Here we go again, gas prices

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
Iran just stopped shipment of oil to Britain and France. Crude up 2%. I've been hearing for a while now that we will likely see $4.50/gal gas this summer. The clown who owns the station down the street from my house is already asking $4.24/gal for diesel.

I filled up my main & aux a couple wks ago thinking a $300 fillup will be "cheap" compared to what its going to run me this summer:shaking: I've been towing a 5x10 behind my wifes CRV alot more these days instead of using the CTD.

But I remember some fella sayin 5 dollar a gallon gas would be good for the economy, and America, then he flew off to play left handed golf, I can't remember who that was though.:confused:

If crude goes up 2% that means .07 cents a gallon at $3.50 a gallon, so really shouldn't make a big difference except the oil investors. If we could make that illegal many problems would be solved.

breakdown

Attachments

• dieselpump.gif
    dieselpump.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 349
I filled up my Cummins Dodge this morning for $3.89/gallon this morning after dropping my wife off for physical therepy. It was at a Shell gas station in Mebane off exit 154 in Mebane. The only other station in the area in the $3 range was the Hess across the street at $3.99. Everybody else was over $4/gallon in the $4.09 to $4.19 range.

I filled up my Cummins Dodge this morning for $3.89/gallon this morning after dropping my wife off for physical therepy. It was at a Shell gas station in Mebane off exit 154 in Mebane. The only other station in the area in the $3 range was the Hess across the street at $3.99. Everybody else was over $4/gallon in the $4.09 to $4.19 range.
I miss filling up in Mebane...Cheapest fuel on I40 between Statesville and Raleigh.:flipoff2:

Since there's little I can do about this & I drive 30 miles one way to work, I bought a 86 VW Golf diesel 53MPG. it's no race car, but once it's moving it's fine. I had to put a head gasket on it along with some other maintenance items, but it sure is nice to fill up once a month. I also take turns commuting to work.

Since there's little I can do about this & I drive 30 miles one way to work, I bought a 86 VW Golf diesel 53MPG. it's no race car, but once it's moving it's fine. I had to put a head gasket on it along with some other maintenance items, but it sure is nice to fill up once a month. I also take turns commuting to work.

^
The only real solution!

Where's the protesters?

Tax & Freedom Protesters, but not on Fuel. The shityist deal of all, is a while back, ABC News reported, that Our Oil Refineries, are shipping & selling their EXCESS fuel, overseas. Americans, now consume less than we are refining! SO, in stead of lowering the price for us, They get to sell it to other markets, at a better Profit. That's how much those BILLION $ Profit Companies, cares about America! Of course, I believe British Petroleum, is the wealthy- ist! :poop:

I have so many cuss words to say...this should go to the garage.

Look at guys like myself...self employed, work van, driving to bid jobs that I may not get, driving to jobs I do get, all the while trying to be competitive with my pricing AND having to drive farther out of my comfort zone or district to find more work.

I dont know about everyone else, but to me, this high dollar gas shit is the cause of the ressesion.

It just sucks..seems like its all design to squeeze the little man( pun if you want) out of business.

I remember being promised a change. I guess it will be the next 4 years. So far I have had all the change I can take.

it also really throws a wrench into my end of the auto industry.
when fuel prices go up, people put off repairing their older cars.
i see a lot of people saying " that's our second car" or " we don't need to fix it right now, we're going to start carpooling".

fuel prices are also dictated by the auto industry. as fuel prices rise the manufacturers are developing more hybrids and in order to sell them the fuel prices have to rise to give people the incentive to go buy them.(all part of the bailout)(look at gm's biggest profits in 20 years)

it's all a scam and the government is behind it all.

I remember being promised a change. I guess it will be the next 4 years. So far I have had all the change I can take.

I wish I could find it, but recently there was an article that said there are now more people receiving government assistance than there are tax payers, so I'm fairly certain the entitlement gravy train will keep on a rollin', aka stay lubed up fellas, or go crazy and get full disability...that's the new hotness.

The oil company's can, and will charge what they want. Just to back that up, even when it got high around here because of Katrina, there were no fewer cars on interstate, or around town. They know we will pay it, so they keep the price up. I also read about the oil company's record breaking profits for the last several years. So, to be honest, we are all screwed!

we can bitch about the oil company's all we want but according to that breakdown in 2006 20% are in taxes. That's the good people we elect into office in NC. Our gas prices have gone up (just from what I remember) the last 2 years because of new taxes. I can only imagine what that break down is now. NC govt can't manage money plain and simple.

Oh noes we ran out of money again, what should we do?? :shaking:

we can bitch about the oil company's all we want but according to that breakdown in 2006 20% are in taxes. That's the good people we elect into office in NC. Our gas prices have gone up (just from what I remember) the last 2 years because of new taxes. I can only imagine what that break down is now. NC govt can't manage money plain and simple.
Oh noes we ran out of money again, what should we do?? :shaking:
Now? Our taxes account for more like 16% if you assume $3.60 regular gas and include the federal gas tax. State would account for 11% and Federal 5%. Still, we are more than double the state tax rate compared to SC.

While the tax has gone up the last few years, the price of fuel has gone up more, making it a smaller percentage of the cost. Although the NC gas tax is made up of a 17.5 cent base tax and 7% of the average price of gas over the last 6 months. SO as the price of gas itself goes up, so do our taxes.

The clown down the street from my house is at the following:

$3.80/gal for gas

$4.34/gal for diesel

I never buy fuel there.

The oil company's can, and will charge what they want.

No, they can't. That's not how futures markets in commodities work. They charge what it's worth. Period, end of story. If you don't like how much money they're making, GO BUY THEIR STOCK.

Gas prices are high now because the dollar is weak. There are other issues at work, the current administration's stance on drilling, pipelines, expanding production, etc certainly factor in.

If you calculate the value of a barrel of oil in ounces of gold, the current price is around 0.0602 ounces of gold per barrel of oil. That price is lower than the average:

During the 493 months since January 1, 1971, the price of WTI has averaged Au0.0732/bbl. It has been higher than that during 225 of those months and lower than that during 268 of those months. [meaning it is both the average, and close to the mean -Shawn] Plotted as a graph, the line representing the price of a barrel of oil in terms of gold has crossed the horizontal line representing the long-term average price (Au0.0732/bbl) 29 times.

At Au0.0602/bbl, today’s WTI price is only 82% of its average over the past 41+ years. Assuming that gold prices remained at today’s $1,759.30/oz, WTI prices would have to rise by about 22%, to $128.86/bbl, in order to reach their long-term average in terms of gold. As mentioned earlier, such an increase would drive up retail gasoline prices by somewhere between $0.65 and $0.75 per gallon.

Link

Gas prices are high because Treasury is printing money. Worse, they could be much higher than they currently are based on historical data.

Back