Is there a formula?

63cj5universal

I have a gooseneck trailer that is 23 feet long. It was homemade, but verry well done. The problem I am having is that I think the axles are a little too far back to the rear. The front of the trailer has a lot of side to side roll, and when going over bumps unloaded, it hops more than I would like. I am used to hauling long goosenecks, horse trailer, cattle trailer, etc. but they are all heavier trailers and do not hop or roll. I have not measured where the axles are now, but I can. My question is since I am going to be replacing all of the flooring soon, should I move the axles, and where to? Is there a formula to find the right placement? Any help is appreciated.

I know of no formula but, I shoot for 450~550 lbs of tongue weight unladen. You can check tongue weight on a scale pretty easy, Just pull the truck on and raise the trailer off the ball, read and drop it back onto the ball.

I know some of the railed open bar type equipment trailers will twist up pretty good unladen and when loaded will settle in nice. You can combat some of that by plating the outside of the webbing between the deck and tongue bridge on the nose of the trailer. More or less stand on the deck looking foward, if you can see the tailgate, plate or X that section between you and the tailgate.

Axle placement

Where are your axles located? I have a 24 ft that is set up great. I will compare your measurements to mine and get back with you. The previous post is correct, hitch weight is the key. Also, you will get some movement you described with a gooseneck, but it should not be very much, and only over uneven terrain.

There is a formula. Go to Northern tool and pickup a trailer building book, it gives the equations there. I have one here I just cant find it at the moment.

Probably not braced properly. I have loaded it (one mildly built jeep, and one fully built-V8 40" tires etc/ another load tractor with a few implements) and not had any breakage or weight carrying issues.

I will have to measure where the axles are and will post on Mon.

Well, if its flexing due to lack of bracing its simply a matter of time before it breaks. Get someone to tow it and you follow, see where the flexing originates.

you guys make it out like the trailer is built wrong. It probably was built for a specific load and weight distrobution. NOT a vehicle with heavily spot loads in 4 small areas... As sugested, reinforce where its needed and add the front braces as sugested and reposition the axles...

As Stud Nuts suggested, find the NT trailer design guide. Know your mud vehicle weight, maximum tounge weight your truck will tolerate (5th wheel outfitters can help here) and you will likely find out that the axles may have to be moved forward and perhaps some bracing will be needed to mitigate the frame flexing. It would be interesting to know what the trailer was designed to tow before you purchased it. I suspect it was more bulk and perhaps less weight. When finally figured out, you will likely end up with the mud machine all the way forward near your truck and axles located in close proximity to the rear axle-bumper area of mud machine. All this is predicated on assuming that the trailer is not underdesigned for the mud machine.

That made me thursty..:beer: Geeze, farted again...:D

Back