how noisy should a lockright be?

shocker998md

Hey guys,
So I'm not sure exactly what's going on right now with my truck. I've got a dana 44 in a 78 f150 chassis that's regeared to 4.10 and has a lockright in it. I've also go warn hubs. When I'm in 2wd everything is a ok. With the hubs locked and in 2wd ill get a small pop every once in a while turning. Now here's where it gets really bad. In 4 hi or 4 low and the hubs locked I will get some loud and violent popping while driving straight, turning, spinning, or just normal crawling.

Last night I drive the truck into the woods to pull my ladder stands out and now I've got some new noises that I'm thinking are in the hubs. along with the pop and banging I got some kind of weird chatter while my wheels were spinning.

So I'm going to be pulling the hubs to check them out, I'm due for a gear oil change since the rear gear was done so I can poke around in there. But on average how loud should a front lockright be in wet mud or dirt? I've never had a front locker so I'm kind of lost on the noise.

When I used to run lockrights on the stock axles on my truck they used to make some terrible loud popping sounds but usually it was only when turning sharp or in a bind in 4wd. If its making noises going straight I'd say you have something wrong for sure.

With the exception of the going straight part, this all sounds pretty normal for a lock right. The one I had in my Dana 30 used to worry the crap outta me.

Depending on your axles, they will pop some going straight if your front to back ratios are out a tad like stock Ford usually is. 3.50 vs 3.54.

My rear Detroit, in the rear, sometimes "unloads" [BANG] or ratchets, just as others I've had. I did have a Lock Right, in my front 44, for a while. It Never made any noise.

Voting for different tire pressures causing different rolling radius from side to side, causing the locker to try to differentiate while going straight down the road. Or a badly worn tire on one side, or a different size, etc. If it is banging enough and shocking the shafts then it may nuke a locking hub. The other explanation I like above is mis-matched gear sets. Are you sure both axles are the same?

If I had to guess it's all normal. After a few yrs it will calm down a little. The one I had in the rear of my 89 yota would pop and shake the rear of the truck while going stright. It was loud as hell thought every other time something just broke. But just wait till you change your oil and inspect it but if I had to guess it's just fine.

Gears are matched, 410 up front and out back. Brand new 315/75/16 tires, I'll check pressure but I figured sloppy wet ground, going straight it shouldn't pop. Only when turning or letting on and off the gas.

What really concerns me is that when I had to keep the wheel spred up to keep my tires cleaned out it made a chatter like something wasn't engaged and teeth were skipping. Not a pop but a very fast click click click.

Once the weather breaks I'll pop the cover and see if I see anything and replace the oil with some thick heavy stuff, I've heard that held calm down the popping.

I'm assuming that's something you would notice when I open it up pretty easly?

Sucks because this sucker has just been used as a hunting truck and has been in 4wd maybe 10 times since the rebuild. Hasn't seen anything crazy at all.

I had one in my jeep that did all those things you described. First in the rear axle, took it apart and measured shims and double checked several times, no change. Put it in my front axle, did the same. Finally took it out and threw it away. Was the best day ever.

With my experience I 4wd vehicles none with a locker up front mind you the click click clicking up front sounds like a bad hub to me but just my .02

I'm working on a video now. With hubs locked and I spin the drivers tire the locker only engages on the one side. Not sure I'd I need to turn both as if it was on the ground. I'll have to wait on a helper.

I'm thinking the pop is something to do with the main cross pin. As I turn the tire the pin will get to a spot and jump a little. I'm guessing with weight and power it's louder. But going back to my symptoms it would pop and bang going strait and latimer it seemed as if the lockers teeth weren't meshing and making a freewheeling wiz sound.

I'm really thinking of pulling the axle and carting it up to east coast gear supply. I'm hoping get away with just a tear down, inspect, re assemble with a new carrier. Since I don't have the measuring tools or experience to try and troubleshoot what went wrong. Unless someone knows of somewhere they trust closer to New Bern.

Kinda looks like the wrong carrier or locker for that carrier. Something doesn't look like it's jiving with that cross pin in the carrier. It should be a slip fit with no slack to speak of. That carrier looks worn out or like a set of spiders has exploded inside of it at some point or another.

Unless that chamfer in the cross pin hole is playing that much of a trick on my eyes, I'd bet it just needs a new carrier.

EDIT: Just watched the video and that thing is looser than a 2 dollar hooker. Definitely needs a new carrier.

Cross pin has to be tight. It transfers the side loads to make the locker ratchet properly. It also sets the depth of teeth engagement and pin to spring arrangement. Manuals to instal specifies installment shim thicknesses on some and those with a squared shapes cross block wear heights. It's a machine working component. Thousands make huge differences let alone visual slop.

Back