Inventory Rant

Chase very well put and thanks for the props on the welder.

As for Carolina Truggies we'll have every suspension component in stock by March (after we move to a new bigger shop for the third time) including all brackets, joints, rod ends, steering, Fox coilovers, air shock and the majority of the popular spring rates to make sure the east coast has a solid source for all these parts. Also we won't sell a part we haven't used, if we don't have first hand experience on it we'll let you know.
Also guys this all helps us shops get our jobs done for you a lot faster then having to wait on everything to get here from the west coast.
I deal with ECGS, Rides and Low Range on a regular basis, all great shops and we are somewhat competition but we all work together to keep things on the East Coast and make sure you guys can help grow the local market.

Chase as far a Ballistic goes you know how I feel about that.....:shaking:

Chase has some good points except for Ballistic IMHO. I have bought from both of you and neither of them have steered me wrong on shiping. Everything has come in a timely manner. I have ordered from Ballistic on 3 or 4 occasions and they have always shipped when they said they would and it has arrived in a timely manner. I may be a little more tollerent then you guys bc I live in an area where you cannot get anything local. I even have to order DOM when I want it.

I have never gotten an order from ballistic on less than a month. I told myself i would never order from them again, but I am replacing my links and I am stuck using their joints unless I want to redo my bracketry, so i reluctantly placed an order..... Guess what? Backordered...

I will redo my link brackets before i EVER place another order with them.

Guys trust me I feel your pain. They do the same thing to me on shipping and I have spent a lot of money with them. The parts are good and people like them but I've been cussed out a lot due to their shipping methods. Once we get our large inventory in from them, if we don't have it we wont sell it most likely.

Just to stir the pot...if they are billing your credit card without product on hand they are asking for trouble. SO laws come into play here, I'm no accountant so I can;t give you advice but this is an issue.

You guys know about Barnes4wd don't ya? He's local, keeps everything in stock and his prices are great.
I'm not pimping him just because he sponsors me. But because he runs a great business and takes care of customers.
He stocks tons of joints, tabs, brackets, covers, kits and ships quickly.
www.Barnes4wd.com

My .02

I will never order anything from Poly performance or Ballistic again. Both companies sending me the wrong parts, and having to wait

and wait

and wait for them to get here, then finding out the wrong ones were boxed pisses me off. I always call when placing a big order, even if they tell me to order off the site, i still call and make sure everything is copasetic before i shell out any money.

I think the vendors in our state are some of the best around, they try to take care of their customers, and I feel like we all should try to keep our money local whenever possible.

The problem I have had with local (statewide) vendors, and I'm not bad mouthing any one or another, is there are times when they don't call you back. There have been times in the past where i need to order a grand worth of parts today, and today only to get them in time, and i can't talk to anyone to make sure they have everything and get everything on the way. So ive waited around all day, after leaving phone messages and pms first thing in the morning, and hear no response, the next morning i call west coast companies and pay for extra shipping to get the stuff here. I hate having to do this when i know there are local vendors that have the stuff.

And yes, I do understand, they are running a business and are busy, but not a phone call, pm, or anything in return at all?

And once again, I'm not naming anyone or talking about one specific vendor. And i'm also not holding a grudge towards any vendors that are local, and that this happened with. I will continue to purchase stuff from local vendors because i understand that shit happens and people are busy.

I just hope that no local vendors grow to a point that they don't care about the little guy, and get reputations like ballistic, and shaffers etc.

<rant off>

This is the list of vendors i regularly get stuff from because of pricing, customer service, and ability to get the parts to your door on time. These aren't all local either.

ECGS
Rides
Barnes
Rough Country (Direct)
Carolina Truggies
4WheelParts - Raleigh
Ruffstuff Specialties
DIY4X
C & M Machine
Undercover Fab
Rock & Roll Offroad

A list of who i choose to stay away from No matter what:

Ballistic, Poly Performance, Shaffers, Randys, GLO.

Here is my biggest problem... I don't have time to call 50 people. I tend to gravitate towards the vendor with the best web site and best overall price and service, or a place that I can stop in person and see what I'm buying.

I NEED to see pics of the items I'm buying. 90% of the time I'm planning to modify a metal bracket or part I'm buying so the more pics or dimensions of it help me a ton. I don't want to have to call and ask 50 questions of a sales guy.

Barnes - Your prices are good and products/offerings are in line with others, BUT I really don't want a star cut into every part I'm using. Sometimes a hole or notch in a specific location means I can't use it for an intended purpose. Possibly offering a plain or unmodified bracket ?

