Help

Stoney0102

I know this is off topic, but my Jeep is hurt real bad. last night I changed the trans fulid, and pulled the pan to change the filter. I used a liquid gasket to reseal and bloted it back on. Now for a 98 xj the book says 4 quarts or 8 liters for a dry fill. I assumed this was a dry fill, and put in 8 liters(which is almost 7 quarts), cut to now, i just drove back to school and noticed I was somking a bit, well i get back and and fing there is trans fuild all under the bottom of the the jeep. did i over fill, or are my seals bad?

What does the dipstick say? go by that.. typically, with the engine idling, in neutral.

Use the gasket next time.

I remember something about the liquid gasket that the Tacomas use... it says to let it set for like 24 hours before replacing the fluid. Did the gasket material you used require anything like that?

It didnt say, but a friend of mine just told me that b/c i didnt drain the toqur converter, it only needed 4 quarts, not 7. So it is heavily over filled. And no I have used this liquid gasket for other things, diff and etc. Its rated to high heat as well.

Read the manual for volumes, it should mention the torque converter.
I'll repeat Rich's last, what does the dipstick say?

As of now, a lil over max, Im guessing the most of the extra is spread over about 30 miles over 485. I feel like a dumbass lol.

you were doing a wet fill. just a normal drain doesn't remove all of the fluid. sounds like you just way overfilled it. hopefully the excess just came out of the vent. if you have an aw4, they're pretty hard to hurt.

Maybe in the future he'll use the dipstick, not the manual, when unsure about how much to put in...

he? i figured it was a she from the post... :flipoff2:

but he/she does have a dynarape prorock 44, so he/she/it must be cool

Heeey now! Be nice to the ladies! I know that kind of change isn't a dry fill. :flipoff2:

(I'm also the one known on the car boards for being the only female who "actually monitors guages") :smokin:

Back