How I get rid of yellow jackets.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.

BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE INC.
We have a lot of railroad ties around our property and with that we get a lot of bee's so I thought I'd share my way of revenge. I place an old metal blade fan in front of a known entrance and then I sit on the porch swing with beverage in hand.
The sound of them hitting the blade is like raindrops on a tin roof!
uploadfromtaptalk1436979811929.jpg

Video or it didn't happen!

I usually leave it running for 2 day's. Most die within the first hour but I like to play it safe.
Sunday my wife was hit 5 times while trimming a fence line behind the shop so that hole is next. Oh and 1 got her on the end of the nose so she was a happy camper.

I hate those darn things. Will have to remember this trick!

2 weeks ago I found a hornet nest big as a basketball under the eave. I waited till after 10 pm ( they were still flying, crawlin around on the nest before 10) and suited up w winter clothes/hoodie/gloves, and shot it w Black Flag(edit) wasp and hornet spray by the flashlight. This shit is good, the can emptied itself in about 6-8 secs. and soaked the whole nest. 4 or 6 days later after work I climbed a 10' stepladder to cut the hive off the house w a 10" fillet knife trying to keep it in one piece to mount it like a trophy on the deck. I had seen no more hornets at all around/on the nest in the days after. I was about done cutting it loose when I heard a loud BZZZZZZ from inside. I ran/jumped backards off the ladder dropping the bucket I was gonna catch the nest with and ran into the house. After a while I emptied another can of Hot shot on it and soaked again it fell off the house 20 mins. later and broke apart. There were about 2 dozen dead hornets in the nest and about 60 dead on the ground from the first shot. I hate to think what they'd have done to me if I had pissed them off .

Last edited:
2 weeks ago I found a hornet nest big as a basketball under the eave. I waited till after 10 pm ( they were still flying, crawlin around on the nest before 10) and suited up w winter clothes/hoodie/gloves, and shot it w Hot Shot wasp and hornet spray by the flashlight. This shit is good, the can emptied itself in about 6-8 secs. and soaked the whole nest. 4 or 6 days later after work I climbed a 10' stepladder to cut the hive off the house w a 10" fillet knife trying to keep it in one piece to mount it like a trophy on the deck. I had seen no more hornets at all around/on the nest in the days after. I was about done cutting it loose when I heard a loud BZZZZZZ from inside. I ran/jumped backards off the ladder dropping the bucket I was gonna catch the nest with and ran into the house. After a while I emptied another can of Hot shot on it and soaked again it fell off the house 20 mins. later and broke apart. There were about 2 dozen dead hornets in the nest and about 60 dead on the ground from the first shot. I hate to think what they'd have done to me if I had pissed them off .

I have one of these in my eave now and have been thinking about doing the same thing. I may just wait till winter to take it down. I don't really notice them anywhere around the house.

If you have a garden, paper wasp are pretty good to have around. I've knocked off several nest that I have found around the deck or close to where we hangout around the yard, but I have a couple larger nest hanging off my garage that I just leave alone. They'll eat caterpillars and insects out of the garden and are pollinators too...

If you have a garden, paper wasp are pretty good to have around. I've knocked off several nest that I have found around the deck or close to where we hangout around the yard, but I have a couple larger nest hanging off my garage that I just leave alone. They'll eat caterpillars and insects out of the garden and are pollinators too...

Einstein wasn't a biologist, but he had the common sense to predict that the world had maybe 4-5 years left after all the bees are gone. I'm a firm believer. With the declines on the rise, I'm betting I will probably live to witness weather he was right or not. I keep all the bees I can cause I like to eat. And my garden seems to like them being around. Had another bumper crop this year.

But! yellowjackets, wasps and hornets are not pollinators.

Einstein wasn't a biologist, but he had the common sense to predict that the world had maybe 4-5 years left after all the bees are gone. I'm a firm believer. With the declines on the rise, I'm betting I will probably live to witness weather he was right or not. I keep all the bees I can cause I like to eat. And my garden seems to like them being around. Had another bumper crop this year.

But! yellowjackets, wasps and hornets are not pollinators.

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/animals/wasps.shtml

I had a big hornets nest on my shop, and thought about dealing with it, but left it alone because they never bothered me. Generally the same with wasps. I used to tolerate carpenter bees, but there are too many holes in my deck, so I went on the warpath a couple months ago. Killed 11 of them in 30 minutes just by swatting them with my hand and then stepping on them. The sprays didn't seem to affect them.

I agree with @RobMcBee that yellow jackets are the spawn of satan. I've certainly cleared the 100 yellow jacket stings number, and am probably over 150, approaching 200. Everytime I find them, I get stung at least 15 times, and I find them all too often.

I had a big hornets nest on my shop, and thought about dealing with it, but left it alone because they never bothered me. Generally the same with wasps. I used to tolerate carpenter bees, but there are too many holes in my deck, so I went on the warpath a couple months ago. Killed 11 of them in 30 minutes just by swatting them with my hand and then stepping on them. The sprays didn't seem to affect them.

I agree with @RobMcBee that yellow jackets are the spawn of satan. I've certainly cleared the 100 yellow jacket stings number, and am probably over 150, approaching 200. Everytime I find them, I get stung at least 15 times, and I find them all too often.
A tennis racket is good for carpenter bees

Lol carpenter bees are another of the great pollinators, but they need to stop drilling the holes in my deck. This year was crazy. I bought one of thos electric bug swatters and made a carpenter bee trap. I got more with the swatter than the trap and still had a crap load of holes get drilled. I found that they really don't like being squirted with wd40 while in their holes :)

Yellowjackets bite and sting at the same time. And there comes a time where they just got to go. They are deadly to some people who are allergic.

Last edited:
We had some carpenter bees around our house this past spring. What is the electric bug swatter you used and would you recommend it?

I have one of these in my eave now and have been thinking about doing the same thing. I may just wait till winter to take it down. I don't really notice them anywhere around the house.

This nest was on the corner of the house by the gate and I worried the lawnmower might piss them off when I rode by. Also a small gutter and downspout was right beside the nest and choked w leaves. I swear It was also growing larger every day before I shot it.

For wasps/hornets I use either Stingray or Wasp Freeze. It has the same stuff as Black flag but with a freezing agent like freon. It kills the wasps on the nest, they don't even have time to fly off before they are dead

Anybody ever sprayed a bug with brake parts cleaner, LOL. I get these annoying large flies that come in my garage at night and buzz around the fluorescent lights. Sometimes I will spray them with brake parts cleaner.

For wasps/hornets I use either Stingray or Wasp Freeze. It has the same stuff as Black flag but with a freezing agent like freon. It kills the wasps on the nest, they don't even have time to fly off before they are dead
Now I want to open up a can of 134a into a nest just to see what happens.

Back