Jeep CJ 304 rebuild or buy a new Crate motor?

btmagician13

Just bought a 73 CJ5 with a 304 in it. 39000 original miles and had a bearing fall out of it. Should I rebuild this engine to keep it original or should I just buy a new crate motor?

If I rebuild it, what would I be looking to spend if I have the whole engine repainted when it was apart and get all new hoses etc as well?

My plan is to completely restore the jeep so I dont want to take any shortcuts

If you are doing a complete resortation then I wouldn't think that you have a choice of putting a crate motor in. Restoration means that you are going to get it back to near showroom condition. Now if you are looking to get the body restored and repower then the option of a create motor comes in. Personally I would rebuild the 304 or find a 360/401 to replace it. Even if I was replacing with a running motor I would steam blast it and paint it.

i would put in a 360, a 4 speed and a d300. put the body back to factory look, and have fun driving it. by the time you replace that 304, you could have got your hands on a 360. granted the t-150 wont last, so be on the look out for a t-176 or t-18.

like we talked about, let me know when you get started.

i would put in a 360, a 4 speed and a d300. put the body back to factory look, and have fun driving it. by the time you replace that 304, you could have got your hands on a 360. granted the t-150 wont last, so be on the look out for a t-176 or t-18.
like we talked about, let me know when you get started.

I agree, swap in a 360. The T150 will last if you're not too crazy on the skinny pedal. First gear sucks though. I ended up swapping in a t-18 because of that, but the t-150 lasted 2 years behind my 360

I had a 360 V8 in my CJ5 and LOVED it. it all depends on what you want. you can pick up a 360 for very cheap and it will have more potential than the 304.

word of caution though, the t176 is only a medium duty 4spd. it lasted a while behind my mostly stock 360 but finally bit the dust when someone dumped the clutch to do a burnout (wasn't me btw). a t18a is great offroad because of the granny gear but on the road you'll start from 2nd so it's just like driving a t150, just stronger. if you don't need the granny gear, you might be able to score a t18 with the 4:1 first gear. same great strength but with a street-usable 1st gear.

I put a used 360 in mine and like it a lot. My 304 bit the dust a while back. I picked up a 360 and 727 trans for $200. Been running them for two years now!

:beer:

Back