Is this a scam?

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
I haven't been on any toll roads that I know of in the recent.
Screenshot_20241020-200236.png

It goes to a pretty legit looking website. Asking for a lot of basic info.

Scam. They bill by mail or you already have a quick pass account.

Glad I saw this. Asked my wife how she paid the tolls from the other day. Just had to cancel my wife’s credit card. She fell for the text. Luckily there’s no charges yet. It was only two days ago, but still. I’m beyond pissed off at the pos scammer, the wife, and the world at the moment. Hopefully I caught it soon enough. Thankfully it’s a credit card and not a debit. Now y'all will have to excuse me while I stare at my wife with disapproval the rest of the night. DAMN!!!!!

Last edited:
I've gotten a few also. Including yesterday.
Curiously, my balance is exactly the same as yours.

The NC toll service site specifically says they don't send these txts, only via mail.

Glad I saw this. Asked my wife how she paid the tolls from the other day. Just hand to cancel my wife’s credit card. She fell for the text. Luckily there’s no charges yet. It was only two days ago, but still. I’m beyond pissed off at the pos scammer, the wife, and the world at the moment. Hopefully I caught it soon enough. Thankfully it’s a credit card and not a debit. Now y'all will have to excuse me while I stare at my wife with disapproval the rest of the night. DAMN!!!!!
Glad I could help😕.

I knew this brain trust could answer it. My wife googled similar results. Y'all don't tell her I came here first. 😆😁

I got one after a trip a few months ago. They defiintely have an inside source with the toll system, it's not just a coincidence.

Glad I saw this. Asked my wife how she paid the tolls from the other day. Just hand to cancel my wife’s credit card. She fell for the text. Luckily there’s no charges yet. It was only two days ago, but still. I’m beyond pissed off at the pos scammer, the wife, and the world at the moment. Hopefully I caught it soon enough. Thankfully it’s a credit card and not a debit. Now y'all will have to excuse me while I stare at my wife with disapproval the rest of the night. DAMN!!!!!
I'll admit it almost got me too. Its very well dome.
I got one after a trip a few months ago. They defiintely have an inside source with the toll system, it's not just a coincidence.
I was wondering this too, but to my knowledge (and I could be wrong) I've never been on an NC toll road with any of our curent vehciles, and even if I'm wrong I've definitely never given them my phone number to tie to a plate.

First time I got it was not too long after we'd been in NC (same visit when I visited you) and we'd used the automated parking system at CLT. I initially thought maybe it was tied to that and the state had somehow gotten our contact info through it. But some digging showed they are seperate entities and don't share info.

My guess is its 90% psychology of coincidental info causing the illusion of correlation. Because its normal for "state run things" to be really slow in billing and recordkeeping, all it takes is somebody thinking that in the last, say, 2-3 months they may have been on any toll somewhere in the state to think its valid. While there's only a few zones, thats a wide swath of time and could be possible for a huge number of people.
The people for whom it's possible will think its real, and those who don't just dismiss it. You only notice the correct hits, not the complete misses.

Or maybe NC quick pass has a security hole they haven't figured out yet

As said, a scam. I got something similar once and I started thinking how they got my cell number, my car registration is not linked to it, so must be a scam. I deleted the text and nothing since.

i will tell you to not ever blow through the ones in wv going to GER. Wife did coming up to meet me, no cash so I had just go they will bill us. Came up to something over 200$ they charged 50$ per toll to “investigate” even though it came as one bill.
Damn, I did that 3yrs ago but luckily didn't get anything, now I just got the no tolls route :laughing:

I'll admit it almost got me too. Its very well dome.

I was wondering this too, but to my knowledge (and I could be wrong) I've never been on an NC toll road with any of our curent vehciles, and even if I'm wrong I've definitely never given them my phone number to tie to a plate.

First time I got it was not too long after we'd been in NC (same visit when I visited you) and we'd used the automated parking system at CLT. I initially thought maybe it was tied to that and the state had somehow gotten our contact info through it. But some digging showed they are seperate entities and don't share info.

My guess is its 90% psychology of coincidental info causing the illusion of correlation. Because its normal for "state run things" to be really slow in billing and recordkeeping, all it takes is somebody thinking that in the last, say, 2-3 months they may have been on any toll somewhere in the state to think its valid. While there's only a few zones, thats a wide swath of time and could be possible for a huge number of people.
The people for whom it's possible will think its real, and those who don't just dismiss it. You only notice the correct hits, not the complete misses.

Or maybe NC quick pass has a security hole they haven't figured out yet

I suspect they are paying for location data collected by the phone companies, and sending it to phones that were near toll roads. My wife got a similar text a while back after we went on a trip. I was driving the whole time, and we didnt go on any toll roads. Her location was on, and mine was not.

I suspect they are paying for location data collected by the phone companies, and sending it to phones that were near toll roads. My wife got a similar text a while back after we went on a trip. I was driving the whole time, and we didnt go on any toll roads. Her location was on, and mine was not.
Ooooh thats a very real possibility.

Got one of those yesterday as well. Total scam.

Seems like a good place to ask. What does it usually cost to take the express lanes end to end on 77 near Charlotte? We passed through there last week to and from the beach since we couldn’t take 26. Just wondering what kind of bill to expect in the mail. :laughing:

@Hokie_YJ.....it depends. I77 is dynamically priced so the rates change daily/hourly etc based on the amount of traffic in the general lanes. If there is congestion in the general lanes, expect toll prices to rise and vice versa.

I think a normal I77 day you could probably expect around $15-20 depending on where you got on/exited.

Monroe/Triangle Expressway is easier since they are all static priced. Last time I checked it cost around $4 to drive the full length of the Monroe Expressway.

Speaking of bill by mail, go get a free transponder and load money onto your account(minimum $10). You get a 50% discount on using it. Bill by mail went up quite a bit this year because its hard to turn a profit sending out a $3 bill/envelope for a $1 toll.

Seems like a good place to ask. What does it usually cost to take the express lanes end to end on 77 near Charlotte? We passed through there last week to and from the beach since we couldn’t take 26. Just wondering what kind of bill to expect in the mail. :laughing:
77 is expensive. I took it for a few miles and it was about $20. Monroe makes sense, $4 and change each way, and I save like 20 minutes each way and there's nobody out there.

What does 77 cost? An arm and a leg, plus your first born! It's ungodly what they charge. Last time I went through, was 20 bucks each way.

Back