Is trail etiquette lost now?????

Exploderpilot

I was at Uwharrie over the weekend with a few friends and noticed some of the worst trail ettiquitte I have ever seen.

There was a large jeep club there that rode as a large group... fine

1st problem they had a guy pop a tire on dickey bell and parked blocking the entire trail where no one could get around at all.

2cnd problem I had my truck parked off the side of a trail and the smae club rode through and everyone of them ran into my truck, not a big deal since my truck looks like its been run over, but not one appologized or seemed even concerned

3rd problem ran into them again at Kodak Rock and a cherokee broke a rear driveshaft right at the bottom of the rock garden and no one was prepared to help him get his jeep out of the way, and he was determined to go up the left side of kodak rock in front wheel drive.

4th problem know that there was a line of trucks waiting to run up kodak rock and having a two of the jeeps make laps up and down the rock garden area with no regard for someone else lining up to make a run at the obstacle.

5th problem at the slick rock slab on daniel the entire group of jeeps shows up as we are coming back down. The whole club parked all over the area so that no one could get through while two or three of the guys spent all the time they wanted playing on the slab.

I was just blown away at the lack of common courtesy. In my experience bigger clubs tend to attempt to be courteous while they are on the trail but these guys stopped and blocked the trail and inconvenienced everyone that wound up behind them all day.

Anyone else noticed that trail etiquette has been on a steady decline?

What day did you go to URE on? If it was a Saturday morning then expect that. I plan URE trips for the middle of the week and have the whole forest to myself. I take the risk of wheeling alone but it has alway paid off. Welcome to URE

who was the club? if you want them to change or better yet explain their douchebaggery, publicly out them.

Secondly, yes. trail etiquette is lost for many people. I may be an a-hole online but I always try and help people out when I can. Also, I see more and more where people no longer stop or lend a helping hand like they used to. I'm not talking about fellow club members but strangers. hell, one time I spent a couple hours getting a guy out of the woods and he didn't even say thanks.

We were talking bout this same thing. The Toyota Tacoma group that was out there said the jeeps had it clogged for over 30 mins. We didn't run in to that but saw a lot of dunbass people on 4 wheelers and dirt bikes.

Sent from my smart box using Tapatalk

If they are one 33's or similar they may be inexperienced and truely don't know any better or maybe high school kids that simply don't care.

or just a bunch of inconsiderate a$$holes.. I have seen this many times there. However not from a "club" mostly from a bunch of mallcrawlers, most of the time in land rovers...

URE is the worst in my opinion for people having no trail etiquette

URE = occasional wheelers or newbies. Instead of bitchin online about it, use that time to type up an informative letter and send it to the club. Send it to Scott from UORTC and get him to do a "trail ettiquite" class or something at his jamborees. Something!!! Not everyone is nice and not everyone knows. Experience and web wheeling teaches a lot but if they are occasional riders or newbies, its likely they don't know much different.

Communication and education is, by far, the largest gap with it comes to most any problem or issue.

When we go, we are usually in a group of 15-20 rigs, if we come to an intersection, and theres a big group, we will go whichever way they are not, in hopes of avoiding clutter.

As far as Kodak, we usually break off, 2 or 3 of us will go to the bottom and start up, while the rest go on and park, and either spectate and wait, or spot those trying. Parking 15 rigs at the bottom would be rediculous. I always carry recover gear, more than I need, because someone always forgets it. Last time I was at Uwharrie I gave my spare rear driveshaft to a kid, who needed it, was stranded, and said he couldnt pay for it. I gave him my number, told him to borrow it, get home, and get me another one. Obviously I never heard back, never expected to, but if he had, I would have respected him for it.

I always make a point to talk to the group, or people who are acting out, maybe they just dont know better. But if your gonna come online and bitch about it, without saying anything to them in person, well then thats your own damn problem IMO. Anyone who knows me knows I will gladly call you out if your acting like a douchebag, and have never had a problem running my mouth, so if someones being an asshole, Ill say hey man why are you driving like that? Usually get a response like "I didnt know" and they apoligize and go on there way. Though on a few occasions its been a drunk guy, says "Fuck you man, I dont care" and in those cases I usually give them bad directions and have a laugh.

Ill agree that Uwharrie is the worst for this

When we go, we are usually in a group of 15-20 rigs, if we come to an intersection, and theres a big group, we will go whichever way they are not, in hopes of avoiding clutter.

As far as Kodak, we usually break off, 2 or 3 of us will go to the bottom and start up, while the rest go on and park, and either spectate and wait, or spot those trying. Parking 15 rigs at the bottom would be rediculous. I always carry recover gear, more than I need, because someone always forgets it. Last time I was at Uwharrie I gave my spare rear driveshaft to a kid, who needed it, was stranded, and said he couldnt pay for it. I gave him my number, told him to borrow it, get home, and get me another one. Obviously I never heard back, never expected to, but if he had, I would have respected him for it.

