International Scout people - anyone on NC4x4?

Yes sir. Funny this time last year I was over my head up to my eyeballs in rewiring it. I bypassed the ammeter and put a jumper on the starter added a solenoid on the firewall. Old school stuff.
Come to find out my 71 has a swapped IH 392 in it! The line set ticket says it had a 304 and manual to begin with but somewhere between Arkansas and Georgia it got swapped to the 6.4 and 727.
I found a disc 30 geared 3.73 which matches what I got and haven’t put it in yet.
Let me find some pics
For a few years I had a 74 1 ton IH wrecker. Came with the 304 & T-19. Never checked the rear, but it was Low. Probably 4.56 or 4.88. 304 was smoking, so I went to a school bus auction & picked up a rebuilt IH bus with 345. Swapped in the 345. That Torque monster was Awesome! A Scout with a 392, needs to be at the Dragstrip!

For a few years I had a 74 1 ton IH wrecker. Came with the 304 & T-19. Never checked the rear, but it was Low. Probably 4.56 or 4.88. 304 was smoking, so I went to a school bus auction & picked up a rebuilt IH bus with 345. Swapped in the 345. That Torque monster was Awesome! A Scout with a 392, needs to be at the Dragstrip!
Don’t tempt me to drive it to the Christmas Meeting Rodney! When she’s warm she’s fast!

I’m steer you away from that. I saw one recently go for 15k redone decent but not mad money resto and just got resold for 29k.
Thats crazy. Wonder what this one would go for like it sits. It needs a tailgate pretty bad. Floor pans have been covered but not replaced. Theyre not completely shot but whoever did it, did it wrong. And it could use a windshield frame. Everything is intact and hooked up on the engine. AC works good. The cruise has a vac canister that is blown out.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Best line I ever heard that applies to legal issues and car values, a lawyer told me at work one day “it depends.”

I’d have to see it but yours anywhere from 3k to maybe 10k depending on a few things.

I haven't checked my gear ratio yet. I'm hoping for 3.73 or 4.10 but it'll prob end up being something like a 3.07. I've only had it about a week. Gotta get the fluids changed and get some fresh gas in it. It runs but the gas is old and it needs a tune up. Do you know if they switched to an electronic distributor at some point or well they all points?

They switched to a Prestolite electronic distributor in '75, But they can be difficult to find, or pricey if you want a rebuilt;

Scout II Prestolite Pointless Distributor - 4 or 8 Cylinder - International Scout Parts - Scout II Parts - Your Authorized IH Lightline Dealer

Earlier Prestolites can be upgraded with a Hall Effect Pertronix system;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-91483a/make/international/model/scout-ii/year/1974

There used to be a Crane Fireball for it too, but I don't think that's available anymore.

If you do put a Pertronix in it, an important thing to remember is not to leave the ignition on when not running, that can burn it up if left on for more than about 30 seconds, (an important lesson I learned after burning up a few of them...)

They switched to a Prestolite electronic distributor in '75, But they can be difficult to find, or pricey if you want a rebuilt;

Scout II Prestolite Pointless Distributor - 4 or 8 Cylinder - International Scout Parts - Scout II Parts - Your Authorized IH Lightline Dealer

Earlier Prestolites can be upgraded with a Hall Effect Pertronix system;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-91483a/make/international/model/scout-ii/year/1974

There used to be a Crane Fireball for it too, but I don't think that's available anymore.

If you do put a Pertronix in it, an important thing to remember is not to leave the ignition on when not running, that can burn it up if left on for more than about 30 seconds, (an important lesson I learned after burning up a few of them...)

So mine being a 1980, it should have the Prestolite? I haven't really had a chance to look this thing over good. I'm going to mess around with it a little bit this Saturday.

So mine being a 1980, it should have the Prestolite? I haven't really had a chance to look this thing over good. I'm going to mess around with it a little bit this Saturday.

Yes, a 1980 should have a Prestolite Electronic distributor if it still has the original in it... Early Scout II's still could have a Prestolite, but it would have points in it, international used some other brands too before 75.

I got some fresh gas, new fuel filter, new air filter, and changed the oil. Runs great until it gets warm. Then is acts like you're turning the key off and on. Definitely has a Prestolite distributor. Found a crack in the coil and oil leaking out of it. Replaced it. No change. I've ordered the Pertronix Ignitor kit and Flamethrower coil so hopefully that will fix it.

