In Cab Winch Control

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
I searched around on here and couldn't find an alternate vendor for an in cab winch control. I am familiar with 12VoltGuy and know it is probably the best. But I like options!

I remember reading a post about a less expensive and less fancy in cab winch control. This will be wired up to a Smitty 10K winch. I know folks have wired controls up to factory switches too, but that idea is not my favorite.

Thanks for the help.

i just use a double throw single pole momentary switch (center open) and run speaker cable wire from the switch to the winch solenoids. Use one wire for power in and one wire for power out. depending on how many wire controller you have, you may need ground the negative side of the winch solenoids at the winch if the ground wire is controller switched like the 5-wire Warns. On my buggy I use a toggle with cover in the circuit before the momentary switch that kills the momentary to prevent accidental activation of the winches.

all you need is two $5 switches and a roll of wire

Last edited:
I'm going to use a 3 position switch like the previous post states. Wired direct to the box and my regular plug can also be used if needed.

i just use a double throw single pole momentary switch (center open) and run speaker cable wire from the switch to the winch solenoids. Use one wire for power in and one wire for power out. depending on how many wire controller you have, you may need ground the negative side of the winch solenoids at the winch if the ground wire is controller switched like the 5-wire Warns. On my buggy I use a toggle with cover in the circuit before the momentary switch that kills the momentary to prevent accidental activation of the winches.

all you need is two $5 switches and a roll of wire

This is exactly what I did, main 3-position momentary switch and a master "kill switch". Can just tap into the connection of the controller box so you can still use the remote controller from outside.

IMPORTANT - LABEL THE SWITCH IN/OUT AFTER IT'S DONE :D

Here is one I bought years ago and never ended up wiring it up and gave it away to someone. They were around long before 12v guy and i was pleased with the product at the time but as I said it was years ago. the backing plate was plastic though, probably wouldn't be a problem just pre-drill the holes or use and adhesive to to hold it in place.

I sourced a racing toggle from advance auto and a momentary toggle from Grainger. Dug up some unused 4 pin trailer wire. Looks like the hardest part will be finding some space on my dash that I can reach with shoulder harnesses on.

I will have $20 in the whole set-up

I run just a momentary on-off-on.
No kill switch, can still use the wired controller. I guess I should add a kill switch.

Mine is an on-off-on plus a kill switch and a jog button. Cost about $12 in switches to build this and just drilled three holes in the dash to mount it. I don't have any doubt that 12V Guys switch panel is nice, but unless you're just looking for a nice panel it's a total waste of money. If all you're looking for is a set of in cab controls without the blingy panel, just buy the switches and wire them up.

In Cab Controls.jpg

Much easier and more reliable.

looks like you got it figured out. You'll like that better

Back