How to obtain a title for an untitled 2012 trailer in Tennessee

dawn3333lovinglife

I purchased a trailer from my friend in Tennessee with just a bill of sale.

I live in Florida and now trying to get tags for it. He built a teardrop homemade camper on top. The Vin number is clear and has never been titled. Per Florida I need a title. How does he obtain a title if he has no receipts from purchase of trailer in 2012?

According to Florida office all I needed was a bill of sale from Tennessee seller to Florida buyer, weight slip and police inspection. I had all three. Got to tax collector office they said I need Tennessee title. 380 lbs $5000 purchased 9/23

Now what? How does he get a title with no receipts/paper trail… Again vin number shows clear, never titled before.

Does FL have the process for a home built trailer? In SC I can build a trailer get it inspected and get a title.

I bet there's a website that can help with this and they will be happy to share it with us. But lets just see what happens here.

I purchased a trailer from my friend in Tennessee with just a bill of sale.

I live in Florida and now trying to get tags for it. He built a teardrop homemade camper on top. The Vin number is clear and has never been titled. Per Florida I need a title. How does he obtain a title if he has no receipts from purchase of trailer in 2012?

According to Florida office all I needed was a bill of sale from Tennessee seller to Florida buyer, weight slip and police inspection. I had all three. Got to tax collector office they said I need Tennessee title. 380 lbs $5000 purchased 9/23

Now what? How does he get a title with no receipts/paper trail… Again vin number shows clear, never titled before.
I assume since it has never been titled the original owner just got a MSO (manufacture's statement of origin) with it?? They tell me the only way to get a title is for the original purchaser to take the MSO to the tag office,pay the sales tax on it or have proof they were paid at purchase.Then the original purchaser will get a title and can sign it over to you.TN does not require a tag on trailers if it is pulled by a vehicle w valid plates so you find alot of trailers around here w no titles.They arent gonna pay the taxes to get a title (and tag) for a trailer if they dont have to.I have two trailers right now that I cant get titles for because of this.I have the MSO on one of em where the original owner bought it new but never titled it but hes been dead for years so there's no chance of getting any help from him.Also TN will not give you a title w/o you buying a tag,regardless of whether it runs/drives or not.I keep a tag laying around to transfer to whatever vehicle Im wanting a title for.Its been swapped to 3-4 trucks this year and never left my desk.

Back