Make sure all of your grounds are good and on bare metal. If I was closer, I'd love to come check out the charging circuits. Especially through the bulkhead connector to the ammeter. Problematic and old cabling connections can cause stupid simple problems that seem like larger issues like vacuum or ignition related.

Make sure all of your grounds are good and on bare metal. If I was closer, I'd love to come check out the charging circuits. Especially through the bulkhead connector to the ammeter. Problematic and old cabling connections can cause stupid simple problems that seem like larger issues like vacuum or ignition related.
I'll go after that next if the module doesn't fix it. Definitely won't hurt anything to have a new coil and module.

When your tired of throwing money after grounds send me the address for picking up said "space eater"!
I don't mind throwing a couple hundred bucks into replacing a 40 year old ignition module, coil, cap, rotor, and plugs and wires, whether it needs it all right now or not.

No offense was meant to be given, I love those old machines, something about how they drive and smell, takes me back 20 years, if you need any help let me know.

None taken buddy. I appreciate it. Ignition module fixed it. Now it's time for fuel line, removal of some vac lines and some egr parts.

Curious if you still have the charcoal can up front and vapor lines with the plastic vapor "bag" in the back left panel?
I ran all new fuel lines from the tank and vapor bag to the front and hooked up a charcoal can to the carb.
You wouldn't believe it but it ran better - and no more gas smell.
I'd check out those lines. Being 40-50 years old, the gas these days aint good on them and you can get whole spools of the good fuel line from summit for good money. Its a good investment for piece of mind too.
I also added another filter inline on the frame.
Use ethanol free as much as you can.

Curious if you still have the charcoal can up front and vapor lines with the plastic vapor "bag" in the back left panel?
I ran all new fuel lines from the tank and vapor bag to the front and hooked up a charcoal can to the carb.
You wouldn't believe it but it ran better - and no more gas smell.
I'd check out those lines. Being 40-50 years old, the gas these days aint good on them and you can get whole spools of the good fuel line from summit for good money. Its a good investment for piece of mind too.
I also added another filter inline on the frame.
Use ethanol free as much as you can.
I do still have the charcoal can. Not sure about the vapor bag but I'd say it's still there. New fuel lines are next. The fuel gauge doesn't work so I'm going to drop the tank and clean it good or replace it and start with a new sending unit and work my way to the front. Luckily I have a gas station close to me that sells 93 ethanol free so everything I have with a carb is on a strict no ethanol diet.

Unscrew the back left panel in the trunk area - should be some phillips heads and you'll see the plastic vapor 'bag' hanging there. Should have maybe 3-4 maybe even 5 (doing this from memory) to go the fuel tank.
I ran fuel line to the tank from the bag and then a long run up to the charcoal can and from there to the carb.
This pic should help: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TfTJpD7GN99dDTzp9
I plugged a few of mine as either my tank or the bag doesn't match the year or maybe its a 71 special :) They call those an 810 and have some uniqueness up until 74 ish in regards to a few things I've seen diagrams for.

Not too worried about tailpipe testing anymore, I removed or plugged 99% of my "non-functional" extra parts installed from the factory, last one it passed legally had the sniffer in a LTD Ford parked next it running, then I changed the registration to a safety only county.

True but swelling gas tanks are no fun in the heat. Pressure can cause problems too.
Also be good to check those lines as you'd be surprised if they're capped or even hooked up. Can cause fuel pressure issues too when you need it most.
That vapor box isn't necessarily for emissions like a smog pump and egr are for.
I know some who have plugged it completely and don't run a charcoal can or vapor box. I think the trick is to run a vented cap in that case. Not certain.

True but swelling gas tanks are no fun in the heat. Pressure can cause problems too.
Also be good to check those lines as you'd be surprised if they're capped or even hooked up. Can cause fuel pressure issues too when you need it most.
That vapor box isn't necessarily for emissions like a smog pump and egr are for.
I know some who have plugged it completely and don't run a charcoal can or vapor box. I think the trick is to run a vented cap in that case. Not certain.
Yeah you definitely need to run a vent with a rollover valve if you disconnect the factory stuff. Im gonna take that panel off Saturday and see whats in there. Everything else has been original so far so I expect its in there.

Back