July 19th 2014 URE Workday

Up here on bike right now and the major campsites along the trails are trashed right now. Good thing for next workday I am thinking.

I'm going the weekend after next so I'll try and get some notes of key areas and clean up the high traffic areas.

I've been either too busy or too broke to make it out there for the past couple of months (OK, so mostly too broke! :( ) but finally able to make a short trip on Friday and will spend a little time cleaning up what I can.

Shaggy

Somehow the 30% chance of spotty showers turned into 100% chance of non-stop torrential rain, so I wasn't able to do as much clean up as I had hoped but picked up a little bit and cleared some downed trees and branches. There was one HUGE tree down across the Dutch John service road that I alerted the FS about... I'm off to check Craigslist for chainsaws. ;)

Shaggy

My previous encounter with a fallen tree led me to add a chainsaw to my small collection of gear, although I've been having a little trouble finding information on what the rules/guidelines are for using a chainsaw out at the park? That is to say, I've read that cutting down live trees is prohibited (which is not something I would ever do anyway) and I also read that "harvesting" firewood in larger quantities requires a permit... but do activities such as clearing a downed tree, or collecting small amounts of wood for personal camping use require a specific certification and/or permit?

If someone would be willing to educate me a bit I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance!

Shaggy

You must be certified to run a chain saw in the forrest. Also requires chaps, ears and eyes. We will be doing a cert classes soon...

Depending on the course it should be about 3 days. You will also need to have taken a CPR / first aid class and be current on it. We have been trying for a while now for him to set up a class now. He has been busy this year.

Back