Great Example... I'm having MUD bend me up some brackets to fit my 7/8" heims with misalignment spacers... 2" ID seems everything else is cartridge joint or nothing... From this site I knew MUD could do it... A few emails, simple sketch = great price = sale... My issue is, am I the only person wanting a bent bracket to fit a heim ?

Next up is to find a shock mounting tabs/bracket/ possibly a tower to fit my ORIs, Its a non standard width so guess what.... I'll be making phone calls or getting a bracket that I can weld in the spacers myself.. or making them all from scratch...

Anyway...

Barnes - Your prices are good and products/offerings are in line with others, BUT I really don't want a star cut into every part I'm using. Sometimes a hole or notch in a specific location means I can't use it for an intended purpose. Possibly offering a plain or unmodified bracket ?

Anyway...

I will be removing the "Star" from some parts that are commonly modified.

Do you have examples of a parts that the star is a hindrance?

Feedback is always welcome

I will be removing the "Star" from some parts that are commonly modified.
Do you have examples of a parts that the star is a hindrance?
Feedback is always welcome
Okay, I hope you mean that. Don't take this the wrong way, but since you asked...pretty much all of them. I get it; that star is kind of your trade mark, so you want to sell more stuff with the star on it. But if I'm being honest with you, I have found stuff I liked on your site, specifically I'm thinking about some link brackets and some traction bar mounts here, and then went and bought pretty much the same thing at RuffStuff becasue it didn't have that gaudy star on it. To my mind it detracts from the look of the parts and it certainly doesn't make the parts any stronger. It just strikes me as kind of gimicky, which is really not the image I like to convey with my work. Maybe a lot of folks like the star and I'm in the minority here, but I believe that you'd do better without it, or at least offer the same parts with and without.

Okay, I hope you mean that. Don't take this the wrong way, but since you asked...pretty much all of them. I get it; that star is kind of your trade mark, so you want to sell more stuff with the star on it. But if I'm being honest with you, I have found stuff I liked on your site, specifically I'm thinking about some link brackets and some traction bar mounts here, and then went and bought pretty much the same thing at RuffStuff becasue it didn't have that gaudy star on it. To my mind it detracts from the look of the parts and it certainly doesn't make the parts any stronger. It just strikes me as kind of gimicky, which is really not the image I like to convey with my work. Maybe a lot of folks like the star and I'm in the minority here, but I believe that you'd do better without it, or at least offer the same parts with and without.

Not to pile on, and this isn't about a Barnes product, but I have passed on more than one major purchase because I don't want to be a running billboard for a company. I understand fitting a small logo in on some products, but I think it would actually take less time to make it without the logo, and should be offered as an option. Even if it's mentioned in the footer of a website "Call us to request products without our logo."

Barnes - I'm not recommending you to remove all of your stars from every product, but have an option to have plain brackets. I know burning the stars out doesn't take that much longer to burn, and its not that much more programming, so i would imagine removing them from the program, would not be that hard either. Thats why i wouldn't think there should be a price difference in the two options. I would like to see some more width options on some of the brackets. Theres times where I really need a 3" inside width for using poly bushings, and its more work to modify the bracket to change the width when there are other vendors that have the option for 3" inside width.

I think you guys have good products and good prices, and i agree that as a business you want people to recognize your parts on the trail, but i agree with the others, that sometimes its hard to change a bracket to use it when theres a hole or holes in it.

First one I clicked on from the site. Many others but this clearly shows the issue...

If i want to cut this bracket down, maybe use it on a axle housing for the upper link brackets. Your star is probably in the way.. If I want to offset the bracket and hang it partially offset from a surface.. Your stars are in the way. If I need a hole for a plug weld, ill drill it myself where I want it. just 1 example..

and add the hole size and dimensions of the item.. bolt spacing also...

I want to buy pieces that can have a few uses. I'm more apt to buy one to have around for fitting purposes..

Another point... Offer this same type of bracket(s) with a longer end w/ no holes.. Its easy to cut something down but not as easy to add 2" length to it..

Flat%20Bottom%20Link%20Mount%20Pair_sm.jpg

Looks like barnes should add the "burger king special" product line for everyone that wants a custom bracket made.

Looks like barnes should add the "burger king special" product line for everyone that wants a custom bracket made.

