Help with my gas heat bill.

Yeah, we got the gas and utilities bills from last year...gas bill is about $100 higher than last year this time per the PO.
Im just going to blame it on the colder than normal weather. sucks trying to save money by not being as comfortable as you'd like to be and still have to pay out the wazoo...but oh well.... time to crank up the heat and be comfortable now! :)

.... doesn't look like this weeks gonna help any either.... since it gets so hot up stairs maybe try turning the fan on your furnace from auto, to on. The fan will continuously run keeping the air moving even when the heat isn't on. Good Luck

My gas bill this month was $200, but my house is built in the late 50's.

My mom has a gas well on her property in wv, so hers is free (and she gets a check!). She keeps the house 80* and last winter the wife and I spent the night and had to leave the window open while it snowed. I'd love to stand back and look at a trermal camera image of that house in the winter.

we just bought a house in August.....water and heat run off of gas. The house was built in 97' and is about 2200 sq ft,very well insulated top and bottom but does have some vaulted ceilings. We keep our thermostat at 67 degrees all the time BUT gas is about to kill us since december lol! We have filled our 320 gallon tank almost every month(we are on the routine route w our gas company) and its been running about 350-400 everytime they come averaging about 2.19-2.40 a gallon. Then this month came a few days ago and it was almost 700 bucks at right over 3 bucks a gallon because of this gas "shortage" lol...... ANyways this bill is about to kill us, we have a fireplace w gas logs, im about to rip them out, put in an insert and burn wood. Thoughts??? Anyone have a good insert I can get? lol

lots of good ones on CL (lots of junk too). My father in law found a nice Buck stove for 50.00.... he couldn't get there fast enough to pick that thing up....

we just bought a house in August.....water and heat run off of gas. The house was built in 97' and is about 2200 sq ft,very well insulated top and bottom but does have some vaulted ceilings. We keep our thermostat at 67 degrees all the time BUT gas is about to kill us since december lol! We have filled our 320 gallon tank almost every month(we are on the routine route w our gas company) and its been running about 350-400 everytime they come averaging about 2.19-2.40 a gallon. Then this month came a few days ago and it was almost 700 bucks at right over 3 bucks a gallon because of this gas "shortage" lol...... ANyways this bill is about to kill us, we have a fireplace w gas logs, im about to rip them out, put in an insert and burn wood. Thoughts??? Anyone have a good insert I can get? lol

What kind of "gas"? Sounds more like you're on propane or fuel oil if a truck is coming to the house. Both of those are expensive and poor choices for primary heating in this part of the country. CNG and electric are cheaper.

Also, keep in mind that it's not surprising to see a residential thermostat off by +/- 3 degrees. Add a couple of drafty windows into the equation, and a house that says the thermostat is on 70F might feel colder than one that says it's 65F.

Propane sorry* and yes trust me I never wanted gas heat or water but its what the house came with and dont have the funds to spend on changing it now so kinda stuck lol

At our old house we had an older style thermostat (liquid filled tube, something like that) and our power bill was almost $400 each month in winter. House was always cold even though it was set on 70 degrees. Turns out, this style thermostat would fluctuate ALL the time. If you walked past it, the draft from the person walking by, would cause the temp reading to drop several degrees and the heat would come on.

Solution was to install a new thermostat. The following month our bill was cut in half. So we spent about $150 to save over $200 during each of the winter months. That really helped us in our situation

At our old house we had an older style thermostat (liquid filled tube, something like that) and our power bill was almost $400 each month in winter. House was always cold even though it was set on 70 degrees. Turns out, this style thermostat would fluctuate ALL the time. If you walked past it, the draft from the person walking by, would cause the temp reading to drop several degrees and the heat would come on.

Solution was to install a new thermostat. The following month our bill was cut in half. So we spent about $150 to save over $200 during each of the winter months. That really helped us in our situation

I tel lyou what, since I replaced our thermostat a few weeks ago (thread on here somewhere) I have noticed a HUGE different in the behavior of our system. We had the old school mercury tube style also, replaced w/ a $35 simple programmable unit. It used to run all the time, in short bursts. Now it rarely runs. I can feel the swing/temp diff when it does, but I'd bet the daily run time is 1/2 as much or less. Won't know for a while if it's actually saving me $$ but in my head it is... and that's all that matters...

I tel lyou what, since I replaced our thermostat a few weeks ago (thread on here somewhere) I have noticed a HUGE different in the behavior of our system. We had the old school mercury tube style also, replaced w/ a $35 simple programmable unit. It used to run all the time, in short bursts. Now it rarely runs. I can feel the swing/temp diff when it does, but I'd bet the daily run time is 1/2 as much or less. Won't know for a while if it's actually saving me $$ but in my head it is... and that's all that matters...

I have the trend charts from Duke Energy to prove that it worked for me

I spent the last few years doing lots of insulation upgrades to my home, which was built in 1960 and had empty wall cavities and 4" of attic insulation. The first winter and summer were horrible and even dealing with very uncomfortable temperatures inside the house resulted in expensive heating/cooling bills (I have natural gas heat). So in 2009/2010 it was possible to get energy credits on your taxes, so I stacked up. I ripped all the walls open, insulated past current code requirements, then cleaned out the attic and double rolled the thing past code requirements. Spent a few thousand dollars and quite a bit of my time on all of it. But now, my same furnace burns half as much gas in similar weather (my gas bill gives me graphs with historical usage and last year's average temps). In the summer the experience has been similar, my electric bill was slashed significantly. I sealed up around all the outside wall receptacles with those foam gaskets, re-sealed my window sashes to cut drafts, installed seals around my attic stairs, sealed and insulated all the ductwork in the attic, etc. It was a ton of "hidden" work that doesn't make my house any prettier or more marketable but I can now leave it set at 72° all winter and have bills that are a fraction of what other people pay to stay "colder" in their homes. That comfort is what I was after and it was all worth it.

Good luck. I would see if you can get someone to come in with a thermal camera and find all your leaks. You may have just one big one, who knows? When it comes to air leaks, even small ones make a big difference.

Guess I didn't pay too much attention to last month's power bill, from Duke. Then got new power bill today=Holy Crap! I did Look back! Actually, my Nov26-Dec30 with 34 days billing, was $139. That's High, for me!
Today I get the Dec30-Jan31 /32 days/ at $176!!!! My average cost per day, rose $1.38. Must prove it Was COLD, + I've been home more days, instead of at work. DanG!:kaioken:

depending on gas or electric...remove and plug one burner on you furnace if its gas, if its electric you can install an outdoor thermostat that wont let the heat strips run unless its less than 30-35, what ever you set it at

few ideas to use less, spend less

Back