb Trilene Big Game, Drum riges w/ 1-2ft of 60lb Florocarbon, weights from 1 oz to 8oz. Kahle or/0-6/0 circle hooks, fresh bunker for bait.
Fire up a stogie, crack a beer and fish.
I hit Hatteras 2-3 times a year and catch more tahn my fair share. Helps to know how to read the beach at low tide to find a slough and fish the edges.
Usually I am flounder gigging from the ferry docks to the inlet. Passing up the 1-2lbrs for the 4-10lbrs. I can gig more in a night than you can catch from teh surf in a week:flipoff2:

Attachments

• Vacation 7 14 05 015.jpg
    Vacation 7 14 05 015.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 200
Two of my favorite rigs are a pair of 8' flipping sticks custom built by Bill Poe's Custom Rods on G.Loomis blanks with an Abu 6500 on each rod. One spooled with 12lb P-Line and the other with 15lb Sufix line using florocarbon leaders. When the fish are close in I find I use these two rods more than I do my larger surf rods. I have caught citation size drum on Portsmouth island with both of these combos.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't overlook the fun using lighter tackle or under rate it either.

Good luck on your trip!

<><Fish

I mostly watch the guys fish, while I fall asleep in my chair, so I can't help there. We have been to Ocracoke a few times, so I'll throw in a couple of othe suggestions.

When you get a chance, make sure you swing by the Pelican for happy hour. Sit out on the porch and eat 15 cent shrimp til you pop. :D They also have a very good beer selection. They're right on 12, about halfway between the Anchorage Inn and the rental place where 12 turns up the island.

Since you're gonna have the pup along, I'll plug the Anchorage Inn (www.theanchorageinn.com). They're one of the only dog friendly hotels on the island. If you're gonna camp, I'd highly recommend the Beachcomber Campground.

Jeff

Back