how often do you change your oil in 6.0

Bullardbs

I have a 04 f250 with the 6.0 how often do you guys change the oil and what oil do you use? This is my first diesel and its due for the oil change now per the sticker in it.

look yp blackstone labrotoies.
foir ~$20 an oil change they will sample the oil and tell you how often to change it.
Oil is Ford or Chevy.

I use Rotella T, 30W in my 6.0

I change my oil myself. i'm ashamed to say but also proud that in the 100k miles I've owned my truck (right at 200k on it now...), I've changed my oil 3 times. Truck has never needed anything other than brakes and a unit bearing.

per alldata its 5k for hard driving and 7500 for nomal driving so just wanted to see what most of you ran I drive mostly highway and dont tow much if anything

i have 15k on the oil in my cummins, but just bought the oil to change it. Rob makes me feel pretty good about myself :lol:

Speaking as a former Ford Technician, I always recommended that the oil be changed every 5000-6000 miles regardless of light duty or heavy duty usage. We always used Rotella T 15W-40 weight for every diesel oil change we performed. Its what I had my brother run in his 06 F250 with the 6.0. I would also recommend using the factory Ford oil filters. ALL of the after market filters that I ran into were one piece deals, that were poorly constructed. The factory filter is a cap with a replaceable filter element. Somebody out there sells a "washable" filter of some sort, but I would stick with the factory filter. It was an all new engine, with an all new filter. Why not run the filter that the engine designers meant for the engine to use.

ALL of the after market filters that I ran into were one piece deals, that were poorly constructed.

This is actually a great point.
use only motorcraft filters. (Mine have never came with a new cap...but still) the 6.0 uses a nat little convenience trick where a plungr raises and all the oil drains down to the oil pan. The factory filter has a tab o kep this plunger down. MOST aftermarket filers dont push the plunger they just block the orifice. As a reult it is possible for the opening to allow all your oil to drain straight back to the pan and nothing north of the filter to get lubricated...

Change the oil ever 5k and if its a 4x4 make sure you rotate tires every oil change and rotate in a X pattern. And I would run Motorcraft oil due to i have ran into issues with many other oil airating where Motorcraft wont. Almost ever oil out there wont work in the 6.0 due to the injectors running 3k to 3500 psi of oil pressure.

At work I change them ever 3000 but they are going up to 5000. And I change the oil filter and fuel fitlers everytime. And we use the cheapest oil, fuel, and filter we can get. City got to save that tax money some how I guess. Oh and we change them at that miles if the drive brings us the truck, when we say. So most all of them are way over.

And we have more problems out of the fuel then we do anything else.

Run Rotella Synthetic. Makes a world of difference in the ones I have had. Don't let the oil go beyond 6k because it has a better chance of sticking up the injectors because they are fired off oil rather than electric current. Also use Motorcraft filters ONLY, aftermarket filters just don't have the right design.

I use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40w synthetic every 4k-5k miles. Works great for my 7.3.

Back