Is it still legal

Damn to bad I just seperated

Thats a city of wilmington municipal law. It has yet to be repealed, but state and federal law overide it today. I believe it was put into effect before domestic violence laws were federalized.

On a similar note, the phrase "rule of thumb" came from the law that stated you couldnt beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

beating your wife has only recently come to be looked down on. 100 years ago it was common place in america and commonly as seen with the previously mention law, carried out in public.

On a similar note, the phrase "rule of thumb" came from the law that stated you couldnt beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

I thought i twas longer - the idea being that it technically didn't make it illegal, just impractical w/o breaking the law (and hence seriously discouraging).

Something I've always wonder. If teh above is true - then would it not still be legal to pound with a fist as long as you held a small 1/2x1/2 dowel in said fist?

the striking surface would be wider than your thumb.

Like i said, wife beating was common place and not frowned on in public, it would go against common sense to make it impractical because the mindset of the time thought beating your wife was practical in keeping a well run household. They just didnt want you to beat her to the point of not being able to cook and clean. I think the law was too keep the beating within the realm of the horsewhip and switch from the back yard tree rather than taking an axe handle to the back of the wifes head.

Wife beating was not discouraged, just controlled. Even today, beating a woman is fine as long as you are not in a romantic relationship with the woman. Me beating some chick off the street is just simple assault and not a federal crime. Slap on the wrist compared to 48 mandatory and possible several years in jail for beating a wife or girlfriend.

Even today, beating a woman is fine as long as you are not in a romantic relationship with the woman. Me beating some chick off the street is just simple assault and not a federal crime. Slap on the wrist compared to 48 mandatory and possible several years in jail for beating a wife or girlfriend.

So... I guess the key is to have a gentleman's agreement w/ a buddy that he will beat your wife for you, and vice versa...

In No way was i condoning the beating of your wife, by you or your friend!!!

I think you can still shake'em real hard!

I am just kidding about a serious topic, noone should be hurting
women.
Laws are interesting though,especially the old laws.

We have an old law in Mocksville, that says , if entering city limits in an autocar, one must stop and discharge/fire a weapon into the air 2 or three times. It lets the horse and buggy crowd know your coming through.

Try that now and the fuzz will check you out!

Isn't there still a law on the books in N.C. that says if you are passing a horse and buggy in a motor vehicle and the horse gets startled you are required to stop your vehicle until it passes. Also if the horse is still startled you are required to "dismantle your vehicle and move off the road? I could not verify it though. Maybe it was from another state. Here are some from N.C. and you can search others.
http://dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/north-carolina/?page=20

Some of these laws are on the books in name only. Name being for example § 14‑1.1:

when you open up that law, even though its still on the books, the content of that law reads Repealled by sessions acts and then gives the time. The statute name is then still on the books but no longer enforced.

Isn't there still a law on the books in N.C. that says if you are passing a horse and buggy in a motor vehicle and the horse gets startled you are required to stop your vehicle until it passes. Also if the horse is still startled you are required to "dismantle your vehicle and move off the road? I could not verify it though. Maybe it was from another state. Here are some from N.C. and you can search others.
http://dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/north-carolina/?page=20
Arizona has the dismantle your car one if you startle the horse.

fellatio is illegal in north Carolina.. as is living intemenitly(sp?) with a member of the other sex if your not married.

fellatio is illegal in north Carolina....

:eek:

Well...no wonder they had to legislate wife beating laws!

...oh...wait....did I say that out loud? Uhh...what I meant...to say, was...

:rolleyes:

Well...no wonder they had to legislate wife beating laws!

...oh...wait....did I say that out loud? Uhh...what I meant...to say, was...

I lol'd a lil. And I don't condone beating your wife............

unless it was legal and it was only with a small switch and she said the same crap I listened to the other night again. Then it would be off to the courthouse.

I lol'd a lil. And I don't condone beating your wife............unless it was legal and it was only with a small switch and she said the same crap I listened to the other night again. Then it would be off to the courthouse.

LOL!!

Funny how we can say this stuff here, cuz they aint lookin, huh!!:rolleyes:

Back