high mileage NP231d

Bogleparsons

I just bought a nice 96' Ram with 275k miles, newly rebuilt trans and a great running 318.

Previous owner is a friend of mine and took great care of this truck.

Should I be planning a transfer case rebuild even though the current one appears to work fine?

I wouldn’t bother unless it showed signs of needing it. That’s what I run in my YJ and it’s heavily, and I mean heavily abused. Only issue is when it cracked cause my rear axle got pushed back.
They have a wider chain in them and slightly better planetary gears. Usually the only issues are stretched chains due to lack of fluid, and the shift fork pads wear and or fall off preventing it from staying in 4wd. If the truck has been on the road most of its life and the fluids kept inside it should be an issue.

What Phillip said is accurate. You can check the chain stretch without removing anything. Leave trans in park (or gear if manual), lift a front tire so the drive shaft will turn, and see how much you can rotate the driveshaft. Should not be much. I've seen stretched chains wear clean through the case. Hope to help.

Back