Hickory off road shop Extreme Machines

I tried to buy something from them once, and they literally wanted 3 times what Tarheel 4wd wanted. I believe it was a set of BDS springs.

drive past there quite alot. They generally have some really goofy stuff out there!

Saw a lifted Bronco II the other day. Had to be a 6inch plus lift, with the STOCK TIRES on it :gay:

Sometimes they have some cool stuff though, but generally ive heard it to be quite epensive for reletively little items

they are a bunch of hack mech. and the guy who owns it or the manager is a royal dick head or at least they were the last time i tried to deal with them. just my 2 cents

I've known the owner for years. Even before he was at Extreme Machines and at another place that sold out...

Hes always been great to deal with while I was there, course I've wheeled with him for years before, so that may have something to do with it.

Haven't ever really bought a lot from them. A few sets of tires, a locker or 2. Thats about it. Always had decent prices.

Talk to them, like most shops, I'm sure they just price stuff out at retail for "window shoppers". If you talk to them I'm sure they can get you better prices.

Rob

I've talked to him about prices on somethings and even gone up there with cash in hand and he wouldnt budge. Ended up being cheaper for me to drive to charlotte and get it from CRS than it was to drive across town.

Maybe hes just not into the hardcore crowd anymore...

Maybe mostly bolt on stuff ...

?

Its all marketing. Hes in it to make $$$ and we seem not to be in his particular target market area. If he gets one or 2 of us every once in a while with a larger margin of proffit, he makes more $$$ than selling 10 of the same item for half the price.

Same thing with me. Some other 4x4 forums seem to be great markets, but once I research them they are not really in my target market area. I rarely visit those sites and rarely sell anything there and never sell for a discount. Too much work involved to get even one item sold, so why bother? I'll spend 4 times the amount of time over there to sell 1 item versus what it takes on my target market forums. Of course I get a lot of window shoppers pricing me, but thats about it. So, I can see where hes coming from in a way (as far as pricing).

I think hes more of a variety shop as well, not necessairly 4x4/off road...

Rob

The parking lot is always full of Extremely :gay: Machines.

I used to try to get prices on random things from them but they were always obscenely high so I just quit trying.

GSW said:
The parking lot is always full of Extremely :gay: Machines.
I used to try to get prices on random things from them but they were always obscenely high so I just quit trying.

X2

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y103_dontoe_popcorn.gif

Why don't you go into the garage and look at the bronco that John has completely rebuilt. It is beyond badass. And as far as that piece of shit bronco out front, John cannot help if someone brings their crap and puts a for sale sign in it. Johns major downfall is the fact that he is by no means a salesmen and doesn't claim to be. But one thing I can guarantee you is that when it comes to all around knowledge (rockcrawling, desert racing, diesel trucks, racing, etc.) he is pretty strong. When you go in to his shop don't let your feelings get hurt and when John says something smartass just come back at him with something better and I will bet that he will give you the best price around. And if you want the best treatment and price the first time then just go in there and talk with Andy because he is overly nice and will do anything to help you out and make the sale.

Little Richard said:
Why don't you go into the garage and look at the bronco that John has completely rebuilt. It is beyond badass. And as far as that piece of shit bronco out front, John cannot help if someone brings their crap and puts a for sale sign in it. Johns major downfall is the fact that he is by no means a salesmen and doesn't claim to be. But one thing I can guarantee you is that when it comes to all around knowledge (rockcrawling, desert racing, diesel trucks, racing, etc.) he is pretty strong. When you go in to his shop don't let your feelings get hurt and when John says something smartass just come back at him with something better and I will bet that he will give you the best price around. And if you want the best treatment and price the first time then just go in there and talk with Andy because he is overly nice and will do anything to help you out and make the sale.

I never said the stuff HE builds is crap. Ive seen some of it, it looks top notch. Ive seen him a few times come into where I work, seems like a nice guy...

I may have forgot to mention, that that Bronco wasnt something he built :)

John's always been great to me for pricing. I dunno....I went in the when I first got my Xterra.....when he was in Rutherford College (I believe). I was talking 99% out of my ass about what I was going to do.

