Isuzu rodeo spool

Yea but from what I have read it’s a different Dana 44 but that is from what I have read. Also I cannot remove the spider gears without removing the ring gear, the dana 44 I had in my jeep tj I could remove spider gears to install an Aussie locker

That’s what I was thinking but again I read that a full spool is stronger than a mini or welding the spider gears

A full spool is usually stronger than a welded open or mini spool - both rely on using the stock carrier/differential. However, properly welded spider should be equally as strong as a mini spool, and possibly (i would think) stronger than the mini depending on the particular design.

What year did it come out of? 98 and later were wider (maybe 61-62") early-mid 90s were about 58" wide. There are some differences - there's a good thread on Pirate in the Isuzu section about the later model rears.

It was a 2000 my problem is I have to remove the ring gear to install an Aussie or mini spool I can’t just remove spider gears another question is do I have to set backlash again if I remove ring gear to install a full spool

Yes you would have to reset backlash if you change from the carrier you have now. Just removing and reinstalling the ring gear should not change the backlash on the same carrier.

Ok just to clarify by adding a full spool would cause me to reset the backlash

It might not change, but you definitely need to check it, and may need to change the shims.

Weld it. Full spool is great and effective and cheaper than a Detroit or other full lockers for many uses. You should pull the ring gear assembly out anyway to weld it properly. If you were regearing and going spool then I would say use the full spool. You will at least have to check the backlash/gear pattern if you add a full spool but will possibly have to adjust/shim it.
Your desired effect is a locked rear end on a Dana 44. A welded rear end will be stronger (IMO) than adding an Aussie or other drop in locker to the carrier.
And it's still a Dana 44.

Back