Kid cell phone options…

The better value is to get on eBay and a year old model new full fledged smartphone for $150. Then if you wish to be controlling you have the latest Android to work with.
The Samsung A line is a pretty damn good deal.

I was giving my old iPhones to our kid, as they still work great after 2 years, and I keep buying the new one. Due to how much it was worth though and how responsible our kid was with their phone for over a year, they got a new iPhone 14 because with the trade in, it cost us almost nothing.

Same with those little signs that tell your speed in certain speed zones. I mean how do you really win against yourself?
Right. Why would you set the default display to "TOO FAST"

If it's just for texting, games/apps and internet access, my 6yo does that from her iPad. I do have restrictions on it though. In the event a phone call is needed, I think they can do that too from the ipad, but I can't call them. Usually though, if they need to call someone it's 'Alexa, call dad' or whatever. But at 13, I think I'd want them to be able to call from a mobile phone in the event they're at a school ball game or friends bday party or whatever and find themselves in an uncomfortable situation.

My girls are getting to the age where it’s probably about time to get them some phones.

We currently have Verizon. Additional lines are about $60 from what my wife said, which is absurd….

I’m looking for something much more affordable. Something with data, probably 10G or even unlimited if the price is right. Hopefully a carrier that is pretty universal with phones as I’m sure my girls will want iPhones and I’m not real keen on paying full price from the carrier.

Anyway, was checking out Consumer Cellular and their prices are awesome compared to my Verizon phone. Anyone have experiences with Consumer Cellular or any of the other discount carriers? I can get two lines of unlimited coverage for $65/month plus taxes. Seems like a great option but I’m open to ideas.

My girls don’t travel much without us, so if they have limited coverage, it’s probably not a major issue.

I've used this for the past 3 years. No problems.

Saved so much money compared to Verizon.

If it's just for texting, games/apps and internet access, my 6yo does that from her iPad. I do have restrictions on it though. In the event a phone call is needed, I think they can do that too from the ipad, but I can't call them. Usually though, if they need to call someone it's 'Alexa, call dad' or whatever. But at 13, I think I'd want them to be able to call from a mobile phone in the event they're at a school ball game or friends bday party or whatever and find themselves in an uncomfortable situation.
All this...and even tough we dont want to talk about it...active shooter situations.

My daughters school was on lockdown when she was in 8th grade let me just say hearing her voice and getting the real story saved me from a bad day

They both have iPads and iPods tbat they can text or call us if they have wifi. But, that doesn’t allow for any contact if they aren’t connected to a wifi somewhere, so we are needing to call them sometimes where that isn’t available. As they get older, then having their own phone number will be useful as well, both for us as parents as well as friends and family.

They both have iPads and iPods tbat they can text or call us if they have wifi. But, that doesn’t allow for any contact if they aren’t connected to a wifi somewhere, so we are needing to call them sometimes where that isn’t available. As they get older, then having their own phone number will be useful as well, both for us as parents as well as friends and family.
this problem is 100% solved for $1 to TextNow. You get a phone number. It only works for texts and phone, no other data.

We set our girls' up with permissions on who they can call and text on their ipads (don't ask me how my wife set that up).
It's fun to hear them talking to their cousins, or when they spend the weekend with grandparents it's been fun getting texts or facetime calls from them.
We can call them as well on theirs.

We set our girls' up with permissions on who they can call and text on their ipads (don't ask me how my wife set that up).
It's fun to hear them talking to their cousins, or when they spend the weekend with grandparents it's been fun getting texts or facetime calls from them.
We can call them as well on theirs.

They are probably using iMessage vs actual text and calls via FaceTime like you mentioned Vs actual cell calls. Apple to Apple it works on Wi-Fi no phone number (you can setup the Apple ID to an email).

Spectrum in your area? We switched from Verizon and haven’t noticed anything but faster internet. Verizon would throttle me back way before I used my data. We pay 30$ for 2 lines. bOGo for 1 year. Then it’s 29 a line after that. Even cheaper if you do data by the gig. Taxes and all included.
I'm pretty sure we are fixing to switch to Spectrum. Really hard to beat and the coverage seems to be good.

I'm pretty sure we are fixing to switch to Spectrum. Really hard to beat and the coverage seems to be good.

Not saying you don't know this, but a ton of people don't understand this.

In terms of coverage, there are only 3 that you can choose from - Verizon, AT&T, T Mobile - everybody else (well really 4, US Cellular has its own also but they aren't nationwide)
Everybody else is an MVNO, they buy from one of the other 3.

The real question to look at when choosing is how is there data prioritized on the network. Most of the MVNO's data priority is the lowest you get, what that means is that when its a congested network, your service will be the worst of anybody. That happens pretty rare though, unless you are in a big city, in a big event space, etc.

this is a great resource to check to see how each MVNO gets prioritized data. Pick what main provider you want, then price shop the MVNO's on that network that have better prioritized data (if that is something you care about). If not, buy the cheapest one you can find on that service provider as they will all preform the same. Spectrum from what I read lost prioritized data about a year ago or so. I look this stuff up fairly often since I switch carriers for prioritized data. I'm not a fan of spectrum since they require you to have their internet, so they lock you so they can screw you somewhere else.

Not saying you don't know this, but a ton of people don't understand this.

In terms of coverage, there are only 3 that you can choose from - Verizon, AT&T, T Mobile - everybody else (well really 4, US Cellular has its own also but they aren't nationwide)
Everybody else is an MVNO, they buy from one of the other 3.