But I wheeled a few times with him, and he has always been straight with me as far as pricing goes. I bought one of the limited options I had for a locker (ARB) online and his guys did a knock down fabulous job of installing it....including rebrazing the copper line into the diff that popped off when they did a bench test on the locker.....hitting the locker with the ARB recommended 90 psi. They called ARB and found out what methodology to use for that brazing and did it and I still picked the truck up at 5 o'clock. And I cannot at all complain about the price John charged. That was two years ago, and the ARB and gear setup are still working very well.

He's always been fair with me on tire pricing.

And he really has been one of the few people who have helped me build my truck with alot more info than parts. He expresses an interest in what I want to do with it.....which is a damned sight more than 4WP, Tarheel, or others did when I visited their establishments.

So....I am sorry that some have had bad experiences, but I, personally, can say nothing at all bad about the shop, John, or his staff. Andy is a great counter man and does go out of his way to answer questions or get answers to questions.

I am aware that he does sell alot of bolt on merchandise, and, Gawd forbid, car "ricer" equipment. And he does that because it sells. Money in his pocket.....I do not think that the 4x4 market would single-handedly support the shop.

But ultimately, it is a question of who you like to deal with, and how the relationship works for you. I say give John a shot, and see where you can go from there.

:beer:

So....I am sorry that some have had bad experiences, but I, personally, can say nothing at all bad about the shop, John, or his staff. Andy is a great counter man and does go out of his way to answer questions or get answers to questions.

one question........... How much of the work on the vehicles/tube bending/custom fab work does John do??? NONE!!

Now go to CRS and you get there and Andy is out in the shop under the lift installing a lift or he's setting some gears up in axle.

Im not trying to turn this into a extreme machine vs CRS shop comparison but there really is none at all...

Looking at the vehicles outside to judge a shop is akin to the book/cover analogy. Outside of our shop there is a POS 93 Lexus and a 99 Taco.
Inside is a 67 427 Vette and a 69 Charger 440.

The question I have is did someone have a bad situation there. Not I got sand in my vagina BS but where they got screwed. THAT is how you judge a shop.

I had a couple things done on my old truck back when they were at Exit 113. Back before I had any experience/tools/other options and they were fairly high on the work but I really didn't know better at the time and my options were limited. One job they did great. The other one they left a semi-important nut finger tight and I figured out what was wrong on the way home. Basically not a major deal, but I didn't go back there to have work done. But that was a while back and probably not too relevant to the business now. Since then, yes, indeed, they quoted me some high azzed prices. I strolled in right past the body kitted Maxima and the heavily stickered Civic to get some prices and they were high.

neptco19 said:
one question........... How much of the work on the vehicles/tube bending/custom fab work does John do??? NONE!!
Now go to CRS and you get there and Andy is out in the shop under the lift installing a lift or he's setting some gears up in axle.
Im not trying to turn this into a extreme machine vs CRS shop comparison but there really is none at all...
Cool your jets......I was in no way trying to create an argument. You obviously have your issues with the shop.....And I am not at all going to dsipute whatever experience you have with it. I was simply relaying my personal experience with the place.
And upon reading your response, I think you believe I was saying Andy at CRS is only a counterman. Actually I was referring to Andy....the counter guy at Extreme Machines. Two entirely different people.
;)

I have had both low and high prices quoted on parts from John. If the price is good, I buy it. No shipping costs, and he will have it the next day. I have gotten some great tire prices there as well.
Does he sell alot of ricer and pretty truck stuff? Of course.
The average wheeler will come in, talk for an hour, shoot the shit, maybe order a part or 2 and John will make a few bucks.
The average ricer, or deisel freak will walk in with a list and an open charge account. John makes an ass load of money on those.

He is a wheeler at heart, but with a sense for the business that will pay the bills in the area.
He has built some great baja trucks and is finishing one right now. That is something he can actually control, not whether or not a customer thinks his dana 35 will hold up to the 38s he wants to buy.

He will also let anyone who wants to park a vehicle for sale in his lot in one of the highest traffic areas around for free. Pretty nice guy in my opinion, but I do almost all of my own work, so I don't have him install the things I buy.

Back