Just curious...

Trebissky

... about Lexan windshields. Are they legal for street/everyday use? If so, can one go into *ahem* an S15 Jimmy, for example? And what would it cost?

Street Legal and DOT approved are two very different things... I would not recommend the Lexan for a street driven rig, it flexes quite a bit at higher wind speeds, and windshield wipers scratch the crap out of it if any dust of mud gets on it... Speedglass would be nice though, its a Lexan type material with a hardened outer layer that cleans just like glass from what I understand.... But, on the legal issues, I can't really give you much more than that... If you made it fit like stock, used all the windhield trim and such (as compared to Rivets all the way around it looking like a race car) you'd most likely never have a problem until inspection time came around...

don't know, but go with Speedglass. I think its the same stuff used in NASCAR. I once priced it for my CJ and it was like $280 installed versus the $90 for the typical glass.

Rob

Lexan

I don't see why it wouldn't be legal to use lexan. Your not required by law to have a front winshield at all (IN NC) from what i understand. I'd go with the speed glass as well. my dad built a dune buggy a few years back and used plexiglass. It scratched easily but was legal in that application.

Hmm. Well, I think I'll just stick with what it came with, don't have $300 to play around with anyhow. Thanks for the info, anyway.

fryedaddy said:
I don't see why it wouldn't be legal to use lexan. Your not required by law to have a front winshield at all (IN NC) from what i understand. I'd go with the speed glass as well. my dad built a dune buggy a few years back and used plexiglass. It scratched easily but was legal in that application.

You just have to have a place to put the inpsection sticker. ;)

I got lexan in my 'yota and I see no flex at all driven at 80 MPH. (Downhill with a 100 mph tailwind) The wipers do scratch it, but zymol wax takes 'em right out. I used to (up to yesterday) drive it 53 miles one way to work. Couldn't put any of the trim back so You can see the screws I used to hold it in. (Screw rivets, too hard to replace the thing) I've never heard of Speedglass, but once I go through the two peices of Lexan (I got two windshields out of a 4x8 sheet) I might try it. It'll probably be quite a while now since I don't have to drive the thing every day. One note DO NOT use regular plexiglass. It will shatter if hit by a rock. Lexan won't. Just before I replace the one that's in it I'm gonna hit it with a baseball bat to see how it does. My bet is that it won't break. Also when I went to get it inpected they never said anything about it. (Just the tail Pipe and broken tail light.) :D I figured I'd let em put the sticker on the windshield. Next year come inpection time I'll do it and not worry about taking all the glue off. Just put the new sticker over the glue of the old one. You can't even see it.

Hey, can you cut that speedglass with a band saw or jig saw? (Mine has to be custom cut because the windshield frame is a little twisted from flopping it over.) I actually used a roto-zip to cut he two I have now. And how much is it for like a 4x8 sheet?

The legalitly gets mirky for an open topped vehicle such as a Jeep or Sammy, but for an S-15 Jimmy with a permanet hard top and doors, it would be more of a saftey issue. The reason windsheild glass is made to shatter the way it does it to facilitate removal from a wrecked vehicle. In mine I could crawl out through the gaps between the soft top and the body, so it wouldn't be a big deal. :flipoff2:

Back