The real question to look at when choosing is how is there data prioritized on the network. Most of the MVNO's data priority is the lowest you get, what that means is that when its a congested network, your service will be the worst of anybody. That happens pretty rare though, unless you are in a big city, in a big event space, etc.

this is a great resource to check to see how each MVNO gets prioritized data. Pick what main provider you want, then price shop the MVNO's on that network that have better prioritized data (if that is something you care about). If not, buy the cheapest one you can find on that service provider as they will all preform the same. Spectrum from what I read lost prioritized data about a year ago or so. I look this stuff up fairly often since I switch carriers for prioritized data. I'm not a fan of spectrum since they require you to have their internet, so they lock you so they can screw you somewhere else.
That was a great read.

I have a Verizon 4Gb postpaid plan, and never have any speed issues until we run out of data for the month, then it is unbelievably slow, which only happens about once every 3-4 months, in the last 2-3 days of the billing cycle. They keep trying to get us to upgrade to an unlimited plan, but I'm certain I would be aggravated with the speed, because I would be getting the cheapest unlimited plan, and it would also cost a lot more I believe. Our current plan is 4GB/month and $140/month for 4 devices.

That was a great read.

I have a Verizon 4Gb postpaid plan, and never have any speed issues until we run out of data for the month, then it is unbelievably slow, which only happens about once every 3-4 months, in the last 2-3 days of the billing cycle. They keep trying to get us to upgrade to an unlimited plan, but I'm certain I would be aggravated with the speed, because I would be getting the cheapest unlimited plan, and it would also cost a lot more I believe. Our current plan is 4GB/month and $140/month for 4 devices.

Sometimes I actually have valuable info!

If you don’t care about 5g. Visible basic plan is a good deal at 25 a month or the visible plus is only 35. No idea how long they will do it for but that’s a really good deal at 35. I pay 45 with them

This is a good read even for my main lines. We have 2 lines with Verizon and it’s unnecessarily expensive. Granted we have 2 unlimited lines and wifi hot spot enabled, but still is very expensive for what we get and use.

I’ll probably switch to something else even with lower priority service. If I’m at an event, then I probably don’t need a phone anyway and shouldn’t be surfing the internet. And the kiddos certainly don’t need priority service just to text their friends and make random calls.

whatever you get. Look into Circle.

it allows you to control time on phone, what they are watching, age restrictions, BLOCK social media :)

and you can control it from your phone.

I looked at Circle, and on the site it talks alot about being on a network. I am assuming this works without being on the home WIFI?

Nothing to add, just damn glad I'm not raising kids anymore. Screw phones and screw technology for folks under 18. Having everything good bad or indifferent at your finger tips is ruining man kind.

Back to regular "Programming". .......

This is a good read even for my main lines. We have 2 lines with Verizon and it’s unnecessarily expensive. Granted we have 2 unlimited lines and wifi hot spot enabled, but still is very expensive for what we get and use.

I’ll probably switch to something else even with lower priority service. If I’m at an event, then I probably don’t need a phone anyway and shouldn’t be surfing the internet. And the kiddos certainly don’t need priority service just to text their friends and make random calls.
I even did the math when Verizon started to mail me constantly to come back and get a free phone or heavy discount. It still wouldn’t work out in my advantage because they now make most of the credits over 3 years. I just buy whatever phone outright now. Visible will give you unlimited hot spot at 5gb but after 50 you might be slowed down. I think Verizon is the same

That was a great read.

I made the switch a couple years back. I had a grandfathered plan, 4 lines, something like 10gb. For $160ish/month. We were constantly getting calls to go unlimited, the only time we exceeded our data was when we'd do like 10day vacations, so once every 6-12 months. I think my wife's phone died. I got one of the 'pleeeease change plans' calls. I think you and Ron advised against me switching to unlimited. I negotiated two comp'd free upgrades for my wife's line and my line...I thought it was a good deal at the time. Wife got the hot new phone immediately, I needed a new one about 6 months later. I've been on the new plan now for about 2yrs now, and for the last 6 months, if I'm not on wifi, my phone is unbelievably slow. So I say all that to say, I think of you and Ron often.

I made the switch a couple years back. I had a grandfathered plan, 4 lines, something like 10gb. For $160ish/month. We were constantly getting calls to go unlimited, the only time we exceeded our data was when we'd do like 10day vacations, so once every 6-12 months. I think my wife's phone died. I got one of the 'pleeeease change plans' calls. I think you and Ron advised against me switching to unlimited. I negotiated two comp'd free upgrades for my wife's line and my line...I thought it was a good deal at the time. Wife got the hot new phone immediately, I needed a new one about 6 months later. I've been on the new plan now for about 2yrs now, and for the last 6 months, if I'm not on wifi, my phone is unbelievably slow. So I say all that to say, I think of you and Ron often.
Awww, that's so sweet! And I hate to hear that for you. I'm by no means an expert, I'm just naturally very cynical and untrusting of something that is both "more" and "cheaper".

Up in Rockingham County, Verizon sucks. I was paying $170 a month for 3 lines with unlimited data and didn't even have service in the house. The service was OK when I lived in Durham but as noted, it was expensive. I switched to T-Mobile, 3 lines with unlimited data, free Netflix and visual voicemail for $125 with 3 free Samsung S20 phones when I switched. I haven't noticed any significant slow downs with data as I get up in usage, the hotspot has been a live saver for work when Spectrum goes out and I have service (usually) at Uwharrie and last weekend at Potts Mountain.

So what I gather so far…

Verizon, T mobile, US Cellular and ATT are the big 4. They support the secondary services but prioritize their own users and deprioritize others if the network is overly busy, as in big cities or events.

So, if none of that really matters to me, depending on which carrier has service in my area, I’m pretty safe getting consumer cellular or similar and saving a ton of $.

Sounds like it’s safe to say I’ll be visiting some other services here soon and saving a ton of $. 😎

Oh, and any know issues using my current phone and phone number if I go with a different service? Currently have iPhone on Verizon.

Back