L-TEC PCM-750i plasma cutter

frankenyoter

No Rain, No Rainbow
So my neighbor just scored this for me. All he could say is it had an issue.

Is this thing worth having repaired at a shop if I can't figure it out?

I'd really like to have a plasma added to my arsenal of tools.

20160129_091440.jpg
20160129_091500.jpg

I picked up a machine that way one time. Big Lincoln 55 unit. Fixing it was going to cost about $500,and consumables were hard to come by and expensive. Never bothered with it. I wound up picking up a generic Chinese Cut50 off craigslist. I was dubious of paying full price for one off ebay, but now that I've used it, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Sure, it claims to be a 50A unit, and it struggles on 1/2" where a Hypertherm would blast on through, but I rarely need to cut 1/2", and I can deal with a little more cleanup. It does a surprisingly good job on 1/4, and performs beautifully on everything below. Consumables are dirt cheap, too. Lots of cut quality issues are caused by expensive consumables. Cheap bastards like me will try to eek every inch out of them, using them really beyond their intended usefulness. This results in wasted time cleaning up shitty cuts because I'm too stubborn to swap out an electrode or nozzle. With the Cut50, if I see the kerf starting to wander or dross getting bad, I swap parts and keep going without breaking a sweat.

Point is, I think you've fallen into a potential money pit. If it worked and had a few extra pieces with it, it would probably be worth it. If it's a blown fuse or busted wire in the cable assembly, it's probably worth it to try and get it going. Don't expect it to be a cheap repair, though, and don't get too invested in it. You can buy a brand new unit that was probably built as a clone of this guy for $300.

I will Chris. I've used those guys before. Never get anybody to answer though! I'll mess with it this weekend and drop it by for an estimate if I can't figure it out

Thanks @catfishblues for the scoop. I would rather set it out at 100 yrds and poke holes in it than have a money pit!

Before you turn it into a target, let me know what it's worth to ya. I also have an ESAB PCM-875 I might would trade for the right terms.

Before you turn it into a target, let me know what it's worth to ya. I also have an ESAB PCM-875 I might would trade for the right terms.

Will do. I probably won't shoot it anyway, plenty of plates set already!

I will Chris. I've used those guys before. Never get anybody to answer though! I'll mess with it this weekend and drop it by for an estimate if I can't figure it out

Thanks @catfishblues for the scoop. I would rather set it out at 100 yrds and poke holes in it than have a money pit!
Really?
He has been great for me. So feel free to name toss.

Back