Is my drive shaft killing my tcase?

98_tj

under water
I am getting a buzzing and vibration from my t case when I am not under load when driving down the road.

I have the stock np231 in my tj, but have upgraded to 1350 yokes.
T case output is 3.4° down
Drive shaft is 19.4°
My pinion angle is 8° pointed up.

I have replaced my entire t case, new sye, so new shaft and new output bearing. The drive shaft is pretty new and undamaged.
20200813_141726.jpg

I think you’ll have to adjust your links to lower your pinion.

Yes, but that angle is getting pretty steep even at normal ride height.
Yep. A shame to have to buy a new CV with that shiny new shaft already paid for.

Yes, but that angle is getting pretty steep even at normal ride height.
Either drop the pinion, drop the tcase, or switch to CV and adjust accordingly. Probably also want to droop the axle out fully and make sure the DS can make the angle. If it can't, you'll have to change the geometry or strap the axle to prevent it from binding.

I am getting a buzzing and vibration from my t case when I am not under load when driving down the road.

I have the stock np231 in my tj, but have upgraded to 1350 yokes.
T case output is 3.4° down
Drive shaft is 19.4°
My pinion angle is 8° pointed up.

I have replaced my entire t case, new sye, so new shaft and new output bearing. The drive shaft is pretty new and undamaged. View attachment 351025
I had the same issue after having a new front shaft made for my dodge after lifting it. They took all the measurements and said it would work great:rolleyes:, even the zerk fitting installed just shot grease out the end of the shaft instead of greasing the splines. Their solution was for me to remove the shaft everytime to grease it.

Either drop the pinion, drop the tcase, or switch to CV and adjust accordingly. Probably also want to droop the axle out fully and make sure the DS can make the angle. If it can't, you'll have to change the geometry or strap the axle to prevent it from binding.
Yep. Obviously the best solution would be a CV shaft.

I'm willing to bet they "Olivers" could hack that one end off and glue gun on a CV.
Yes we can, and in my opinion would be the best option if it's street driven. Plus he's running out of available angle on that 1350 joint at the tcase fast. They're only good for about 20°

@98_tj if you want to give the shop a call we can talk about what options you have.

Back