internal vs external beadlocks

jodyfj40

Just wondering the pros and cons of both setups. Any help would be great, I would love to just do this once.
Thanks
Jody

the DIY externals are VERY cheap and easy to do. They do add some width and weight to the wheel which can be cumbersome for some already heavy wheel/tire combos.

2 piece wheel with inserts seem to be the lightest option, one reason I'm going with H1s with Mag inserts. Plus the inserts give you a double beadlock versus the outers which only offer outer beadlocks (most of the time)

beadlocks

Rockcity,
do you know anyone local that I can get the h1 setup from that can also recenter them for me.
thanks
jody

look in the FS section. Several people are selling them local. Most anyone that can weld and has some sense to them should be able to re-center them. If you don't have anyone in Clayton, I can do them. I've done a few sets recently.

If I was running H1s which I may be very soon...Id go with PVC inserts...

Dont forget the stauns. I am running them and love them so far. You can use them on about any wheel(no need to buy new wheels if you already have them). Very light. Lock the inner and outer bead.

some of the factory land rover wheels have a internal beadlock. i had a set on my disco and you could air down a good ammount... the bitch is it took over 100PSI to seat the bead putting them on at the tire shop, i would hate to roll a tire off the rim out on the trail and have to try and seat that bead again.

some of the factory land rover wheels have a internal beadlock. i had a set on my disco and you could air down a good ammount... the bitch is it took over 100PSI to seat the bead putting them on at the tire shop, i would hate to roll a tire off the rim out on the trail and have to try and seat that bead again.

Are you talking about a safety bead?

And, pros- internal locks work much better. Cons- pita to put together and expensive.

Pros to external locks- look cooler, stronger lip.

ai320.photobucket.com_albums_nn330_sgtbriangreen_101_0019.jpg

My buddy's truck runnin stauns. I believe he has 7psi in the tires.

Staun's with a rock ring welded on seems like a hard combination to beat.

yea thats the dawgtoy with the green wheels.
the only problem i have with stauns is the valve
stem gettin broken off. and i agree a rock ring
would prevent this. i wish that i had done a rock ring
not just a rim reinforcement hoop.

nice pic brian.

Back