[Jun 15, 2013] Uwharrie National Forest OHV Trail Work Day (Eldorado, NC)

Gosh yes. I am thinking about just trying to splice a short section of that 100 foot cable onto ours if we can.
That would be great so we can use the rest on dutch john

Yes. That is the plan once i figured out how much we had to work with.

Just talked to the powers that be for this workday .

There has been a change of meeting place for this one and this one only.

New meeting place will be at 0900 at Janet's place in Arrowhead Campground. She is the host there at that campground. I will still be at the Outpost at 0800 and going into arrowhead from there. We will send someone down to the Hunt camp at 0900 for anyone that does not see this / come on here before then. Please pass this along to all that you know are coming out for this workday.

We will be going to the spray field after meeting with Janet to secure the stuff we need for this workday.

Thanks much.

Folks, be aware that last nights storm did a fair amount of damage across Montgomery County. Lots of power lines down, trees down everywhere. Not sure how the Eldorado area looks right now. I know you're all well equipped for this, but just thought I'd give a heads up.

I know two of our gated communities sustained serious damage, so I can only imagine it's the same across the county.

FWIW, I will be working with Snappy on the FOU equipment at the UORTC property, plan to be there about 8 a.m. Stop by if you get a chance, we could use an extra hand or two :)

Talked to forrest service, everything looks good down there. Maybe a few downed small limbs but nothing major reported....

Big thanks to 77GreenMachine and Curtis_H for their help today! We worked on the FOU loader, trying to get it operational. This has really been a process, finding parts for this machine is almost impossible, maybe why SFWDA gave it to us :lol:

We got the brake reservoir mounted, cleaned out all the mud around the bleeder valves and took them out and used a drill to get all the rust/mud out of them. Brakes are ready to bleed, probably need a vacuum bleeder, maybe get to that next time. If anyone has experience with the brakes on these machines and can help with the bleeding it would be great. Other than a few small items the loader is ready to be used as soon as we get the brakes bled!

Snappy brought gear oil and brake cleaner and Phil and Curtis got the oil changed in two of the hubs. We need 2 more quarts of gear oil to do the other 2.

Phil and Duke took care of getting some anti-freeze and water in the radiator.

The engine oil filler cap that I had ordered finally came in and fit like it was supposed to so that was nice!

Fastenal, http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex, donated some c-clip retainers and we got the outrigger foot mounted.

I finally remembered to take my welder this time and we got the exhaust fabricated and installed. Curtis and Phil did the welding, I did the watching! :driver:

Thanks again to all. Hope all went well on the trails. Thanks again to all who helped change my flat tire and plug my spare.

Thank you for coordinating all this snappy! We got 1 bridge fixed on Dutch John. There are at least 2 more that still need work. There must have been some awful storms that went through there. The bridge we fixed had cables break and it washed downstream a bit. Hopefully rocksandmud can post pics.

If the weather is good in July I'd like to try and get a couple crews and knock the remaining bridges out.

Last edited:
Yes. Our bridge on Wolf Den was way worse than the month prior. Both the cables had broke and logs were everywhere. The logs that were everywhere were filled with mud and rock / old cable so we had to redrill most of them out and or redrill new holes. It is done though and is like new again. Sorry, no pics from me as i had an energy drink or 2 and was busy running the drill / cables.

Overall Daniel was really clean, other than the bypasses before the first ledge. Somebody had moved one of the bypass blockage. So we put it back and fortified it. Also blocked another bypass before that one. Here are some pics.

Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371385440.951811.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371385467.356079.jpg

No before but the other bypass
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371385498.916249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Our crew went into Daniel heading for the downed oak tree , It was already cleared so we went right into fixing the bypasses below the first ledge. One block that we had done had been moved so we drug two logs back in it and filled it full of deadfall, it amazes me someone would bust their ass to move all of the old bypass just to get through there. We also stopped another below this one that was quickly starting to form. We then headed to sawmill and comensed trash pick up on our adopted CTB trail.

The recent storms have done some heavy erosion on the second ledge, It isn't so much a ledge as it is a 4 ft deep wash on the right side where you squeeze through, It is passible, I had to ride the wall hard on the left side.

There is a lot of work that needs to be tackled this winter when the trails are closed again as well. Snappy , thanks for the cordnation, and for everyone that came out I applaud you for busting youre ass for everyone that loves these trails.

Thank you to my crew, Chris Keziah, Flint Hollbrook, Thank you guys. Thanks to all CTB members that came out, JC, Phillip(77green machine). THANKS!

We had some awesome weather for the workday. Got a bit of a late start on the bridge over at Dutch John after acquiring supplies at the spray field. Here are some pics from before and after.

100_0704.JPG
100_0705.JPG
100_0706.JPG
100_0707.JPG
100_0708.JPG
100_0709.JPG
100_0710.JPG
100_0711.JPG
100_0712.JPG
100_0713.JPG

I met a lot of new folks and saw some familiar faces. Group of guys with some powerful full size Broncos did some serious towing. Rhett and Tony towed a large trailer with 10 new logs down Dutch John hill. I forgot the guy's name in the blue Bronco (sorry) helped Rhett down by attaching a strap to the trailer so he didn't have to fight gravity on his own. There are more bridges needing repair. I hope we all meet again.

FWIW, I will be working with Snappy on the FOU equipment at the UORTC property, plan to be there about 8 a.m. Stop by if you get a chance, we could use an extra hand or two :)

Was out of town Saturday morning, had to get up to Asheboro.

I really need to make it out to one of these. The Jeep is finally fixed to where I can drive it beyond a few hundred feet thanks to Minton's.

Guys I am so glad to see everyone joining in and making a difference, I am sorry I could not make this work day things are just insane at the shop right now and I had a wedding for one of my best friends Saturday evening. I hope to be at the next one to help out, Snappy my hat is off to you for doing what you are doing right now the amount of work you are putting into this is just amazing.

Thank you everyone!!!!

I cannot take any credit for this work day. I was not on the trail. I helped get the 3 groups signed in and had to leave to handle family stuff. We have a great group and it keeps growing!!!

Back