jeep won't turn off

spraypaintman

I turn the key to the off position and take the key out but the jeep keeps running. It's an 85 cj7. What do you guys think?

Sell it to me . . . real cheap.

Does it start ok once you get it off? Is this the one thats been changed to the 350 motor?

Yeah it starts up fine. It's got the 305 chevy v8 in it.

It's possible the ignition lock is pretty beat up and falling apart.

ok it's not the ignition switch and not the ignition lock. What else could it be?

here's a pic of the alternator wires...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_MVC_001F_65.jpg

it's been awhile but that blue wire shouldn't be going straight to the batt terminal on the back of the alternator. does the jeep shut off if you disc this wire?

edit:eek:k now i looking at my old wiring diag info for this alternator. try switching the location of the blue wire and red wire on the side of the alternator and see if that fixes the problem.

Engine Run-on. I had it once after installing an MSD. Had to put a diode in the White wire on the Alternator. Have you done anything to the Ignition/electrical system lately?

Basically what happened on my was there was so much juice running though the system that it actually backcycled, and I had to put that diode in to act as a one way gate for the electrical current.

don't know if that's your issue, but it's a cheap fix if it'll work. Look up MSD Engine Run on.

Engine Run-on. I had it once after installing an MSD. Had to put a diode in the White wire on the Alternator. Have you done anything to the Ignition/electrical system lately?

Basically what happened on my was there was so much juice running though the system that it actually backcycled, and I had to put that diode in to act as a one way gate for the electrical current.

don't know if that's your issue, but it's a cheap fix if it'll work. Look up MSD Engine Run on.
I had to do the same thing after making my own wiring harness for a CJ using a duraspark box. I had the diagram saved, but that was on my ex-wife's laptop. The white wire/diode trick worked just fine.

didn't fix it yet...so you think I should switch the blue and red wires on the bottom of the alt?

yea, i have the same alt setup on my 350 and the way yours is wired in the pic constant battery power is coming from the lug on the back of the alt to the connection that is suppossed to be switched on and off with the ignition switch. at least that is how mine is wired up.

i think this is not allowing the alternator to stop charging even when you turn your key off.

I installed a diode from radio shack onto the red wire on the side of the alt and it shuts off fine now! Oh yeah and the diode was $1.68 so it was a very cheap fix! woo hoo!

Back