Jeep 4.0 Exhaust Manifold.

95Trooper

I've recently acquired a 1998 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 and the exhaust manifold is cracked. It has a dorman exhaust manifold on it currently... Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Should I put the same one back on it or is there another, better option for the Jeep? It's cracked pretty bad or I wouldn't even bother changing it. It's also cracked in a spot where it would be extremely tough to just weld it back so at this point it just makes sense to change it out.

Whatever you do, make sure the exhaust downstream of the manifold has some give. One reason they all crack is from being rigid mounted to the chassis while the manifold moves with the engine.

I also bought a cheap stainless eBay “header” like @Jeff B. But like @Jody Treadway said I also reworked and ensured the rest of the system was “floating” so there wasn’t binding. It lasted a couple solid years of wheeling and beating the snot out of it. Still going strong with the new owner.

I also bought a cheap stainless eBay “header” like @Jeff B. But like @Jody Treadway said I also reworked and ensured the rest of the system was “floating” so there wasn’t binding. It lasted a couple solid years of wheeling and beating the snot out of it. Still going strong with the new owner.

I need to weld in a piece of flex in mine.

A buddy used one of these right after it makes the turn and goes past the Tcase. He also had real good luck making it last.
61D9F1E2-55E0-49F1-9EC1-CD84529FDE58.png

much cheaper at vatozone. I'll probably place mine at the turn behind the engine.

And most of the time the brace just past the flange at the bell housing is missing/broken. I've welded about a dozen this year. I've had good luck with welding them. Of course, I have seen a few come in already welded & cracked also. Adding a flex section is the best solution. I'd put it in the straight section under the bell housing if it were mine. Just seems to make the most sense.

Back