HF 3N1 brake/shear

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Just how bad is the Harbor Freight #5907 3N1 30" brake/shear?? Anybody got one and can give an opinion on it?

Need to do up some aluminum. 18ga, or 20 if I have to, longest shear or bend about 24". Think this one will do it??

Really don't have the space for something better/bigger...until the new shop is built.

How many times or how often do you need this done?
If only a little now and unknown later, the $$ might be better spent making a donation to a local community college metal shop...
Or spend the $$ on a con-ed shop class and do it in class ;-)

This is hopefully going to be a repeating project. My neighbor has a shear and pan/box brake, but need something I can access on my own schedule.

Check to see if the very sharp bend radius is going to work with the type of aluminum you're going to be using. You might be better served by getting a more adjustable brake...

I've known several folks to use one. Nobody spoke ill of theirs. Seems like it's actually a decent product, and probably about perfect for what you want to do. You may be able to modify the die to treat the aluminum a little better if you have to.

Back