Hot Rod Power Tour 2018

Tim C

Wizard
My Dad and I took our 67's on the last three legs of the power tour this year. He has a 67 C10 and I have a 67 Fairlane GT. He took most of the pics and I have around 5 hours of dash cam video total. I sorted through his pics from facebook and will post up the best of them. I will eventually get around to editing the dash cam video but for now I have two edited down. I'll probably add to this post in the coming months as I get time to edit the video.

Wednesday, June 13, we drove down to Darlington Speedway from Fayetteville for the first day and had a great parking spot. We parked right where everyone had to pass by to enter the infield. We got to basically sit in one spot and see a rolling car show! That night we drove to Florence, SC and stayed in one of 7 hotels that were side by side. The hotels were packed with all the other long haulers, so it was like a continuation of the show that night. Everyone was out walking around and talking about their cars and trucks. We actually had the most fun that night since no one was in a rush to get to the next venue and punch out their pass.

Thursday the 14th we got up and drove up us 1 to Sanford then took 421 to Lillington and then 401 to 55 through Apex to the PNC arena in Raleigh. This day was rough on both of us because it was so hot and both vehicles have no A/C. We drove for around 5 hours total with traffic. My brother met us at the PNC arena from Greenville and followed us back to the hotel after the show. The white newer Camaro parked by us is his. That night our hotel wasnt near any others so the nighttime car show was much smaller but we still had a good time.

Friday the 15th, my cousin who lives in Raleigh met us with his Cobra replica at the hotel at 8AM and drove with us through Pittsboro. We continued on with a stop at Richard Petty's Garage for lunch and a cool off break, then finally made it to Charlotte around 4! Aperently NC decided to do road work on every road between Pettys Garage and Zmax dragstrip. We stayed at ZMax for just about 2 hours and then began our three hour trip back to Fayetteville. The grand total for my Fairlane was 629 miles round trip, 63 gallons of Premium (thats right at 10 MPG for those keeping score at home!) and a quart and a half of 20W50. I wound up with a with a wicked sun/windburn on my left arm too!

Heres a video of us going through Cheraw SC on our way to Raleigh. The Cheraw PD had most of the roads closed and were directing us through town and there was a huge crowd gathered down town to watch us pass by. The exhaust on my Fairlane overpowered the mic on my dash cam so you may want to mute or turn down your volume. You've been warned.

And here is a video of us leaving Raleigh with my cousins Cobra running with us.

Heres a video a friend's wife took of us as we made the turn off 421 onto 401 in Lillington. This was only about 10 minutes from my house. You can turn the volume back on for this one. The guy in the yellow shirt running on the sidewalk across the street is my Uncle Nick. His son has the Cobra that rode with us the following day.

Last edited:
Heres a video a friend's wife took of us as we made the turn off 421 onto 401 in Lillington. This was only about 10 minutes from my house. You can turn the volume back on for this one. The guy in the yellow shirt running on the sidewalk across the street is my Uncle Nick. His son has the Cobra that rode with us the following day.
Very Nice! Does your have the 390, 4 sp? I'm not up on 67 s, but grew up next door to an older neighbor, that bought 1 brand new! I "thought" it had more side trim, but maybe not. My older brother was his age & had rode with him. I remember him saying the 67 could go from 3rd to 4th, at 90 mph, & squawk the rears tires!

Very Nice! Does your have the 390, 4 sp? I'm not up on 67 s, but grew up next door to an older neighbor, that bought 1 brand new! I "thought" it had more side trim, but maybe not. My older brother was his age & had rode with him. I remember him saying the 67 could go from 3rd to 4th, at 90 mph, & squawk the rears tires!
Yea mines a factory 390 S code 4 speed car. The GTs didn't have any extra trim in 67. There's supposed to be a 3" tall gt stripe that runs from wheel well openings just above the bottom of the door but mines on at least it's 3rd paint job as best I can tell, headed to its 4th. The non GTs especially the fairlane 500xl's with the high option trim did have brightwork that ran along the sides higher up near the upper body line. You see that more on the 2 and 4 door post cars not the hardtop or fastback like the GTs.

Before I replaced the 14" skinnies with 28x10.5-15s this thing would boil the tires off in 3rd gear. Now it just goes, but the 445 stroker I'm building may put it back in the tire roasting business [emoji23]

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

That is cool. I saw quite a few of the cars around the day they were in Darlington.

I sat over in Cary with my G8 at a gas station for an hour or so watching the cars go by. I think I remember seeing you guys. I had a few friends who either long hauled or did most of the final legs. They went together in an 89 Firebird Formula, C6 Z06, C4 Vette, and Pinto wagon.

Just looked at my pics, found ya.

Attachments

• 2018-06-14 11.57.39.jpg
    2018-06-14 11.57.39.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 2018-06-14 11.57.37.jpg
    2018-06-14 11.57.37.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 2018-06-14 11.56.58.jpg
    2018-06-14 11.56.58.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 249
Just looked at my pics, found ya.
That's awesome! When we were going through Pittsboro there were two older black guys standing by the street in front of a dollar general. I waved at them an one hollered "we saw y'all in Sanford yesterday too". It was cool seeing how many people were just enjoying a rolling car show.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I'm still pissed that I didn't find out about this until about 9pm on the night they rolled through Raleigh.

Back