Home Cams and Security

R Q

I replied to the Ring doorbell thread but am also looking at property camera systems too. My wifi doesn't reach all areas that I want to monitor, and when I say monitor, I mean an in house system not requiring contracts to an alarm company. I am not hooking anything up to an Alexa type device.
The Ring doorbells would be a good start and I know they would be connected to a cloud for memory but I can probably accept that.
Wireless is the key for the home but my shop can easily be wired for cameras since there's no wifi there, yet. So possibly a different system for the shop that is a self contained separate unit from the home system.

We have simpli safe. They also have a doorbell similar to the ring, not sure about wired cameras, unless you maybe get a network extender for the shop.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have wired wisenet at my home and business and love them. I can pull them up on my phone and see whats going on when i need to. It also has a camera alert to my phone i can turn on when i want to and i don't have to pay monthly fees. I bought 10 camera package for $500.00 on amazon and i can add more cameras to each system. Wasn't to bad to put up at both places about a day each to install.

if your wifi doesn't reach some areas i'd recommend a hard wired Hikvision camera - can be a bit more pricey, but if it's going outdoors and you want great img & build quality that's all i can recommend. Indoors you can get away with many of the wifi cameras on offer on somewhere like Amazon.

I just ordered an hd system with 4 cameras 500gb hard drive.

it was pricey but it’s a commercial style dvr. Hope it shows up soon

I just ordered an hd system with 4 cameras 500gb hard drive.

it was pricey but it’s a commercial style dvr. Hope it shows up soon
What system did you go with? I've been looking at a 4 camera, 8 channel 1TB system from Reolink.

What system did you go with? I've been looking at a 4 camera, 8 channel 1TB system from Reolink.

The more channels need a bigger HD

4 channels, with 1TB gets 5.5 days of continual storage before overwrite.

Ideally I would want at least 4 TB for 8 channels. Just so I know I had 10 days worth of continuous footage before overwriting.

The more channels need a bigger HD

4 channels, with 1TB gets 5.5 days of continual storage before overwrite.

Ideally I would want at least 4 TB for 8 channels. Just so I know I had 10 days worth of continuous footage before overwriting.

Ah that's all good to know. I only have 4 wires run for cameras so I would only be utilizing 4 channels, so 1TB should be plenty of storage?

Ah that's all good to know. I only have 4 wires run for cameras so I would only be utilizing 4 channels, so 1TB should be plenty of storage?

IIRC that should get you 5.5 days ish of continuous 24hr recording before it starts overwriting. A lot of factors go into it, but probably yes.

I’m comfortable with that amount even for extended vacations paired with my wifi cams and alarm system. Meaning, if something were to happen, I get plenty of notifications to get the data within that 5.5 day window to store/copy the data before I lose it.

IIRC that should get you 5.5 days ish of continuous 24hr recording before it starts overwriting. A lot of factors go into it, but probably yes.

I’m comfortable with that amount even for extended vacations paired with my wifi cams and alarm system. Meaning, if something were to happen, I get plenty of notifications to get the data within that 5.5 day window to store/copy the data before I lose it.
5 days would be plenty for me. The way my house is situated on the property, I would probably only have one, maybe 2 cameras set up for continuous recording and the others on motion detect. The "main" camera with the widest and longest field of view would look down my driveway (200yds) and see all of my road frontage. The others would be focused much closer to the house and would be looking at nothing unless something happened to come into their field of view. I located them so I could theoretically have a good look at faces and vehicles near the house.

Depends on resolution/compression scheme/frame rate. If the cameras do motion sensing, best to set up triggers with pre/post recording windows. That way it only saves what you might need. It'll record a lot of moths on summer nights, but better than the alternative.

What would be required to have a camera keep a record of say 3wks?

I’ll look up my settings and all tonight when I get home. Just for context. That calculator should work well.

When looking through footage for an event, I grab the date and time stamp off my trail cam, and that gets event time/date, that is easier to get vs the cameras. Then I go to that date/time on camera feed, and look for the IR illuminate flash to go from 32x/16x speed to normal speed.

Then make a clip of event, and save it to flash drive.

I’ll look up my settings and all tonight when I get home. Just for context. That calculator should work well.

When looking through footage for an event, I grab the date and time stamp off my trail cam, and that gets event time/date, that is easier to get vs the cameras. Then I go to that date/time on camera feed, and look for the IR illuminate flash to go from 32x/16x speed to normal speed.

Then make a clip of event, and save it to flash drive.
Thanks, I’m not educated on security/video cameras at all. I’ve set up game cameras when gone for long periods of time and was really surprised/mad at what I saw. I’d like to get some video cameras if I can ever take time to do it.

So bringing this back up. My son found parts cars rummaged through a couple weeks ago. Today I found the same. Here is my problem. I need to put a camera on my storage trailer that sits between my parts jeeps and my office/shop. Shop is also concrete block. In my experience concrete block interferes with WiFi. I’d also like to start with two cameras and maybe add two more. Any suggestions? I’m thinking about the Arlo system.

Ive been very happy with my set up. App works well and it is all stores on a hard drive at home. I’ve got 5 cameras. Adding three more soon.

Ive been very happy with my set up. App works well and it is all stores on a hard drive at home. I’ve got 5 cameras. Adding three more soon.
Is it wired or wireless? Which system is it?

Back