Well that was helpful to the conversation. We are trying to help Barnes through constructive criticism. He asked for our opinions so we're sharing. If I need a custom bracket then i'm make it myself. If someone has a bracket sitting on their shelf that i can use, and modify in less time than it would take to make it, I'm going to buy to save me time, and to give them business.

Well that was helpful to the conversation. We are trying to help Barnes through constructive criticism. He asked for our opinions so we're sharing. If I need a custom bracket then i'm make it myself. If someone has a bracket sitting on their shelf that i can use, and modify in less time than it would take to make it, I'm going to buy to save me time, and to give them business.

I was making a joke from the fact that there is an infinite number bracket designs & combinations that could be suggested from the consumer, which would be a daunting task for any shop/supplier to try to pick which would have a worthwhile level of demand and bring a decent return on the invest. Obviously deleting a logo from a part is not a problem, nor is something like modifying the part material thickness (assuming the tooling is already in-house) - but for the consumer to expect a shop to have 'that one special bracket' laying around and ready to ship on the cheap is, to me, very wishful thinking.

I do appreciate your feedback and do value it. It is great to hear back from the end users. I will be removing the star from a lot of the brackets so that it will be easy to modify if needed. You can not make a bracket that will fit every project and I do think that it would be better to have a “blank canvas” if you will, on some of the products. During the transition if you would like to have one of our products with out the star just let me know and I will make it happen (for no extra charge).
Thanks again for the feedback!

I do appreciate your feedback and do value it. It is great to hear back from the end users. I will be removing the star from a lot of the brackets so that it will be easy to modify if needed. You can not make a bracket that will fit every project and I do think that it would be better to have a “blank canvas” if you will, on some of the products. During the transition if you would like to have one of our products with out the star just let me know and I will make it happen (for no extra charge).
Thanks again for the feedback!

I want the stars that you cut out. Gonna start a line of Off Road themed jewelry...you want a set Brad?

bullshistic fab rant

hey guys, just saw this thread and had to spill my .02 on these poor business practices.

Last week in September I ordered well over $1000 in products from Ballistic. (please save the local business speech, because I do use many of our locals and am a local business person myself-thanks.) But, basically ordered full set of four link tabs front and rear, fully welded diff covers (14/60), and their well designed and executed 14 bolt shave kit with their yukon shaved ring gears. Ordered all this online with no mention of backorders. Let the untruths begin....

The link tabs were very prompt, although wrong width which required complete modification, less than a week. Then a month went by (after multiple phone calls and emails), finally told me "everything else is ready, just waiting for the diff covers to be welded". So, ok whatever, still much to do on my build no worries. Still another month before I received those diff covers, (thanksgiving), BUT no ring and pinion. Then another phone call, " were wating on the next batch to be shved" of which my response, "you need to remember who your telling what lie to, no mention last week of r&p not being ready, only diff covers to be welded!"

Fast forward to last week. Was watching their forum on Pirate, when a user asked for a lead time on shave kit with r&p, i couldn't help my self and posted my frustration on THEIR forum with regards to the time and R & D DrVic is spending on HIS 1000 hp dodge charger, yet not one simple ring gear been grinded and shipped! WELL, not 3 minutes later I received a PM from Allen at Ball Fab trying to smooth things over, with promises to have a soltion for me by next a.m., saying they shipped a 100 piece order on moday, which MOST LIKELY contained my unit, ALL the while they REMOVED my post from their forum, (which they have the right to do). Two days still no response, then thursday, as I was standing at RIDES telling Brandon and Scott about my rants, I recieved a phone call from some flunky at BF. "We are backordered on the yukon gear sets, Would I be satisfied with a set from Nitro?"

That was the last correspondence. Still no gear!!!

As a business person, I understand the economic struggles and cost of maintaining inventory at high costs, but holding my money for 4 months while I have no product or reasonable explanation is un acceptable.

stazworks

And as above, seems to be a recurring problem with other vendors. Also ordered my wheels last week in Sept. Placed order over phone WITH the owner. Said 2 week ship time. Week after week always an excuse, - ordered wrong center, confused with another order, out of powder for powdercoating, alotta snow, or THE OWNER is at home working on his house. I know we all have reponsibilities outside of work, but with both Stazworks and Ballistic, I always had to call them, only once per company have they called me first. This is not to say I am not happy with their products in workmanship and design, and in awe of their great ideas and improvement of the sport, BUT how bout some friggn customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say it was over 3 months before I received my wheels, after a 2 week promise.

Rant on!!:popcorn:

Back