jk hood problems

r427

i was wondering if any jk owners are having any problems with the hood opening up on the highway if so i found a replacement for the rubber stock rubber strap up in boone at High Country 4x4 but if that is to far to go i think Tom's 4x4 in Lexington carries them as well. Just ask them about a steel replacement for the stock rubber part

Daystar also makes a polyurethane replacement that's much stiffer and solves this problem.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

i did see the daystar replacement but i figured that it was just another rubber type part and how well will it stand up to the uv rays, the stock one only lasted for about 10 months before it started letting go, so the daystar would last maybe 2 years, and then you would have to buy another one, the one that i got, i will never have to worry about it streching out.

Just take the hood spring off - it's free and will solve 90 of the hood flutter...

I have also seen people use the velcro strapping from Lowes and effectively stop this as well.

jk hoods

i finally got a chance to reply to the last posting. the hood spring has no effect on the hood flutter, it's only job is to pop the hood up so you can reach the safety release, next my jeep is only 2 years old i don't want to go "riging" something now and have problems down the road. when i spend my money i really like for it to count so i don't go around loosing more money and time fixing things. i don't mind spending a little more money if it is the last thing that i will have to buy especially since money is so tight for everyone today, and plus the part is made in the usa believe it or not. if there is anybody that wants me to post a pic. send me a message and i will shoot one out there.

I have the daystar replacements but I never put them on because I learned if I just keep it below 80 it doesn't flutter much except into a heavy front wind. It's a good reminder that I'm not driving a sports car anymore lol.

if i was you i would go ahead and put them on because your hood might be opneing up a little bit and your not seeing and you have got to figure that any amount of air that is getting in there is not helping your mpg. we all know that every little bit counts with gas at $3.45 per gallon, i don't won't to give any more to the oil companys than i have to.

i finally got a chance to reply to the last posting. the hood spring has no effect on the hood flutter, it's only job is to pop the hood up so you can reach the safety release, next my jeep is only 2 years old i don't want to go "riging" something now and have problems down the road. when i spend my money i really like for it to count so i don't go around loosing more money and time fixing things. i don't mind spending a little more money if it is the last thing that i will have to buy especially since money is so tight for everyone today, and plus the part is made in the usa believe it or not. if there is anybody that wants me to post a pic. send me a message and i will shoot one out there.

Sorry, just seeing this response - but I can attest - removing the spring has removed 90% of my hood flutter. I used to always have it with a passing semi on a 2 lane, not anymore. Also had it heading into a headwind - not anymore - unless we're talking gale force...

I am with you, I don't spend money on things - but we as Jeepers are always "riging" things - LOL

I'm not the only one that says this either...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jk+hood+flutter+spring

I eventually got around to installing the daystar ones. They are a ton tighter then the original. There's not flutter anymore and as a benefit my kid isn't strong enough to unlatch them when he's out in the yard playing either.

Back