How to purchase a vehicle from Virginia and get plates in NC

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by benmack1, Apr 6, 2013.

1. benmack1

benmack1 Well-Known Member

Thinking of buying a truck that's currently registered in VA. Does anyone have experience on what hoops I need to jump through in NC to get it titled and a plate?

The inspection requirement has me confused. How do I drive it home for inspection before I can get a plate without a plate??? Seems like a catch-22 to me.

I saw an FAQ from the DMV that says the following but this would suggest I am the actual owner from out of state which I am of course not.

17. I’m moving to North Carolina from another state. Will my vehicle need to be
    inspected before I obtain my North Carolina license plate?
    You will be allowed to register the vehicle without an inspection. When your next annual
    registration renewal is due, you must have the vehicle inspected to renew your
    registration.

There was also an FAQ about getting a 10 day permit to drive it home, but I asked about this a few years ago and the state people had no clue WTF I was talking about. I am a bit worried that hasn't improved.

Does anyone have actual first hand experience doing this?

2. OH9JK

OH9JK I Should Be Working

Don't know about VA but bought a truck from FL and all I needed was notarized title, a bill of sale and proof of insurance.

3. highcj5

highcj5 Well-Known Member

when the vehicle is coming from va to nc. you will need to have the title notarized. I just bought a truck from nc and all I needed here in va was a bill of sale to take to dmv. va doesn't require the title to be notarized. :beer:

4. hurt4x4

hurt4x4 Well-Known Member

VA titles do not need to be notarized, even if coming to NC.

5. highcj5

highcj5 Well-Known Member

sorry. I was under the impression that they had to be notarized if titled in nc? :beer:

6. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

I had to have the title notarized. I put it on my insurance and drove it home on his license plate with a bill of sale. Mailed his plate back to him. It had to be inspected within 30 days of the title transfer and new tags, but that was before they changed everything.

7. benmack1

Yeah, my worry is it's all changed in the last 3-4 years. The darn inspection needs to happen before they'll issue a plate I think. Fawking NC!!! The morons at the DMV don't seem to think about these things - or rather I guess they don't care. I am thinking maybe I'll have to have the seller deliver it to me and then once I have it home I can manage to drive a couple miles to the inspection station and just hope I don't get stopped or wreck. I'd love to hear how anyone has done this in the last year or two. Just to be clear, this is from VA to NC. Not the other way around as a couple have mentioned.

8. UncleWillie

UncleWillie Lost and confused.

I have always got a bill of sale and signed title put it on my insurance and drove them home. IF I was stopped I just showed them that I had just bought it. Never had a problem.

9. missingyj

missingyj New Member

I just went to VA and got my xj. Here is what you do. You buy it get a bill of sale and title. Title doesn't have to be notarized. If you purchase a vehicle out of state it doesn't have to be inspected to get a tag! ONLY IF YOU BUY THE VEHICLE OUT OF STATE!! Then you take the title down to the wonderful people at the tag office and you pay for your title tag and taxes. Then you drive off. When you tag runs out then you get it inspected!!

10. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

I think that if the vehicle is more than 10 years old, the title doesn't *have* to be notarized. Also, if it's less than 10 years old, the seller will have to sign an odometer disclosure form.

According to the DMV website, the title and the title application both need to be notarized.

http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/vehicle/title/transfer/

11. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo professionally useless Moderator

the bigger concern is that the vehicle is insured, bill of sale and notarized title will support that it has just been purchased, you may still get a ticket for no tag/registration, which would (should) be nullified once you got inspected and tagged and went to court ( yeah, it's the long way around, but it's thier game )

12. benmack1

Thanks, great advice/points. Much appreciated.

13. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

The basic thing I've been told, as for getting an out of state, or "un-inspected" vehicle, you may drive it, with title, to an Inspection Station. Pass inspection, the apply for tag, & new registration.
    That's what my friend was told & did, upon purchase of a SC truck.

14. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

This is correct. I've done it twice in the past year with SC and FL vehicles.