Jeep cj amc 20 rear dics brake conversion?

78cj5Guy

? On Jeep cj amc 20 rear dics brake conversion
I am currently running Suzuki sidekick front rotors and Nissan 300ZX brake caliper and pads is there a better option while I have to replace parts do to pads falling out ?

Wow! I haven't heard of that one. Years back I researched for a conversion on the amc 20. Never came up with what I thought was acceptable. I think the biggest issue was the park brake concern. I finally dropped the idea. Running a D44 now, but still on drums. Still no workable park brake on the 44 either! lol I had a line-lock installed on the front rotors. So for me, that's my park brake. Maybe over the years someone has cobbled something decent for the amc20.

Last edited:
What is your front axle drum or disk?
Might be better to swap in a later front axle with disk if you have drum all the way around.
I have a 78 CJ5 Disk up front and drum in the back running 32" tires, manual brakes, I'd say I lost some distance for sure when I went bigger but I would say brakes are adequate for the setup.
Or find a 8.8 with disk if you are ok with non AMC parts, Full width or narrow track may be an issue though too.

Might be better to swap in a later front axle with disk if you have drum all the way around.
I have a 78 CJ5 Disk up front and drum in the back running 32" tires, manual brakes, I'd say I lost some distance for sure when I went bigger but I would say brakes are adequate for the setup.
Or find a 8.8 with disk if you are ok with non AMC parts, Full width or narrow track may be an issue though too.

Axles are 85 cj7 axles was converted to disc rear with the Nissan setup when I bought the axles

Back when I was looking for the AMC conversion, I don't know if Jegs had one, but I Too had Moser axles. Did you read the 1 review of what looks like 1 customer tried their kit, & Returned it. There were several Weld-on GM kits, but I didn't think the park brake would be worth a crap. A Lincoln in the 80s or 90s, had a 9" rear with rear disc & hat style rotors [built in park brake]. It would still need a weld on bracket & salvage yard shopping.

Back