How to anchor posts for stick built carport?

Blaze

The Jeeper Reaper
My wife gave me the preliminary go ahead for building a carport off the back of my workshop at the house. Our camper is currently sitting in a portable garage beside my workshop and she finds it extremely unattractive, and she is kind of right, so I convinced her that I can build a carport behind the shop that goes the full length that can store the camper and one of my cars. I think I have the design figured out, but I'm wondering the best way to set the posts. Should I anchor them 2-3 in the ground and just cement them in, or should I set concrete piers and then anchor the posts to the top? The car port is going to be big, probably 15-20' wide and about 40' long.

Going to go back here.
2017-02-21 07.09.01.jpg

Assuming wood posts like a 4"x4"? I would anchor them in concrete personally. I usually over-build anything I work on just for peace of mind. I'm thinking a bag/bag and a half per post?

X2 on concrete but I'd put a few inches of clean gravel in the bottom of the hole to keep the end of the post dry

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 5 posts on the right side there. Put a 2x12 header attached to the side of the shop, five 4x4 anchored in concrete on the right side, 2x10 joists and then throw some corrugated roof on it.

Set them 2-3 ft in hole need to be below frost line. You can concrete the whole hole or 2/3 of it. Minimum 6x6 if over 6ft tall possible 8x8 if going to be really tall. Or you could use tubes and anchor plates for the posts

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

8ft between the posts. 2x12 should work fine. X2 on what @RobMcBee said about the gravel. That should be a pretty stout carport

I like the sonotube and post anchors idea even better.....
Only thing that sucks with post anchors is getting them squared up and in line with each other. In a hole you can hang all the post and double check them before Concrete is poured but the plates also eliminate wood to concrete contact

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"Carport" is just a beginners word for "future garage expansion"

Monolithic slab, stud walls, and sheathing. By the time she see's it enclosed she'll be forced to let you put siding on it, insulation, electrical, and a ptac unit for conditioning :smokin:

Assuming wood posts like a 4"x4"? I would anchor them in concrete personally. I usually over-build anything I work on just for peace of mind. I'm thinking a bag/bag and a half per post?
I like using 4x6s for things like this. They twist less.

I'll probably do five 6x6 along the right side then, it'll be about 8' tall on the end. I think going to gravel at the bottom of the hole and then concreting them in. That was my initial thought, but I've never built something other than a fence that was in ground. Well, maybe the batting cage in the background of that pic, but those are just graveled in.

And @CasterTroy if I expand the garage it is going to be in a different area, and that is already planned. I really need another 30x30 space, not an enclosed hallway on the back. :)

Back