Idea/Improvement Suggestion

Ron

Dum Spiro Spero
on some other forums when I get email notification of a PM it includes the text of the PM in the email notification can this be implemented here?

And JIC anyone wonders why in the hell does he want that...often I get an email at work or whatever on the phone about a PM....well If I log in to check and read it clears my "new post" each at the end of the day.....

I think I changed it a long time ago... because about 30% of the people that got those notifications tried to reply to them by email.

Which came to the admin email instead.

Ron, trying a little experiment as an alternative... somebody else asked a while ago about changing the read status tracking to an individual thread/database backed model rather than a session-based one. It's more server intensive, so we may not be able to do it long-term. But I figured we could give it a try -- might kill two birds.

same here...not sure I get it...

Mark all threads as read.

Then start from there.

holy crap...40 pages and 999 new threads, since my last login

Yeah I'm having teh same problem, it seems to have "forgotten" everything I've read?

It's also at the bottom of the forum list.

I like the new setup.
I have this bad problem of clicking on "new posts" right before supper is ready, and then my wife gets mad at me because i "have to read them all" or I'll lose my place, and have to remember where I was at. Now I can just not click "mark forums read".

Ron, trying a little experiment as an alternative... somebody else asked a while ago about changing the read status tracking to an individual thread/database backed model rather than a session-based one. It's more server intensive, so we may not be able to do it long-term. But I figured we could give it a try -- might kill two birds.

So I guess there is no way for each user to determine their settings on this?? I personally hate the new setup, but it seems pretty popular. I wish I could just change mine back to the way it was.

I'm not sure what the consensus is on this... but it seems fairly polarizing.

I think it's kinda nice, because if I log in and don't make it through all the new posts, they'll still be waiting for me until I check the next time or mark them all as read.

I guess the important question is: how do you normally browse the forums? Section by section? New posts? Etc... And how has the new system affected that?

I didnt like it at first because I almost always read by New Posts, and I didnt understand what was going on. Now I'm getting used to it...I think I like it better this way.

I ALWAYS read by new posts. Just have to remember to scroll all the way to the bottom and mark post read before I leave. Used to be 4 clicks but now its 5 :(

Five?

Two. Quick Links -> Mark Posts Read.

And even if you don't mark them read, when you come back later, it tells you what's new since the last time you were here.

Five?

Two. Quick Links -> Mark Posts Read.

And even if you don't mark them read, when you come back later, it tells you what's new since the last time you were here.
Yep. If you don't "mark em read", there is the little bar that says there are old posts that still haven't been read.

Going back to the original intent of this thread, is there any way to have the text of the PM in the email notifications? I hate having to click on here just to read a PM that says "Ok" or something. It's alot easier now, because I don't have to also read all of the new posts.

Yep. If you don't "mark em read", there is the little bar that says there are old posts that still haven't been read.
Going back to the original intent of this thread, is there any way to have the text of the PM in the email notifications? I hate having to click on here just to read a PM that says "Ok" or something. It's alot easier now, because I don't have to also read all of the new posts.

No, because people just reply to the email instead.

Which doesn't actually go back to you, it goes to the admins.

Is there not a way, or you just don't want to have to deal with the hundreds (maybe thousands?) of emails the admins would get every day? I'm fine with it how it is, just wondering.

Back