I always make a point to talk to the group, or people who are acting out, maybe they just dont know better. But if your gonna come online and bitch about it, without saying anything to them in person, well then thats your own damn problem IMO. Anyone who knows me knows I will gladly call you out if your acting like a douchebag, and have never had a problem running my mouth, so if someones being an asshole, Ill say hey man why are you driving like that? Usually get a response like "I didnt know" and they apoligize and go on there way. Though on a few occasions its been a drunk guy, says "Fuck you man, I dont care" and in those cases I usually give them bad directions and have a laugh.

Ill agree that Uwharrie is the worst for this

And to add, Jeff hit in on the money, when we hit the outpost, we have heard a few times "The Rover guys are here" and our hearts sink, we just talk to every group we come upon and ask which way they went, or if they have seen them, because if you get boxed in behind those assholes you might aswell park and take a freaking nap. They always let there dogs run amuck too, Ill have my dog with me, but on a leash.

I dont believe that Kodak rock comment, how can 2 Jeeps loop around if alllllll of yall were waiting

Sound to me like they thought yall were just watching...... Its ure get out and make friends n.let people know if they are being rude, I yell at assholes for litering every time im out there

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

I had a group of douche bags coming down Daniel in a stock xj. This xj had clogged the trail earlier in the day and I let them know nicely. Having a pos and no regard for its vndition I pulled up to the clog and offered to either push the guy out of the way or run it over. They got it out of my way. It all comes down to who cares less about their ride and I have no respect for mine
Another time I about ripped a guy off his 4 wheeler for hitting my dog and peppering me with rocks on the hill climb on dutch Jon.

Complaining is why we loose places to ride... Whether it's fisherman complaining about dirty water or horse people complaining about the noise or 4wd guys complaining about other 4wd guys. Why do we keep having these threads? URE has been full of idiots as long as I've been going just like all the other public wheeling spots. It's part of wheeling so why keep adding fuel to the fire by complaining about it.

Complaining is why we loose places to ride... Whether it's fisherman complaining about dirty water or horse people complaining about the noise or 4wd guys complaining about other 4wd guys. Why do we keep having these threads? URE has been full of idiots as long as I've been going just like all the other public wheeling spots. It's part of wheeling so why keep adding fuel to the fire by complaining about it.

Because my pussy hurts, Damit!

I see your point but this is about how to treat each other on the trail. i agree we could leave out some of the examples but for the most part I think this is something worth bringing up from time to time. people may not get the education they need just from showing up and riding around.

If they are one 33's or similar they may be inexperienced and truely don't know any better or maybe high school kids that simply don't care.

Ummmm....my first trip to UNF was in 1986...before a lot of guys here were born. Ran Jordan back in the late 70's. I run 33's.

I see your point but this is about how to treat each other on the trail. i agree we could leave out some of the examples but for the most part I think this is something worth bringing up from time to time. people may not get the education they need just from showing up and riding around.
There will always be idiots everywhere. On the road, in the grocery store, your neighbors. Unfortunately when you go out to wheel and enjoy the weekend they're there too. You can't teach stupid out of people you can only hope it doesn't rub off or hurt you.
There are people in this thread that I've seen do stupid trail stuff just like we're all describing.

There will always be idiots everywhere. On the road, in the grocery store, your neighbors. Unfortunately when you go out to wheel and enjoy the weekend they're there too. You can't teach stupid out of people you can only hope it doesn't rub off or hurt you.
There are people in this thread that I've seen do stupid trail stuff just like we're all describing.
I agree but when I first started I learned a lot from the interwebs. Whether they post or not, there are people who will read this that I hope will learn a little bit.

yeah it just gripes me when its just a b/s session, if somone's broken i can jump in and help, or if they are having issues getting through or over an obstacle i can lend some advice or a strap but if they are just shooting the breeze i get angry at their lack of respect for others, oh and don't get me started on people letting their dogs run loose, it is not the dogs place to know to stay out of the way of rigs it is the owners place!!!!! oh!!! and random ass people coming up and spotting for me what the hell???? who are you and what are you doing get out of the wayyyyy!!!! are you stupid I do not need you to winch me up it my winch works fine and so does reverse I will give it three tries if I am not progressing I will back out and move on so others can have a try!!! and no I don't want you random ass dudes pulling out my cable so i can say i made it up!!!!!!! i don't count cable pulls as a win..........

BOTTOM LINE BE RESPECTFUL!!!!!!!!!

and pick up your crap!!!!! i hate to see litter and worse i hate to see some asshole roll his junk and then leave trash everywhere if you are not hurt get it back on all four, get it out of the way, and then clean up your trash!!!!!!

(sorry stepping off soapbox now)

Back