help pick a tow rig

Agreed... That's why the big 3 build both gassers & smokers

Another thought in the gasser line... the Chevy '01+ 2500/3500 trucks/Avalanches with the 8.1L/Allison-4L85E are strong & likely in your price range. While the mileage may bite a little (keep in mind that gas is still cheaper than diesel in the 10mpg range), I can guarantee no issues towing anything in the mountains with one!

:beer:

I tell ya I love my chevy 6.0 crew cab 4x4! Its got all the pulling power I need but when it comes to the gas I wont buy another 6.0! Somwhere around 8-10mpg around town with or without a trailer & 12-13 mpg highway with no trailer

Folks on the majority of the Chevy boards report a substantial MPG & power increase with a simple tune ($200-$400), like BlackBear, etc...

How much to replace glow plugs in 95 psd?

'95's similar to the older IDI engines, so about $7-10 each (x however many are bad). You can test them with a test lamp first. The GP controller (contactor) might also be suspect, which can be tested also.

I was warned explicitly about using only Autolite GPs... other cheaper brands may kink/crook/swell, causing the stem to break off in the head = PITA (pulling heads to get them out).

Is a 95 a good year to buy? I have a line on a cc dually with 150k that needs a lil work for cheap. Is there anything diff from 95 to the newer years of 96 and 97?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

If they are on the outside of the head (non powerstroke) its about the same as changin sparkplugs.

Is a 95 a good year to buy? I have a line on a cc dually with 150k that needs a lil work for cheap. Is there anything diff from 95 to the newer years of 96 and 97?

96 and 97 is a better option.First and second year for the powerstrokes.

From my Google searching information 95 was first year of powerstroke..... and 94 started a few psd. If I'm wrong let me know as ill not be as interested if its not psd. It says psd below f350 on the fender. This truck has had the same owner for years and I know them personally.

its highly recomended to only use motorcraft glow plugs, on the powerstrokes you have to remove the valve cover and theres a 10mm bolt holding it on, there pretty straight forward, i would highly recomend buying a 7.3psd there great trucks and very dependable, ive had a 97 and 2000 dodge with the ctd, and the cummins are great but they come with a dodge wich in my opinion are crap. i got my 99.5 f250 with the 7.3 and am very happy with it 184k and it dont miss a beat. i have friends with 7.3 with well over 200k and there still great trucks

powerstokes started in 94.5 i believe

BINGO... the 94 model started with a 7.3l IDI then a 7.3l TURBO IDI the the 7.3l DI Powerstroke

Id say if it has 150k go for it. You just got to pull the valve covers but it could just be the GPR as already stated. you can use a DVOM to test the GPR and you can test the glow plugs themselves with out pulling the valve covers by testing at the valve cover harness plug. do you know what other problems it has?

EDIT: the 94-95 model had the least base HP but that's easily correctable with a good tune

my 96 2wd 5 speed cc got 18-19 empty,the guy I got it off of said he got 20-21 but never I saw it.My 01 cc 2wd dually is around 15 empty w the automatic.

Duramax/Allison. Nuff said.
I pull a 32' gooseneck with two rigs on it.
Weighs in at 25000#
Pulls it at way faster than the speed limit!
Flame on you haters! Or follow me up 321 friday.

Duramax/Allison. Nuff said.
I pull a 32' gooseneck with two rigs on it.
Weighs in at 25000#
Pulls it at way faster than the speed limit!
Flame on you haters! Or follow me up 321 friday.
Somebody always has to turn it into a pissin contest.:shaking:

Somebody always has to turn it into a pissin contest.:shaking:
Why did you make this harsh statement at me sir?
I merely stated what works for me.

Why did you make this harsh statement at me sir?
I merely stated what works for me.
Maybe so but you done in a embelished way.Inviting people to follow you up 321 is a little arogant dont ya think???

Maybe so but you done in a embelished way.Inviting people to follow you up 321 is a little arogant dont ya think???
Please define arrogant?
Not this ol boy. Humble i am.

And i really pull two rigs everywhere i go. Mine and my wifes.

Been looking at this one myself but themileage and the owner knows nothing about the truck. Dont know when the vp44 was replaced and at that mileage if I aint been done it will be very soon. Thats a $1000 plus the $350 or more for a good fuel system. Dont let it scare you just something to think about.

Theres always one redneck in the crowd that thinks his stuff is better no matter what and has to show his ignorance.
First of ll the mansaid he aint wanting to spend over $3000 so a duramax is out of the question.
Second just because it says duramax/allison doesnt mean it wil do anything you want. The allison is not a true allison and is actually a pretty poor design. It is proven the allison is very quick to tear up once you put power to it.
Third, do me a favor go up a mountain pulling 25000# and dont look at the temp guage. You will find out real quick how bad that duramax is when you melt it down.
Last,before you start a pissing match ill tell you ive forgotten more about disels than you will ever know so just go away please, and your post didnt help thing so please atleast read a thread before you post.

Juiced coupe im sorry to hijack your thread but that cra) really pisses me off

Not looking for a pissing match. OP on post #1 is looking for a tow rig. I gave my opinion. That is all.

Back