It's not a Jeep Fawker

Stankoma

Yearly Wheeler
I was just watching the Top Truck Challenge on 4-wheeling TV and there's a blue Toyota LC doing a run through the tank trap and the annoucer says "Phil's Jeep is on it's side." I mean even with most of the body hacked off, it still says TOYOTA right on the front. If you're annoucing a 4-wheeling show, you'd think you'd know a little something about truck models.

Like that Hummer mpeg that's floating arond the internet busting on Jeeps... they say something abou tlook at this jeep flop.. and it a damn Toyota pick up that's been tubed in the back..... not even an open top 4wd... a pick -up!

I took my jeep to compete after it was sorta cut up and someone told me "nice yota"...I could care less...yota people get way bent outta shape about that crap...and that particular FJ had a lot of chevy and ford in it...more so the Yota.

Stankoma said:
I was just watching the Top Truck Challenge on 4-wheeling TV and there's a blue Toyota LC doing a run through the tank trap and the annoucer says "Phil's Jeep is on it's side." I mean even with most of the body hacked off, it still says TOYOTA right on the front. If you're annoucing a 4-wheeling show, you'd think you'd know a little something about truck models.

The past two weeks the same anouncer refered to the red k5 blazer as a suburban, and the green suburban a highly modified blazer...

Not like it really matters, but it pisses me off. If you are going to talk about something on tv, atleat know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

i get that all the time with my samurai. and MAN DOS THAT PISS ME OFF. its not a freakign jeep!

:shrug:

"Jeep" is like "Xerox" or "Kleenex".... brand names that have become synonymous with a particular type of product. IN this case, a highly capapble off road vehicle.

It bothers me too, though. :flipoff2:

So that is how Toyota came up with the FJ name. Little Japanese men in lab coats running around saying "Its not a Fawking Jeep". :lol:

Didn't Toyota start building "jeep like" vehicles right after WWII? I wonder what they were based upon? :D

<><Fish

Probably the same thing the Brits based the Land Rover on... a Soviet GAZ. :flipoff2:

FishHunt said:
Didn't Toyota start building "jeep like" vehicles right after WWII? I wonder what they were based upon? :D

An idea.

They just took the inadequecies of the Jeep and fixed 'em with a MUCH stronger engine, stronger axles, better drivetrain, etc...

All of which we replace when we start playing with 'em with domestic (non-Jeep) parts anyway...

I used to care.. even had the "Not a Jeep" stickers made up... Now it's just my instant "I know nothing but want to sound like i do" indicator.

Though I do have to ask now when people say it.. "Thanks, but what makes you think it's a Jeep?" They usually can't answer.

FJ = Fag Jeep :flipoff2:

Im kinda a jeep person if I 'had' to be branded just for a combination of simplicity and ease of parts shopping. But I really dont care what people drive as long as they wheel it. Im not a yota person by any means, but watching Cperry beat his for 40 minutes damn hard and then make the obstacle...you have to show some appreciation. :driver:

I think LR and Xterras are the most branded and hating to other flavors, just from my experience from the trail.

By the time we get our rigs really trail ready then alot of the stock parts are gone. And the parts are gone because they are not capable of doing what we want them to do.

so they are realy only some sheet metal with a VIN plates

BUCKETOBOLTS said:
I understand completely. I get the same thing with my Bronco all the time.

Yeah, it's pretty refreshing when someone actually says "nice bronco" rather than jeep. But it doesn't really bother me that much, brand loyalty is overrated. As to the fj and eb...they looked at what sucked with the jeep and other 4x4's of the time and improved upon them. Which is why both are universally accepted to be far above any factory jeep. :flipoff2:

braxton357 said:
Yeah, it's pretty refreshing when someone actually says "nice bronco" rather than jeep. But it doesn't really bother me that much, brand loyalty is overrated. As to the fj and eb...they looked at what sucked with the jeep and other 4x4's of the time and improved upon them. Which is why both are universally accepted to be far above any factory jeep. :flipoff2:

I second that motion. :beer: What else came factory with the equivelent of a 302, Dana 44 up front, and a 9" in the rear with fatory Traclok and was still small enough to wheel in tight places?

When people see my 4Runner ('89) w/ the top off, and ask about it, I often get the same response - That's a 4Runner? I had no idea they ever looked like that...
most people equate "4Runner" w/ "Big and fancy and lots of $$$".
Also asked, "Did you do all that fab work yourself?" Its pretty much stock w/ big tires, haha.

I think brand owners are about the only ones able to identify the brands easily. Most wheelers can because they see them on the trail or know someone that wheels one (anything).

Matt :huggy:

Nobody recognizes zooks. :rolleyes:

isnt everything a jeep?

Samurai= Japanese Jeep/ tiny jeep
Wrangler= Common Jeep or American Jeep
FJ= F.ake J.eep or the "I'm so close Jeep"
Defender 90= Brit Jeep
Early Broncos=Big Jeeps
hummer h1's= Bigger jeeps

Most evrything else falls into the "other" category
which is Display Only jeeps Ex: X5, Liberty, ect..

its annoying!!!

When I was in Aruba, I rented a "Jeep", well, I thought I was getting a real Jeep TJ, but what I got was a crap ass suzuki/diahatsu/ugly ass ride thingy. No, it wasn't 4wd and only the back of the top came off like the old Rocky, but the rental people called it a Jeep. I argued and argued that I wanted a real Jeep and they argued that I had a Jeep. never ending battle with them, so I paid my $30/day and went on with the piece of crap. Oh well, I wheeled the crap out of it and had fun anyway.

Later that week I had to get my Jeep fix so we went on a Jeep Safari in which we had to put it in 4WD and used actual TJs. Looked like Rubicons repainted to the compay's bright yellow colors. Now that was a real Jeep (at least by brand definition)...

Rob

bronco4jesus said:
The most annoying thing is when people call my girlfriends BRIGHT turqoise blue 2wd Geo Tracker a jeep

thats like me calling a old caddy a bentley

Haha...you must be new at these analogy things. It's more akin to calling an old caddy a lincoln rather than a bentley. :flipoff2:

bunch of noob's don't you know that ALL "trail rated" rigs are jeeps :flipoff2: :D

just ignore me... I'm drinking :beer: :rolleyes: (J.W. Dundee's Honey Brown)

I gotta admit I was offended when someone called my EB a Jeep. I might have to hurt them if they called my Toyota a Jeep! :flipoff2:

Back