I didn't Know!

rodney eppes

Got this 2012 trailer, 2"A frame coupler. Flip down/up latch. For the last year I've been tapping on the latch to get to open, once I've pulled it. Sprayed Plenty of Lube on it. Last week, I bent the lever trying to beat it open! So today, I got under it with a LED flashlight to investigate. I was looking for the adjustment nut. Doesn't have one, Nor does it have the safety catch on the lever, as All the Goggle pics show. It's really Simple. Simple enough to make me feel Stupid. The safety Catch, is built into the lift arm. To open the latch, er pull the Lever up, you First slide the lever Forward, 1/16" to clear the catch, & Then lift up. I'll be damned! There is no adjustment, it uses a solid wedge & the lever lifts & lowers it. Plus it & the catch are spring loaded. Of course it has the Lock hole that you put a pin or lock through. I did do a little grinding & filing just to Ease the operation, & then Packed it all with grease. Now that I Know How to operate the Latch, I Doubt I'll have any more problems. I didn't take a picture, but did find a repair kit on-line, once I figured out the Brand. Atwood. I've operated Many couplers over the years, but This one Got me! :(
[note the notch in the connector rod]

Repair Kit for Atwood 2" Top Mount Coupler with Flip Latch

Atwood_left.gif

(9 reviews)

Code: AT88051

Price: $20.49

• Accessories and Parts
  • A-Frame Trailer Coupler
  • Straight Tongue Trailer Coupler
  • Coupler Repair Kit
  • Latch Repair Kit
  • Atwood