Jeep turn signal help needed

spectac

oldbie
i have an ‘05 Wrangler LJ. The turn signals stopped flashing a few weeks ago. The lights all come on when the headlights are on, they just don’t flash. Same when I try the hazard lights.

- Checked the fuse behind the glove box and it was good.
- replaced the flasher relay on the column.
- replaced the multifunction switch on the column.

Where should I check next?

This happened to me and it was the flasher... I am not sure what else would be the culprit. You sure the flasher is getting power?

A little more info, just found out my brake lights don’t work either. Thinking it may all be due to that. The tail lights are LEDs from quadratec. Probably gonna have to replace the whole thing.

Maybe double check the wiring to the tail lights if they are spliced in. Check brake/turn/tail with a test light. Try the original lights if you have them. I'll try to remember to pull the diagram when I'm back at the shop.

This may not be the root of your problem, but it sounds eerily similar to a situation I had a year ago with my 04 TJ. It lost backup lights periodically. I replaced bulbs, checked wiring, couldnt find the culprit. Took it to Johnny's Auto and Marine Elec in Garner. Turned out to be the ignition module. Apparently it controls alot of accessory wiring such as lights, turn signals, etc. and is not easily identifiable as the culprit. Just a thought about something worth checking. I can't offer advice on checking the module but it may be worth investigating.

Tagging OP
@spectac

Been there before. Ended up being the flasher relay. Needed a different one because of the LED's. Even when I got the right one it would get loose here and there and I'd have to wiggle it back on some more. Hopefully this helps, hanging around to find out.

I picked up a power probe to check the wiring. Hopefully I’ll have some time this weekend.
The biggest thing that’s confusing me is that the lights are on. They just don’t flash.

I picked up a power probe to check the wiring. Hopefully I’ll have some time this weekend.
The biggest thing that’s confusing me is that the lights are on. They just don’t flash.
Have you replaced the flasher relay with an electric one? LED's don't have the resistance to make a normal flasher work. Or install resistors on the circuit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Have you replaced the flasher relay with an electric one? LED's don't have the resistance to make a normal flasher work. Or install resistors on the circuit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I put an LED specific flasher in a year or so ago when I switched to LED lights. And I tried a new one in an effort to fix this issue.

I had the same exact problem on the 97 TJ I had last summer. I spent a few days trying to figure out what was causing it.
I finally solved the issue,
I sold the jeep and bought another one with even more problems...........

I had the same exact problem on the 97 TJ I had last summer. I spent a few days trying to figure out what was causing it.
I finally solved the issue,
I sold the jeep and bought another one with even more problems...........
I feel like I’m getting pretty close to that point in my life as well. I want an older Jeep anyway.

Pulled the tail lights off the Jeep and applied power. All lights worked. Guess that’s not the issue. That means this problem is above my pay grade.

FWIW, my turn signals on my Yj would work intermittently. Most nights on my way home they might flash, or the driving light would be on but the flasher wouldn't work. I eventually broke down and decided to look at it. I found that the socket for the bulb had corroded and rusted. Being the cheap A I am, I sanded it all down clean and tried it again, same general issue. So I messed with the bulb wires that wrap around the base, and it started working, I did also have to manually "adjust" the socket clamps to make good contact with the blinker side of the electrode.. since then, no issues.

Oh.. this also effected my LED tail lights on the same side, sometimes they would work, sometimes they wouldn't... I had even removed one and re-did the wiring at one point thinking I had made a weak connection.

I messed with the wiring harness at the multifuncional switch. When I apply power to the brake light wire, they light up. And when I step on the brake, it energizes the brake input terminal. So power comes to there and can go from there with no problem. Any ideas on what could be in the middle that doesn’t let it work?

I messed with the wiring harness at the multifuncional switch. When I apply power to the brake light wire, they light up. And when I step on the brake, it energizes the brake input terminal. So power comes to there and can go from there with no problem. Any ideas on what could be in the middle that doesn’t let it work?

Sounds like a pinched or broken wire between there. Or bad connection on the back of the terminal most likely. Have you ohm'd out the wire from there to the bulb?

i have an ‘05 Wrangler LJ. The turn signals stopped flashing a few weeks ago. The lights all come on when the headlights are on, they just don’t flash. Same when I try the hazard lights.

- Checked the fuse behind the glove box and it was good.
- replaced the flasher relay on the column.
- replaced the multifunction switch on the column.

Where should I check next?

Did you get led lights made for the jeep, or order cheap amazon/ebay's? The cheap ones dont usually have labels. I was able to hook mine up and test then with a 9v battery to figure out what leads do what... just another thought...

Random, but what color is your lj. My wife had an 05 blue lj when we first dated.. she traded it in against my will. Lol saw it a few times at dealerships and wanted to buy it back.

Did you get led lights made for the jeep, or order cheap amazon/ebay's? The cheap ones dont usually have labels. I was able to hook mine up and test then with a 9v battery to figure out what leads do what... just another thought...

Random, but what color is your lj. My wife had an 05 blue lj when we first dated.. she traded it in against my will. Lol saw it a few times at dealerships and wanted to buy it back.

The lights are from quadratec and are made for the Jeep. I have put power to them and all functions work. And I don’t think it’s the wire to the lights because I can apply power at the column and they light up.

And the Jeep is green.

The lights are from quadratec and are made for the Jeep. I have put power to them and all functions work. And I don’t think it’s the wire to the lights because I can apply power at the column and they light up.

And the Jeep is green.

It sounds like you almost have it found...?... ohm it from the connections you know are good?

Fixed, kinda. Had to get a smart person to look at it.
For anyone that turns this thread up when trying to fix a similar issue, mine ended up being wire 11 in the multifunction switch harness. I believe it is shorted somewhere. When testing, it had the wrong polarity. I have not yet gone through the wiring to find where it is bad, but have simply run a new wire with an inline fuse that goes to an ignition switch controlled power source.

We found this image quite helpful while diagnosing the issue.
8821C58D-3D83-4F9B-B75A-20FFC6FFFA65.png

Back