insurance on a buggy

tkeaton

Master Velocipede Alchemist
ok...in the process of building a buggy, currently it is in my parents garage. how does the whole insurance thing work in this situation? mainly i am concerned with theft (highly unlikely, but hey, you never know), fire, and damage that could occur as it is being towed.

is this covered under homeowners, while it is in the garage (both theft and fire), assuming that i have full receipts and whatnot?

what about when it is on the trailer, heading down the road? say someone plows into it....how would i declare a value? aside from receipts, how is labor figured, would the ins. company want an estimate from an established 4x4 company?

it will not be titled or street legal when it is finished if that makes a difference.

any input?

If I am not mistaken, < I am not insurance person> It shold be covered under homeowners. <make sure you keep all reciepts and alot of pictures> Have your parents call thier insurance company and ask.

This is why I'm so paranoid while towing. A vehicle is NOT covered by homeowners... the only exception is if you can show that it's used for "property maintenance"...

Hard to get full coverage... maybe find one of those places that will insure anything..

Rich said:
This is why I'm so paranoid while towing. A vehicle is NOT covered by homeowners... the only exception is if you can show that it's used for "property maintenance"...

Hard to get full coverage... maybe find one of those places that will insure anything..
our vehicles are covered by homeowners

wflaw45 said:
our vehicles are covered by homeowners

am betting the house,vehicles and all are covered under an umbrella policy of some sort.

Vehilces are not covered under homeowners as Rich said.

To cover a buggy, I'd almost think you would have to have some sort of specialty vehicle insurance with certain riders attatched dis-allowing damage claims sustained while in use.

Most probably be considered a "competition" type vehicle whether it is used that way or not, which could severly limit what if any coverage you might get.

Worst they can say is NO

Kevin

your best bet would probably be to get it registered as some sort of recreational vehicle. it is possible to insure things like 4 wheelers, jet skis, etc. the problem you may hit is not having any sort of serial/vin number. maybe your chassis builder can write something "official" up for you...

Vehicles are NOT covered by home owners. Even ATVs require seperate insurance. I am sure of this. ATVs may be covered in a farming situation but only if it does not leave the property. This was Nationwide's response to me five years ago when I asked the same question.

ive always been told if it can be covered on its own, like a vehicle , it wont go under homeowners cause my boy had his motorcycle in his garage but didnt have insurance on it cause he was letting it sit for the winter and someone stole it so he tried claiming it under homeowners but they wouldnt cover it

again... check with insurance agent... I'm sure there's some wy to insure your investment ..... and yes I did stay a holiday in last night... who's wife was that anyway?

:flipoff2:

Foremost insurance is the only company that will insure a "buggy" their number is 800-237-6137. You have to promise not to ever use it on pavement.

Are you building this from ground up, or was it iriginally a titled car? I just wonder if, in the long run, it'd be cheaper/easier to just insure it as a vehicle... that means you have to pay title, taxes etc so it's doubtful but just curious what the diff in cost ends up to be.

well it could be considered property matainance as mentioned above....that is considering you could prove you have property to maintain with it, border patrols or something like that in the wilderness somewhere, too bad no one ive heard of on here has anything like that

danielsapp414 said:
well it could be considered property matainance as mentioned above....that is considering you could prove you have property to maintain with it, border patrols or something like that in the wilderness somewhere, too bad no one ive heard of on here has anything like that

Stay tooned.. I do believe Farmboy has that covered as well.. :D

I've always heard you can insure anything for the right moneys. Eric Clapton insured his fingers in his younger days I read once in Rolling Stone. But registering to drive on the road, You would definately have to take it to DMV to be inspected and assigned a VIN number. I wanted to register a home made trailer once and the case would be very similar.
But just plain insurance... It's very do-able. Just need to find the person to do it.

I do know that as far as insurance covering your rig as it is being towed depends on the policy you have on the vehicle doing the towing. The policy on my suburban covers any and everything I pull, tow, or drag behind it, up to 50,000.00

As far as someone plowing into it, it's the same as any other vehicle, they send an adjuster out to do an estimated value. Receipts and labor helps in some cases, but their still going to try to screw you out of what it's worth, because they will only pay you blue book value, which only goes back 10 to 15 years. I used to manage a body shop and trust me your just another case # to them. They are in the bussiness to make money, not to give it away. Which really sucks because if you factor in what you pay for the vehicle and what you pay for insurance you never get more than 1/4 of your money back. My wife had an accident in our mustang which is a 96 model. the only damage was done to the door. Our insurance company total it. Well we just had a brand new crate motor, clutch, and tires. The blue book was 5800.00. we had receipts for parts and labor that was performed 2 months prior that totaled 5750.00.They said that was obsolete to the value of the car to them because , they would again only pay 70% of blue book value,so they cut me a check for 2900.00 and I had to buy the car back for 1700.00.Which left me a staggering grand total of 1200.00,because the car was only in fair condition. But before the accident it did'nt have a scratch on it. So receipts for parts and labor don,t mean squat and you get what they want to give you!!!!!!!!!

commando said:
and you get what they want to give you!!!!!!!!!

Ha, not me. I'll got to my grave fighting not to be screwed, even if it is a huge headache and costs more than its worth. In the end, the'll know not to fawk with me, I hope :D

My sister got in an accident 2 months ago (other lady pulled out in front of her) and totaled her 02 ZJ. They only wanted to give her like 70% of the retail value for it. Ha, yeah right. My father ended up getting involved, and after a few phone calls and a couple of letters with some letterhead from our lawyer, well, she got what the vehicle was worth, and maybe a little more. Prob. the high retail value for it, IIRC.

I've had the same problem with my Jeep. Someone hit my parked Jeep and their insurance didn't even want to pay for it at all :rolleyes:
I had to threaten the other driver with a lawsuit to get him to get the ball rolling and still had to get more $$$ from the insurance company for the fix. I'm not trying to get rich, I just want it back like it was with original Jeep factory parts, not cheap import parts...

Oh, and BTW, find an insurance company that insures specialized vehicles, like hot rods and such and see what ya can com eup with.

Rob

Back